I know we got some musicians here that can help me with this.

A guy I have played music with before in the past wrote and recorded this like 11 or 12 years ago before stumbling back on to the file and uploading it on youtube a few years ago. He told me he was in high school at the time that he recorded it on a computer and was messed up on coke, pot, pills, and booze. I like the Layne Staley (AIC) style singing he does and the vocal melodies...but the recording quality is rough so its hard to figure out what he was playing on guitar. We tried to listen and pick it apart tonight but for some reason could not get it. Today he is clean and sober, married with a kid, and has a home...and he kind of laughed at this and was like "Wow...I was just messed up dude!". But we got to thinking about redoing this with piano, and some light guitar with a very soft bassline and drumbeat. Thing is due to the quality we are having a hard time figuring out the key its in. I am thinking D minor, B, C, A minor, he was thinking E, C, B ish kinda of area. Anyone one here figure out the key? Any help would be appreciated.