Thread: Computers driving me to drink...

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Computers driving me to drink...

more than I usually do. I received a new wireless modem. It is an upgrade in speed over the old one. The laptop hooks up with the modem ok. My desktop will not connect with the modem. The laptop will not download a PDF file so I can read it nor can I download Adobe. The desktop worked just fine with the old modem. The wife's laptop works just fine but it is a 13 inch model which is tough on my old eyes and will not connect to my printer. Any help guys???????????? thanks....chris3

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Computers driving me to drink...

Your best bet is to call the internet provider who issued you the modem. They got quick lists of steps to roll through depending on what hardware you have and what the problem is.

And if they cant fix it with you on the phone someone will come do it the next day.

At least that is how my internet provider works.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Coppertales - on the laptop, try Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat. It's a smaller program and doesn't hog system resources the way Adobe does.

As for the 13" not talking to the printer, are they trying to connect wirelessly or hard-wired? What OS is on that laptop? If you still have the driver disc for that printer, have you tried loading that on that laptop?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Coppertales - on the laptop, try Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat. It's a smaller program and doesn't hog system resources the way Adobe does.

As for the 13" not talking to the printer, are they trying to connect wirelessly or hard-wired? What OS is on that laptop? If you still have the driver disc for that printer, have you tried loading that on that laptop?
    Thanks. I will give Foxit reader a try. All three computers have Windows 7. The 13 inch laptop does not have a disk drive. I will look into it further. It is SWMBO's computer and I never use it....chris3

Copper...was the modem provided by your telecom provider, or is it one you bought off the webz or at bestbuy or some other brick and mortar? Telecom companies frequently have some proprietary firmware for their devices. You can buy the exact same device elsewhere, but without flashing it with their firmware it may not work correctly with their service.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Do you have a router plugged into the modem or is it a modem/router?

Issues like not opening a file type shouldn't have any thing to do with the modem or router. You could try uninstalling Adobe and reinstalling it. If you are opening from a website some times the site sucks so you could try downloading it to your laptop and then opening it.

Got it all fixed. Wife found the cheat sheet the installer gave her last year. Thanks for all your help.....chris3

If so, stay away from the cheap grain stuff at 180 proof. You will get killer headaches.