Thread: Few Issues

Few Issues

Hey Everyone,

I have a Romanian SAR1. It appears to me that the bolt is getting caught on the hammer and causing it to stick (not often) but enough to be annoying. I've taken a picture for reference.

Also, can you replace just the hammer, or do you have to replace the entire FCG?

Thanks,

Blake
    Attached Images Attached Images

does it still have the century FCG in it??

I had to replace the hammer in a Sar-1 i had before due to this issue.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Replace the whole FCG with a Tapco G2 unit.

Even if you don't need it, its a cheap way to better your rifle. Tapco triggers are surprisingly sweet for what they are.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    While replacing the Century fire control group is a good idea, if you are having issues when you hand cycle the action, and are riding the carrier assembly home, but it doesn't affect how the rifle works under fire, you really don't have a problem. The AK was designed so that when you load the first round from the magazine, you pull the bolt back as far as you can, then let it slam home.

I have known many people who think that having the carrier stick on the hammer is a bolt hold open, and although on some rifles it will, all you need is a slight bump and the bolt will slam closed.

On the other hand, if it does stick during actual firing, then by all means replace the fire control group.

I'm not sure on the exact trigger installed. I bought it used from a local gun store. However, I do not experience any trigger slap to lead me to think it's the original.

Also, is there anything to check when replacing the FCG? Spacing checks, etc?

If it is a Century trigger group, installed so that the importer could meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, the parts might have a "C" stamped or molded into them. Some Century trigger group parts were not marked. Tapco parts usually are well marked.

As for trigger slap, not all Century trigger groups had the slap issue, which is caused by the geometry of the disconnector and trigger and can happen on any AK variant. The disconnector is slammed back into the trigger cross piece during recoil. It is an easy fix by taking a few thousandths off the bottom of the disconnector where it hits the trigger cross piece (the part of the trigger between the arms that the hammer spring lay on. Also trigger slap can develop over time as parts wear.

As for changing trigger parts, the only thing to watch for is how the shepherds hook retains the trigger and hammer axis pins. There is a little boss on the end of the pins very near the side of the receiver that the shepherds hook (wire like thing that lays along the left side of the receiver) lies in. The SARs were among the easiest to remove and install the hook as long as you make sure you replace it into the position it was in originally.

Also, the disconnector spring, which is well hidden under the disconnector can get launched very easily if you are not careful when you remover the trigger and disconnector.

Another thing to watch is that you get a single hook trigger which is what the SAR-1 usually uses. Double hook triggers can be used but either the trigger or receiver would need to be modified before use.

Other than that, the AKM is such a simple device that there are no measurements or settings you have to make when replacing trigger groups or individual parts. Of course the exception would be a Redstar trigger group which is owner adjustable, but it too is a drop in with you adjusting it to your personal preference for feel.

Now that I have that written, I do want to let you know that my SAR-1 is one of my favorite AKMs (stamped receiver Kalashnikov). Mine has somewhere around 14,000 rounds through it, with the original Century FCG modified by me to remove trigger slap. If you were to look at it you would never guess it has fired that many rounds.

And a little history about your new to you SAR-1

Many people complained about how the SAR series rifles looked when they were imported between 1999 and 2004, but few realized that the SAR-1 was the only true military issue AK variant brought into the land of shall not be infringed. All others were commercial rifles, some specifically made for the USA. The Romanian enlisted persons used the semi-auto only for training before graduating to the select fire version. ATF banned them in 2004 when they decided that importing a "non-sporting" rifle and then modifying it to comply with that fabled 922(r) or now also known as Title 27 CFR 478.39 was not legal. I guess they didn't like us getting evil looking rifles that were that good. The WASR-10 series was allowed because it is imported in "sporting" configuration as it has a single stack mag well and cannot use standard AK magazines as delivered. They are modified from single stack to standard mag well, and then the parts count is changed per 922(r) and the other one to continue to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment.

Pretty sad isn't it?!?!

And one other thing. You can modify the hammer slightly by reprofiling it so that the carrier doesn't hit so hard, but you have to remember that there has to be an interference between the bottom of the carrier and the hammer, otherwise it would not push the hammer far enough down for the disconnector to capture it to prevent the hammer from resetting.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    If it is a Century trigger group, installed so that the importer could meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, the parts might have a "C" stamped or molded into them. Some Century trigger group parts were not marked. Tapco parts usually are well marked.

As for trigger slap, not all Century trigger groups had the slap issue, which is caused by the geometry of the disconnector and trigger and can happen on any AK variant. The disconnector is slammed back into the trigger cross piece during recoil. It is an easy fix by taking a few thousandths off the bottom of the disconnector where it hits the trigger cross piece (the part of the trigger between the arms that the hammer spring lay on. Also trigger slap can develop over time as parts wear.

As for changing trigger parts, the only thing to watch for is how the shepherds hook retains the trigger and hammer axis pins. There is a little boss on the end of the pins very near the side of the receiver that the shepherds hook (wire like thing that lays along the left side of the receiver) lies in. The SARs were among the easiest to remove and install the hook as long as you make sure you replace it into the position it was in originally.

Also, the disconnector spring, which is well hidden under the disconnector can get launched very easily if you are not careful when you remover the trigger and disconnector.

Another thing to watch is that you get a single hook trigger which is what the SAR-1 usually uses. Double hook triggers can be used but either the trigger or receiver would need to be modified before use.

Other than that, the AKM is such a simple device that there are no measurements or settings you have to make when replacing trigger groups or individual parts. Of course the exception would be a Redstar trigger group which is owner adjustable, but it too is a drop in with you adjusting it to your personal preference for feel.
    Thank you for such detailed responses and information, especially being new to the AK line. I have one last concern that I just noticed after cleaning my rifle. I noticed a "cut out" in the barrel (closest to the receiver). Here is a few pictures.

Also the white ring on the left-hand showed up randomly as well.

I just want to make sure what I'm shooting is safe, and all of the other barrels I see online do not have this. Sorry for the noob question!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That cut at the 6 O'clock position of the barrel is done because the SAR-1 does not have a bullet guide built into the front trunion, so the barrel was notched slightly to make it easier for the round to be chambered. I have chamfered the barrel on many AK variants that didn't have bullet guides to make chambering rounds much smoother. Usually the issue was hollow point ammo not feeding properly as the rifle was designed for full metal jacket. As I remember them, the SAR-1 did not come with that cut at the 6 O'clock position, but is a recommended modification.

Since you are new to AKs, remember that the AK was designed with what I call slop-fit tolerances which is what gives it it's amazing reliability. If you notice that the gas piston is slightly loose on the carrier, that is normal. The correct way to install the gas piston is to turn it into the carrier until snug, then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin it in place. Unfortunately when Century imported them, one of the parts they replaced with a US made part to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, they cut corners and welded the piston to the carrier. If installed straight it was no problem, but if they welded it crooked it could cause cycling issues.

And don't feel bad about asking questions. We were all new to this at one time.

Perfect! Yeah, I noticed the piston always came a little loose and was my first concern that I researched and learned was normal. I'm actually in the process of re-finishing the wood on it. Any good articles or tutorials you recommend for a good color for the SAR 1?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    That cut at the 6 O'clock position of the barrel is done because the SAR-1 does not have a bullet guide built into the front trunion, so the barrel was notched slightly to make it easier for the round to be chambered. I have chamfered the barrel on many AK variants that didn't have bullet guides to make chambering rounds much smoother. Usually the issue was hollow point ammo not feeding properly as the rifle was designed for full metal jacket. As I remember them, the SAR-1 did not come with that cut at the 6 O'clock position, but is a recommended modification.

Since you are new to AKs, remember that the AK was designed with what I call slop-fit tolerances which is what gives it it's amazing reliability. If you notice that the gas piston is slightly loose on the carrier, that is normal. The correct way to install the gas piston is to turn it into the carrier until snug, then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin it in place. Unfortunately when Century imported them, one of the parts they replaced with a US made part to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, they cut corners and welded the piston to the carrier. If installed straight it was no problem, but if they welded it crooked it could cause cycling issues.

And don't feel bad about asking questions. We were all new to this at one time.

I believe Ironwood Designs has a something about wood finishing, but not refinishing. I personally have liked the Russian red look, but the Romanians had a yellowish gold that looks good as well.

Also check here for some refinishing ideas, as well as some info on Romanian variants.
    http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/furn_refinish.shtml