Thread: Bullet for .38 Subbie

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Bullet for .38 Subbie

I talked about an older load I used for a Charter Arms 1¾" barrel revolver. Midway has a bullet similar to what I used.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/419...int-box-of-300

The load used bullseye. It has been a long time and I'm not sure on powder weight. 3.2 is a recommended, not max on a LSWC, but IIRC the old guy that cast the bullets recommended 2.2 and said more did not crono faster out of the short barrels of the snubbies.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I would suggest contacting Alliant at alliant.reloading@atk.com and find out what they recommend for your specific application. Just my $0.02.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My personal preference for 38 Special snubbies is a hard cast 158 grain keith bullet. The Hornady's are fine though - they'll penetrate well too. 3 Grains of W231 works good.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 11-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

In a S & W Airweight snubby I use 3.5 gr. Alliant Bullseye an my home cast NOE 155 gr. HP cast from 50/50 and it works very well when fired into wet pack media at 7 yds. Basically if you want to duplicate the FBI load just use any +P date with the 158 gr. LSWCHP,

Bullet on the Left is set up for my 357 Mag. and cast slightly harder to accommodate for higher velocity and gas checked. Bullet on the right is used with the above load from the same mold,cast with 50/50 alloy tumbled lubed twice once before and once after sizing and the gas check left off.
    Last edited by res45; 11-20-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

That is similar to the results I was getting. <scratches head> Maybe it was 3.2 grains I was using...

I was impressed with the expansion out of a snubbie barrel. The mold the old man was using had a taller SWC and a deeper hollow point and the SWC was straighter walled...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    That is similar to the results I was getting. <scratches head> Maybe it was 3.2 grains I was using...

I was impressed with the expansion out of a snubbie barrel. The mold the old man was using had a taller SWC and a deeper hollow point and the SWC was straighter walled...
    Hey, what do you think of these?

They're 158 grain with a very deep hollow point (custom design). The hollow point can be a traditional round or a rather "cute" penta shape with either gas checks or plain base. Notice the two crimp grooves? This if for the short cylindered 357 some dumbass designed that people have trouble loading for.

I've had them for sale but I'd be happy to send you out some gratos, for your perusal. I'll have to check what I've got ready and should be able to ship them out to you this week, PM me your vitals if you'd like to try them.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization