Thread: Accuracy of the WASR-10

Accuracy of the WASR-10

I have a reddot on my WASR-10 and I was wondering what type of groups I should expect at 50 yards?
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That is hard to say really. AK rifles often do better or worse depending on the brand of ammo being used. I had a SAR-1 Romanian rifle. With the Irons it did 2 to 2.5" groups at 50 yards, double that at 100. When I put a red dot on it I was suddenly shooting 1 to 1.25" groups at 50 and double that at 100. You may get similar results and you may not. You'll just have to shoot it and find out.

Seriously people ... 31 looks and I'm the only responder! Fuck!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've never put my rifle in a bench rest and tested it for accuracy.

I can however, hit a 20oz soda bottle at 100 yards with this Kobra equipped SAR-1.

Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 10-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I would like to help, but I have never put a WASR-10 on paper. Even my daughter who owns the nationally famous WASR-10 Patriot Edition has never put it on paper.

That said, I have to agree with Schuetzenman that the SAR-1 is capable of 2" to 3" at 50 yards from a rest.

To help in accuracy with an AK variant, I would suggest making sure the muzzle crown is as good as possible. A good trigger group helps too, and most WASRs these days come with Tapco sets, so they aren't bad. Still polishing the contact surfaces can't hurt.

I shot it without a bench at 50 and it was not great but i was using some cheap ammo. I have a box of remington and will take my bench out and see how I do.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

I own an Bulgarian SLR-95, it will do 4 in at 100 with iron sights with Russian ammo all day long, this being said most Russian rifles go by the theory of Minute of torso and not MOA. In combat as long as ruskie puts a round in your ass they are happy, wounded or dead, makes no difference. Seen way to many wounds in Nam. The AK47 is one tuff as hell rifle the world over and is why it is preferred in most countries. Cost is cheap, rds are cheap, and accurate enough to get the job done. It is and will remain the #1 combat rifle in the world for many yrs to come.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Open sights, 4" to 4½" at 100 yards is about the best I've done with a 20" barreled MAK90 with bipod & bench.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I read a review in ShotGun News a few years ago where they tested a WASR-10. It shot better groups with Wolf than Winchester ammo.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I read a review in ShotGun News a few years ago where they tested a WASR-10. It shot better groups with Wolf than Winchester ammo.
    May mean the Winchester had a .308 bullet. Never had any of the Win or UMC brand x39 ammos, so never had a chance to mic the bullets. The Ak needs a .310 to 311 bullet.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I don't have any live ammo left, but I do have the brass from some Remington made 7.62x39 so I know they at least made some a long time ago. Don't feel like digging through the box o' brass to see what else I shot along time ago, but most of it seems to be Yugo stuff.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I would say 3"-4" at 100 yards is about the best you could expect with Irons. With a red dot I can't say, I've never used one on an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    May mean the Winchester had a .308 bullet. Never had any of the Win or UMC brand x39 ammos, so never had a chance to mic the bullets. The Ak needs a .310 to 311 bullet.
    I know Winchester has 7.62x39 brass cased. There's some on the shelf at the local Walmart that's been sitting there for months. Probably because it's $1 a round.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

For me, shooting from a bench I'll typically do about a 4" group shooting Golden Tiger or Red Army Standard after the barrel has warmed up. Same ammo thru my VZ2008 does 2" groups, both with red dots. My 7.62x39 AR can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards but it's built as a bench shooter with a heavy stainless barrel so it doesn't shift when it gets hot like the WASR does.