Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge or Accidental discharge .

Exclamation Negligent discharge or Accidental discharge .

Post your Negligent Discharge or accidental here ....Maybe with a thread like this it will raise awareness and save someone from having a very bad day .

I classify this as accidental because my finger was still on the guard when it went off .

I have a very small .45acp Springfield V10 with a heavy weight spring and a light trigger... I was shooting one day released the slide and the V10 slammed forward with enough force to discharge it. My finger was clear resting on the trigger guard when I released the slide and in tiring to hang on to it the side of my finger hit the bang button...... bang dead flower bed .....anyway.... keep it in a safe direction ....shit happens

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

This is the closest to an accidental discharge.I have been witness to numerous negligent handling of firearms while at the range.

My uncle was shooting one of his three surplus Walther PP models.He was shooting next to me at the range when I thought he had double tapped.I looked over at him and asked he had double tapped and he said he only pulled the trigger once.We dismissed it since the fellow next to him was shooting a .32 as well.We figured both fired simultaneously with him.

He went back to shooting and once again a double tap.This time he stopped dropped the mag and found the mag was empty and the last round was in the chamber.He only put in 5 rounds to begin with.

He broke the pistol down and found that the safety block had sear in two parts.I don't know how this caused a double firing.For a brief time we had a burst fire Walther .32 ACP.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

The first time I went to bumpfire...I was trying to hook my finger on my belt loop and BOOM...about 2 feet in front of my foot.
    I'm really not a big fan of bumpfiring...
    FBHO

Should have been a fatal ND:

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words:

The round would have gone through my left eye and out the back of my head had the FP struck the primer properly. I'm not ashamed to say I puked my guts out and spent an hour afterwards shaking and dry heaving.

I keep this round on my bedside table in the recharging station where I keep my knife, my watch, and other every day items. It's a reminder to me that no matter how stupid I might think the other guy is, I'm not so perfect myself.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    The round would have gone through my left eye and out the back of my head had the FP struck the primer properly. I'm not ashamed to say I puked my guts out and spent an hour afterwards shaking and dry heaving.
    What happened?
    FBHO

Close call ND/AD AAR.

Once upon a time, in my Uncle's kingdom... The team had just gotten back from an FTX. Weapons cleared/cleaned, a buddy "bopped" the butt of his M16 on the floor to bring the bolt into battery (although discouraged, a common practice). He went to place the rifle on safe, and couldn't. We got curious. Repeated the procedure. Same thing. We reported the event to the armorer when stowing the rifle. The Armorer later reported that the hammer was slipping the sear when the bolt was brought into battery. If the rifle had been locked and loaded...

Lesson learned. Always point the weapon in a "safe" direction. And if you need to fuck around, use your gun and not your rifle.

Closest I cam was shooting a 1911 at the range.

I was adjusting the sights and was shooting 3 or 4 rounds at a time out of the magazine. I started dicking with the sights here and there and after a few groups I realized that I was adjusting the sights on a pistol with the slide in battery, hammer back and safety off. yup I lost count of how many rounds I fired and was holding a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Reminded me of the safety rules. and to take it slow at the range. No need to hurry. I broke a couple of the rules that day, if I broke others it could have ended up worse. What's a shame is I have been shooting for 20 years and I know better. Its embarassing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    What happened?
    Working on a Saiga conversion, didn't check to see if the chamber was cleared, had a faulty trigger. The previous day I had fired a couple of rounds through it to check for function. When I was tapping the front sight back on, the hammer tripped. Send the trigger back, haven't had any issues since. I've put about 1200rds through that rifle now.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Working on a Saiga conversion, didn't check to see if the chamber was cleared, had a faulty trigger. The previous day I had fired a couple of rounds through it to check for function. When I was tapping the front sight back on, the hammer tripped. Send the trigger back, haven't had any issues since. I've put about 1200rds through that rifle now.
    You wouldn't have felt a thing...
    FBHO

Shot my wall and furnace in my old house after I got my first Glock years ago. meh...shit happens.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Had a accidental discharge a few years ago. This has sparked alot of controversy and got be banned from HK pro but by Jesus im telling what happened.

I was practicing drawing with my new to me HK USP9. Drew pistol, hammer was NOT back, shirt got caught on hammer and I dropped the pistol, pistol landed on its side close to my foot and discharged. Hole in the floor about 6 inches up from my foot. I was shaking for hours.

Had some FTFs out of the thing beforehand. I took it to the gunsmith and he saw the firing pin was a bit worn and the cavity it was in was VERY dirty. Im thinking maybe the firing pin may have gotten hung up a bit away from the fully forward position, and the drop jarred it loose.

Also had a squib in my Norinco SKS that was about a quarter inch from allowing the next round to be fully seated. I thought it was just a jam and pulled the charging handle back and the next round ALMOST but not quite seated. Had the bullet gone any further, I prolly would have fired and..... Yeah.

About 13 years ago I was going to bed, locked the house down, checked everything to make sure nothing was left on, and went to my bedroom.
    Put a fresh mag in my AMT hardballer 1911 and dropped the slide, and for some reason in this process I stopped using my brain and had my finger on the trigger.
    Gun went off and thank goodness I was smart enough to always keep it pointing in a safe direction. Put a round into the ceiling, scared the hell out of the pretty girl I had staying over with me, and made my dog FREAK out..

Never since, never before, but I STILL look at that moment as a complete lack of judgement..Only takes a minute. THINK when your packing!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 GunWorm's Avatar

a year or two ago, I took my .45 AR out of the safe to get some pictures of it. I dropped the empty mag, pulled back the charging handle, and seeing no round come out, i let it slide back home. then I pulled the trigger......

fuck that was loud...and I got a nice .45ACP hole through my wall. luckily, there is noting around me.

ALWAYS CHECK THE CHAMBER!!!!
    i gots da boooolitz

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Post your Negligent Discharge or accidental here ....Maybe with a thread like this it will raise awareness and save someone from having a very bad day .

I classify this as accidental because my finger was still on the guard when it went off .
    No such thing as an "accidental" discharge. If the weapon fires when the user did not intend it to, it is due to the negligence of the user. ND... no such thing as AD.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    The first time I went to bumpfire...I was trying to hook my finger on my belt loop and BOOM...about 2 feet in front of my foot.
    I'm really not a big fan of bumpfiring...
    Quite a few years ago at an indoor range I had one of my AK rifles and a drum that I just bought. I loaded up the drum and fired a few rounds. The guy next to me wanted to take a look at the rifle, so I proceed to safe the weapon.

Mistake #1: I forgot to snap on the safety.

Then I went to remove the drum and the only way to get in there and press the release lever was to push against the trigger.

Mistake #2: Finger OFF the trigger.

BOOM! The rifle fired. Thank GOD it was pointed downrange!

I get the drum off and then pull the bolt open to CHECK the chamber (stupidly thinking "it fired, so now it's empty"). Of course, a live round fell out and onto the floor.

Now I'm all confused and thinking "I'm not in a frame of mind to shoot safely... I'm done for the day".

I check the rifle again for safe, then point it downrange and pull the trigger to be sure it's safe, then look at the chamber again, THEN I let the guy look at my rifle.

When he was done, I packed up and went home. My mind was obviously on something else and I wasn't shooting safely, so it was time to quit.

And yes I call what I did a NEGLIGENT discharge. The rifle fired and I didn't expect to.

Thank GOD it was pointed downrange...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I was going to clean my AR one Saturday, pulled the mag out and it was empty. I pulled the bolt back and just let it go forward, pointed the gun straight up and blew a nice little hole in the roof. My wife came in the living room with a what the hell are you doing look on her face. Scared me to death, but a lesson learned. No one but the roof was hurt.

Dec 2006. Round chambered, safety on, rifle sitting in the corner of the utility closet. I fell in the closet causing a ND, shot myself through the left arm causing nerve damage that I feel even now as I type. It took me four months to relearn how to touch my thumb to my pinky finger.
    Not a single day goes by that I am not reminded of that foolish night.

Ashamed hell yes, but I was also very blessed by God that it was not worse.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

whats 'ND'? I know 'AD', accidental discharge.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    whats 'ND'? I know 'AD', accidental discharge.......
    Whether the discharge is accidental or negligent usually refers to the actions of the shooter as opposed to those of another (say, an armorer). For instance, if a paratrooper does a PLF (parachute landing fall) and impacts a BFR (big fucking rock) and his M16 discharges because he has a round in the chamber it is a ND. And if the belt fed M60 starts cooking off rounds, that's an AD, usually accompanied with, "break the fucking belt" being screamed in your ear. Arguably, nearly all civilian "ADs" are actually NDs.

+1 - an AD can only occur from a mechanical failure of the firearm, which is unrelated to the operator's handling and maintenance of the firearm and ammunition. All other unintentional discharges are NDs.

The only discharge I've had which I consider an AD was a piece of debris which lodged between the nose of the trigger and the hammer on my M16 during an MG shoot. I completed a mag change and pressed the BHO, and got a mag dump.

Since I was not negligently disregarding any of the rules of safe firearm handling, all 30 went downrange into the berm, without doing any damage or scaring anyone but me (it was an MG shoot, after all).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast