Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping ship and changing SHTF caliber. 5.56 to 308 and why. Rant

Jumping ship and changing SHTF caliber. 5.56 to 308 and why. Rant

So Im bored and haven't seen a shtf caliber thread in a while. Im really not trying to start the whats better BS Im just going with what I have available to my house hold. Ive always really liked 5.56, and have since buying guns have had a few thousand rounds put away. Its cheaper, lighter, I like how its becoming available again locally. I only got into 308 about 4 years ago and for that first year we shot a lot of it. But for about 3 years I held on to 200 rounds, and couldnt find any for under 40.00 a box around here. But I found a shop that is getting 308 for $23 a box. Steadily so far. Ive been the only person since he opened to buy any 308. People here either dont know what 7.62x51 is, or dont have any chambered in it. Thank you DPMS for giving me an advantage, and thank you masses for not taking the time to read its almost thw same caliber. So Im buying it all. But the real reasons why aside from availability of ammo is that my fiance has been on board and every time we go to the range she see's it as serious training time. She's gotten kickass with the M&P15t and the Dpms, but likes the Smithy more because of less recoil. She's been bringing up weired shtf scenarios and making me think, and buy ammo. Im happy to unwillingly surrender the rifle for her shtf needs. So who is using what for shtf these days? 556 and .40 both smithy's for her. And 308 and 9mm for me. Godbless

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Personally my favorite has always been 30-06 as the preferred reach out and touch someone round. .308 had proven to be a viable alternative, so to go with my long range Remington is my intermediate to long range STG-58. I believe in trying to keep things from getting up close and personal in an SHTF situation.

At closer ranges, not many will agree with my bag of tricks, but I am sure overwhelming firepower will deter all but the most rambo.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

In the last few days I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my 1911 (again) and going with just 9mm. Last time I thought of this it was more of my giving up on the 1911 because I was not able to shoot accurately with it. Grump and Shuetz encouraged me to keep trying and gave me some pointers and now I am able to shoot it acceptably well. The deal now is that I have limited storage space for ammo and it would make storage easier. Another point is my wife and daughter will not even consider shooting a .45, but the 9mm is not out of the question. In fact my daughter has shot my Glock 19. She likes the CZ-82 better but she could control the Glock, but it did jump a lot in her hand. The last reason is that 9mm seems to be much more accessible and it is much cheaper than .45 ACP.

As for a rifle cartridge, I will stick with 5.56 or .223. Again, not expensive and easy to acquire. My back up is 30-06 for my Garand. It is more expensive but seem fairly available and the Garand is like a bat. It is usable for protection even when all the ammo is gone!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Personally my favorite has always been 30-06 as the preferred reach out and touch someone round. .308 had proven to be a viable alternative, so to go with my long range Remington is my intermediate to long range STG-58. I believe in trying to keep things from getting up close and personal in an SHTF situation.

At closer ranges, not many will agree with my bag of tricks, but I am sure overwhelming firepower will deter all but the most rambo.
    20rds of 30.06 AP is like the finger of God.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

OMG! That BAR is wicked. Original or reproduction? Semi or auto? My best friend has a winchester garand and colt 1911a1 that needs to find a buddy like that sometime soon . Very nice indeed.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

If I stay at home it 7.62x39 AK and .45 ACP, if I have to walk out of here its a 5.56 M4 and 9mm.

I'm not a marine, nor am I in great shape, so .308 for SHTF is off limits for me. Too heavy.

For honesty's sake, I'll add that cost has been a bog factor in staying out of .308. &.62x54 has fulfilled my full size rifle cartridge needs so far. I do want a M1 Garand very badly, and also an M1a or two for modern battle rifles.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 11-03-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I ended up selling the HK USP .45 tac to pay rent at the time, but I got a battle ready katana to replace it. Weird replacement, but love the sword. .45 was and still is too expensive and ammo price played a part in selling it too. I ended up giving 200 rds to my best friend along with primers, shells, some bullets, and reloading carbide dies kit yesterday, for a ghille suit. I find .40 to be a happy place between for ammo cost and availability and power. When its tax time and if we get them at all d like to get a 308 suppressor and hopefully be done for a while and make this caliber transition a bit sweeter. Lol, any excuse to buy one I will like Obummer does with our money. The wait time is almost a deterrent. I only want one more I swear.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    OMG! That BAR is wicked. Original or reproduction? Semi or auto? My best friend has a winchester garand and colt 1911a1 that needs to find a buddy like that sometime soon . Very nice indeed.
    Semiauto. All G. I. parts on a new receiver.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Fir...1918A3_SLR.rif
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Oh ok, thanks for the link. I thought those were extinct. Or at least endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    In the last few days I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my 1911 (again) and going with just 9mm. Last time I thought of this it was more of my giving up on the 1911 because I was not able to shoot accurately with it. Grump and Shuetz encouraged me to keep trying and gave me some pointers and now I am able to shoot it acceptably well. The deal now is that I have limited storage space for ammo and it would make storage easier. Another point is my wife and daughter will not even consider shooting a .45, but the 9mm is not out of the question. In fact my daughter has shot my Glock 19. She likes the CZ-82 better but she could control the Glock, but it did jump a lot in her hand. The last reason is that 9mm seems to be much more accessible and it is much cheaper than .45 ACP.

As for a rifle cartridge, I will stick with 5.56 or .223. Again, not expensive and easy to acquire. My back up is 30-06 for my Garand. It is more expensive but seem fairly available and the Garand is like a bat. It is usable for protection even when all the ammo is gone!
    There is no rule saying you can't have a .45 and a 9mm. An if you think .45 is too expensive.....reload, it operates at a very low pressure so brass lasts forever and I always end up coming home with more brass than I left with, It only takes around 5 gr of powder so 1lb will load 1400 rounds, and if you shoot lead projectiles are dirt cheap.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Similar thoughts to what has been posted already; 5.56 lighter, can carry more rounds, less cost for finished ammo and components to reload with. However, it is not as powerful as we all know. Barriers that will stop a 5.56 round cold are many. It has low mass in the bullets and therefore has limited ability to punch through objects between you and the bad guys. .308 and .30-06 on the other hand will turn protective cover that will stop 5.56 bullets cold into Swiss Cheese even with mere lead cored ammo. Toss in some AP and you can really reach out and touch someone. 5.56 will put a hole in a radiator, .30 cal. AP rounds will put a hole in the engine block kind of difference.

On distance the 5.56 even with heavier 69 and 77 gr. bullets is about maxed out at 600 yards, .308 and the 06 rounds have an easy 400 yards more to them if you have the skills to deliver the bullets at 1,000 yards.

The same principals hold true for handgun ammo, bigger bullets = more power and a bigger hole to let the vital body fluids out through. 9 mm is adequate with +P HP rounds and you do get to carry roughly 2 rounds for each round of .45 ACP. If you have a lady friend that is into the SHTF prepping thing then I would advise you both carry the same make and caliber of sidearm. Why, interchangeability of magazines and ammo. One of you runs low, the other can toss them a magazine to get them back in the fight instantly. One of you has .40 S &W and the other 9 you're screwed, now you're down to one defender.

Remember the motto; 1 is none and 2 is one. You need redundancy in all things, it isn't enough to have spare bolts, firing pins, springs etc. How you going to put those bits n pieces in your weapon in the middle of a fire fight? You aren't is the answer. So what I'm saying is you need two AR carbines in 5.56 and 2 in 7.62 NATO along with 2 side arms in the same caliber and make of weapon so that all have magazine and caliber interchangeablity.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

Remember the motto; 1 is none and 2 is one. You need redundancy in all things, it isn't enough to have spare bolts, firing pins, springs etc. How you going to put those bits n pieces in your weapon in the middle of a fire fight? You aren't is the answer. So what I'm saying is you need two AR carbines in 5.56 and 2 in 7.62 NATO along with 2 side arms in the same caliber and make of weapon so that all have magazine and caliber interchangeablity.
    i was lost in youtube again the other day. an increasingly time consuming hobby with the weather turning, and i was watching a video on remington vs mossberg shottys. there was some bullshit mentioned about the ability to change the ejector (or lack thereof) in the remington, followed by pages of comments, like "well, fuck, if i cant change the ejector in the field, the gun is useless". yeah, because everyone carries one of every internal part for their weapon, and a pack full of armorers tools, so they can change out every internal part in the middle of a fire fight.

I also had another g19 and g26, a Remington 700 sps tactical and a hk usp .45 tac that Ive since sold all to repair the car or pay bills. But I do have a lower receiver that Id like to finish into a M16a4 clone. And get another gen 4 G19 and threaded barrel.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I like having multiple SHTF options.

Being a gun nut, it just makes sense to me and makes prepping more enjoyable.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Remember the motto; 1 is none and 2 is one. You need redundancy in all things, it isn't enough to have spare bolts, firing pins, springs etc. How you going to put those bits n pieces in your weapon in the middle of a fire fight? You aren't is the answer. So what I'm saying is you need two AR carbines in 5.56 and 2 in 7.62 NATO along with 2 side arms in the same caliber and make of weapon so that all have magazine and caliber interchangeability.

Totally agree with that statement! Has been always my thought also.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Mine is 3006 simply because I have more rifles in that caliber. And, lots of 3006 AP to go with them......chris3

Sounds about right. I went with an L1A1 for similar reasons ( didn't have much faith in ARs then) Good , bad or indifferent she's my go to and my pride & joy.

.308 works fine I am more concerned about the availability of ammo after the SHTF than before which is why I will be running out the door holding onto my AK47 pistol chambered in 7.62 x.39
    "If you can't be with the one you love ....love the one your with"

me too I have 4 guns I will be relying on ... an AK47, a Saiga 12 tactical shotgun, a .Sig Sauer sp2022 and a Remington m24 rebuild
    "If you can't be with the one you love ....love the one your with"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Really, when you think about it, for most folks, simply having any SHTF caliber is good. As stated, redundancy is better.

I don't think it really matters much which caliber(s) you choose - the important thing is to have it, be trained on its use and that it's just a part of your overall preps...

Sure, you can say .22LR isn't good enough and I agree, but it's better than nothing at all - by a long shot. Matter of degree I guess.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast