Thread: P71 Crown Vic interceptors, what's your opinion

P71 Crown Vic interceptors, what's your opinion

If you could get one, would you?

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Are these he ones where the doors jam shut in a rear end collision, i read news articles of an AZ highway patrolman that died when his car burst into flames after a rear collision and no one could open doors.

More power and room than a Taurus.

very true to that.

If you drive in snow...forget it.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Hint hint no snow in coastal TX.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

A hell of a lot of em get recycled as taxi's....dependeds on who drove it, a lot of good miles left!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    If you drive in snow...forget it.
    Even rain.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

if getting a car that you know, beyond a doubt, that for ever single mile on that car it was being beat hard by ppl who could care less what happened to it, then once it reached the point where it was no longer economical to service due to all the problems they induced gets sold, sounds like a good idea to you, then yeah, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    if getting a car that you know, beyond a doubt, that for ever single mile on that car it was being beat hard by ppl who could care less what happened to it, then once it reached the point where it was no longer economical to service due to all the problems they induced gets sold, sounds like a good idea to you, then yeah, go for it.
    There's your answer.

Crown Vic is a POS. A P71 is going to be beat to shit as has been mentioned. They don't handle worth a damn and are gutless by modern standards.

On the plus side, they are big. Don't expect more than 15 mpg, but roomy and fairly comfortable. The police interceptors handle very well with good tires. The last of the full sized rear wheel drive V-8 sedans.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

to comment on the car itself, afa the handeling, imo, they handled very well. extremely predictable. absolutely no complaints there. imo, better than the new chargers. acceleration, no where near the new chargers. real world mpg, we were getting around 12. to buy one new, theyre not a bad car. teh one problem i had with them is that the seats seem awfully wide without much side support. the car will really bite down into the turns, but i was left sliding in hte seat, making it feel a lot looser than it was. i was told by the officers that having the loaded belt on takes care of that issue. the new chargers, the seat fits and holds you in better, so you can feel the car through the turns more, but they are stiff and unpredictable. you can be settled into a hard turn and all of a sudden lose grip with no warning.

thats what you can expect if you get one and can afford all the needed repairs on a lifed out vehicle. there cars did have good points, but like i said, id never buy a used police car. ever.

keep in mind, all that handeling i mentioned is on fast wearing expensive pursuit rated tires that we got for pennies oin the dollar. probably not something practical for a grocery getter. but then again, you shouldnt really be flogging a grocery getter to worry about high speed handeling anyway.

I figure it's the last chance to get a good old fashion muscle type car. Call it the search for Uncas, the last of the mohicans.

crown vic aint a muscle car.

get a mustang.

I'm going to miss the Crown Vic as a police vehicle. It didn't stand out in much of anything, but it did everything reasonably well. Not a bad car to spend 12 hour shifts in. The downside to the used market is that they've been driven like they were stolen. You'd really need to find one that was a CID car. Traffic Division surplus? Sheeeeit.

also, I don't know how it is out where you are but out here the second hand police interceptors are very popular with the ghetto folk

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

You want the last of the good ol' muscle cars? Get an IROC-Z Camaro w/ 350 and 5 speed manual transmission. Or hell, even a fox body Mustang w/ 5.0 wouldn't be bad at all... Crown Vics really aren't very bad ass. And old cop cars are shit. That's why PD's sell them. They were run hard, and are worn out. Besides, you'd probably be better off turbocharging your grandmothers Lincoln. The interceptor really is that unimpressive.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    also, I don't know how it is out where you are but out here the second hand police interceptors are very popular with the ghetto folk
    It's their only opportunity to ride in the front seat of one.