Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP Caves

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

GOP Caves

All this does is postpone the inevitable.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...the-good-fight
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Holy crap! Obama finally grew a spine, stood his ground, and stared them down!

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of backroom deal been made. It will be interesting to see what sorts of "compromise" suddenly happens now that the GOP is no longer holding the government hostage.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Conservative media behemoth Rush Limbaugh lashed out at the Republican Party on Wednesday, roundly castigating the GOP for failing to up-end the Affordable Care Act — also known as Obamacare. According to Talking Points Memo, the talk radio titan blasted Republicans as powerless and “irrelevant.”

“I was trying to think earlier today if ever in my life I could remember any major political party being so irrelevant,” Limbaugh said Wednesday. “I have never seen it. I have never seen a major political party simply occupy placeholders, as the Republican party is doing.”

“There hasn’t been any opposition, no serious opposition,” he complained. “There may have been votes against this or that. But in terms of…a package of principled beliefs of opposition expressed daily by party leaders against what’s happening in this country, there hasn’t been.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/1...-in-my-memory/
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of backroom deal been made. It will be interesting to see what sorts of "compromise" suddenly happens now that the GOP is no longer holding the government hostage.
    If this is truly your view then more power to you. If on the other hand this post is meant to inflame other members I would urge you to rethink your reason for posting and consider using the edit feature. I would also urge other members to take the high road when ever possible.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    If this is truly your view then more power to you.
    It just seems like Obama has bent over backwards to appease the GOP clear throughout his term, even when the Democrats controlled Congress. Signing on to the sequester, the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) "free trade" treaty, nominating right-wing cabinet appointments to key economic positions, Republican Secretary of Defense, and countless other examples.

Only now does he finally stand his ground and refuse to compromise, and only then does the GOP back down. It will be interesting to see how the rest of his term plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

You do not need much of a spine when you are dealing with this group of spineless Republicant's!
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop on my back!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

The cave was a forgone conclusion.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Bunch of pukes. I hope they all get primaried and replaced with Tea Party types.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post

+1

What did you all think was gonna happen???

Next up: AMNESTY!

If the repubs cave on this then they will guarantee dem dominance in perpetuity.

WWG1WGA

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

What he said!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I do not think the Republicans caved, though I am not happy with their decision. I am looking at it like this.

First, the press was against them. Like I posted somewhere else the questions posed to Democrats was "Do you think the Republicans will really shut down the government over Obamacare?" and the questions posed to Republicans was "Why are you shutting down the government over Obamacare?" This was taking a toll on the Republicans as the Low Information Voters were blaming them instead of looking at the issue critically to determine that the Democrats were not even trying to negotiate.

Second, the press and the Democrats were going to blame the Republicans for anything bad that happened if the debt ceiling was not raised. Again, this was the Democrats not negotiating. A good analogy was a father holding off criminals trying to steal his families livelihood until the criminals grab his son and threaten his life. In my analogy the livelihood would be taxing those who actually work to pay for health care for those who do not. The son would be the country defaulting on the debt.

Of course the Republicans either played right into this or were totally duped. To allow both the budget and the debt ceiling to expire within weeks of each other was not a fight the Republicans could win. They might have won the budget given enough time, but the debt ceiling with the financial crisis we are in, I just don't see how we win that without looking like Greece. And that will be blamed on the Republicans as well. As long as the Democrats can keep people from looking too closely at what it costs to provide all these things, they will continue to win until there is nothing left.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

The son would be the country defaulting on the debt.
    That's bullshit and was always bullshit.

There was NEVER any danger of a debt default. The gov brings in more money than is due on the debt. Payment on which is prioritized in the constitution. Therefore, the debt must be serviced before anything else. There is no discretion for the preezy to not make payment on the debt. Failure to do so would have been a craven and impeachable act by Obama.

WWG1WGA

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The only reason the republicans "caved" was that King Barack was not going to back down on his legacy to this country, obama-care, and he had the news media on his side telling us all that his not willing to negotiate was the republican's fault.

He kept using the excuse that obama-care was already law, set in stone and not up for negotiations. Wonderful, a 3 year old law is sacred, but a 220 year old law (the second amendment) is not.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    You do not need much of a spine when you are dealing with this group of spineless Republicant's!
    Apparently you did not NOTICE that the Republicans were getting fucking HAMMERED with bad press. The GENERAL PUBLIC MORONS, were blaming THE REPUBLICANS for this mess, NOT OBAMA or the Democrats. Don't accuse the Republicans of being spineless when faced with a lose lose situation. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback. I'm so PISSED OFF at how the Mainstream Media is just a PROPAGANDA mouthpiece to cover for Democrats and Obama. Fucking EVERY DAY I see a headline slamming the Republicans. The GOP offered Obama and the Democrats over a dozen bills, all of which KING OBAMA refused to even consider signing. Obama WANTED us to default. His entire agenda is to destroy the United States. What's FUCKED is that the Republicans will get the blame for it! How do you counteract that the MSM STILL manages to FOOL so many idiot voters?

There is no discretion for the preezy to not make payment on the debt. Failure to do so would have been a craven and impeachable act by Obama.
    Do you really THINK any craven or impeachable act by Obama will get ANY sort of PRESS by the Liberal MEDIA? Get real.

GOP Caves

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What's FUCKED is that the Republicans will get the blame for it!
    They will get blamed for it no matter what they do! Their job was to stick to their guns and get their message out. Rush made a great point to a caller today that Sen. Ted Cruz had no problem getting on TV and getting his message out. The other republifucks could have did the same thing as Cruz and Sen. Mike Lee did and they would be better off for it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop on my back!

Do you really THINK any craven or impeachable act by Obama will get ANY sort of PRESS by the Liberal MEDIA? Get real.

WWG1WGA

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Apparently you did not NOTICE that the Republicans were getting fucking HAMMERED with bad press. The GENERAL PUBLIC MORONS, were blaming THE REPUBLICANS for this mess, NOT OBAMA or the Democrats. Don't accuse the Republicans of being spineless when faced with a lose lose situation. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback. I'm so PISSED OFF at how the Mainstream Media is just a PROPAGANDA mouthpiece to cover for Democrats and Obama. Fucking EVERY DAY I see a headline slamming the Republicans. The GOP offered Obama and the Democrats over a dozen bills, all of which KING OBAMA refused to even consider signing. Obama WANTED us to default. His entire agenda is to destroy the United States. What's FUCKED is that the Republicans will get the blame for it! How do you counteract that the MSM STILL manages to FOOL so many idiot voters?
    What he said! So true!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Next up: AMNESTY!

If the repubs cave on this then they will guarantee dem dominance in perpetuity.

No, the third option...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast