Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turns Out Tea Partiers are Not as Dumb as Liberals

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Turns Out Tea Partiers are Not as Dumb as Liberals

A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers.

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of a set of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.
    Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...#ixzz2i0f3CrvC

The Professor hasn't actually met someone who identifies with the Tea Party but he knew they were not very bright. Funny.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Somebody alert LAGC!
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Damn, I lost my status as a knuckle dragging Neanderthal?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    its funny you say that.
    if we were half, just half, of what they use to describe us, they would never say a word.
    they would hide from the light of day, cause they would be hunted down like a rabid dog.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Dont give up. You can still try as long as your sleeve length is as long as your inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    its funny you say that.
    if we were half, just half, of what they use to describe us, they would never say a word.
    they would hide from the light of day, cause they would be hunted down like a rabid dog.
    That's a very interesting point there.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

He should do more studies and he would learn that "us" conservatives also know for a fact:

* Solar and wind cannot sustain the power useage of this country.
    * More guns equal LESS crime.
    * Electric vehicles use COAL for power.
    * Spending more means that you will owe more (but are backwards in practice -- Debt ceiling)
    * Nothing on this planet controls "climate change".

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 10-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Drink a half gallon of Jack in one hour or less.
    The most you'll be able to stand up is right about knuckle dragging height.
    You'll be just fine, trust me.
    Last edited by stinker; 10-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    Drink a half gallon of Jack in one hour or less.
    The most you'll be able to stand up is right about knuckle dragging height.
    You'll be just fine, trust me.
    Haven't tried that since my early twenties...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Nah, your status is safe.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Might be a correlation of supporting fiscal restraint and responsibility with the ability to understand math? Hmmm?
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Might be a correlation of supporting fiscal restraint and responsibility with the ability to understand math? Hmmm?
    For the win!!

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    its funny you say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    That's a very interesting point there.
    Agreed Rocker!
    And maybe, it is an idea whose time has come!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Somebody alert LAGC!
    Dammit! Didn't you get the memo? You're supposed to QUIT calling me and Kadmos out! You know we're only here to troll.

Nah, I think that's cool if its true. There are quite a few non-religious folks in Tea Party ranks who are really into science. Think we have a few on this board.

We've had posts here about relative knowledge of liberals vs. conservatives. I know conservatives always rank high on knowledge of civics and history, whereas liberals tend to have higher average IQ.

Wasn't it Saint Ronnie Raygun who famously said: "It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Wasn't it Saint Ronnie Raygun who famously said: "It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    Which is another way of saying they are educated far above their intelligence.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Nah, I think that's cool if its true. There are quite a few non-religious folks in Tea Party ranks who are really into science. Think we have a few on this board.
    There are also quite a few religious folks who are into science, and work in very high tech fields.

We've had posts here about relative knowledge of liberals vs. conservatives. I know conservatives always rank high on knowledge of civics and history, whereas liberals tend to have higher average IQ.

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you think." Dilbert

I work with very intelligent people. It always amazes me when I meet people or think about people that I know that are much more intelligent than I am, but are not as smart. This is proven by the authority and responsibility I am given vice what is given to my intelligent friends. They know and remember much more than I but they are unable to use that knowledge productively.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Did anyone notice the prejudice in the Professors article. He cannot believe what the data are telling him and would not be surprised if it changed later. He has also never talked to a Tea Partier nor read any articles or books by one. His total knowledge comes from 3 minute news stories, rumor and hearsay, but he knows he would not like them and that they are morally inferior to him. That is someone with lots of intelligence and no smarts.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I work with very intelligent people. It always amazes me when I meet people or think about people that I know that are much more intelligent than I am, but are not as smart. This is proven by the authority and responsibility I am given vice what is given to my intelligent friends. They know and remember much more than I but they are unable to use that knowledge productively.
    Be honest. If the military works like most every other federal bureaucracy, the biggest factor in being promoted is kissing the right ass.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Be honest. If the military works like most every other federal bureaucracy, the biggest factor in being promoted is kissing the right ass.
    I hope you are being funny as I know you have never served.

To answer your question, some people can be promoted that way (as they can in any organization or company), but there is a limit on how far you can get. The best way to be promoted is to do your job, do it well, and show that you can accept more responsibility (again, as it is in any organization or company). That being said, I am a Limited Duty Officer. This means that I was enlisted, in my case, for 15 years, and had been promoted to a senior enlisted rank. The Navy then looks to see who is displaying exceptional leadership and technical knowledge and we are offered a commission. It is not based on our finishing college but on our performance. The Navy hires us specifically because we do not kiss butt. The Navy relies on us to tell us when things are not working right and what should be done to fix it, whether our boss wants to hear it or not. There is a reason why we are referred to as Mustang Officers, and it is not because we are easily controlled.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I hope you are being funny as I know you have never served.

To answer your question, some people can be promoted that way (as they can in any organization or company), but there is a limit on how far you can get. The best way to be promoted is to do your job, do it well, and show that you can accept more responsibility (again, as it is in any organization or company). That being said, I am a Limited Duty Officer. This means that I was enlisted, in my case, for 15 years, and had been promoted to a senior enlisted rank. The Navy then looks to see who is displaying exceptional leadership and technical knowledge and we are offered a commission. It is not based on our finishing college but on our performance. The Navy hires us specifically because we do not kiss butt. The Navy relies on us to tell us when things are not working right and what should be done to fix it, whether our boss wants to hear it or not. There is a reason why we are referred to as Mustang Officers, and it is not because we are easily controlled.
    Damn, that is exactly opposite of the way public education works. I guess that's why I'm still a classroom teacher after 42 years.... (Actually, I never aspired to get out of the classroom....I'm having too much fun where I am. Where else can you go and get paid to piss kids off....and get a long summer vacation, too....)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast