Thread: So I got a furniture set for my WASR 10.....

So I got a furniture set for my WASR 10.....

I ordered this set of furniture for my WASR-10.

What's the deal with the extra grip on the lower fore end?

Most of the pics I see, (and I haven't looked at a lot...) the AK's don't have this.

My AK came with a Tapco folding stock, and I wanted to go back to wood stock.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Romanians use that version of the lower front handguard. I believe it is the MD-63 version.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Thats a great looking stock set, and very appropriate for a WASR, which is Romanian after all.

If you don't like the front grip, try to find a standard Romanian front grip with the palm swell.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Thanks for the replies. My WASR has the standard front grip on it now. Now I want to refinish it to match this set. The seller told me what he used to refinish this set, so I'm halfway there...

Scott

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I don't care for that foregrip myself, but otherwise a very nice looking furniture set. Keep in mind if you install that bakelite pistol grip in place of the black Tapco pistol grip it probably came with you'll need to use U.S. made magazines only or at least install U.S. made followers in any and all foreign made magazines in order to stay 922r compliant.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Thank you, AP.

Scott

Any time. I'm surprised imanaknut didn't jump on that one. Probably the first thing I heard out of his mouth when I installed a foreign PG on mine. That said, do as you will with it, it's your rifle, and you will not likely come under scrutiny either way. But it's always safer to stay within the law just in case. People have been paid surprise visits at gun ranges before by local ATF agents due to ignorant shooters suspecting an unregisterd full auto weapon was in the vicinity.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Any time. I'm surprised imanaknut didn't jump on that one. Probably the first thing I heard out of his mouth when I installed a foreign PG on mine. That said, do as you will with it, it's your rifle, and you will not likely come under scrutiny either way. But it's always safer to stay within the law just in case. People have been paid surprise visits at gun ranges before by local ATF agents due to ignorant shooters suspecting an unregisterd full auto weapon was in the vicinity.
    I can vouch for having ATF at a range! Long time ago my daughter and I were at a DNR range. She was shooting an SAR-3, me an SAR-2. We decided to do a drill where we alternated firing, trying to go through a full mag as fast as we could, while keeping on target as that was how we graded each other. Between the two of us we must have sounded like a full auto to someone that was stupid with bad ears. Personally I would never call ATF as we have a second amendment, however infringed.

Anyway a bit later I look over at two guys wearing dark clothing eyeing us. I waved them over, and with the SAR-2 handguard resting on my open hand, and the rifle away from my shoulder (pointed down range of course) pulled and held the trigger back. I then asked if they would like to try it, explaining the total lack of recoil of the AK-74 like rifle. One guy came over, shouldered the rifle and pulled the trigger, then with a big smile on his face turned to his partner and said "You gotta try this!" They explained why they were there, and I explained that some people have no idea what they are doing at a range. Both smiled, thanked us for letting them try the SAR-2 and left.

Pretty sick that someone who supposedly values their rights would violate the rights of others, and give in to a violation of the constitution of The United States of America.

As for 922(r) also repeated in US Code Title 27 Part 478.39 since one writing of stupidity isn't enough, yes the law states that you cannot make a long gun that isn't importable under the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment unless you use no more than 10 imported parts. I in no way advocate the willful violation of any law no matter how stupid.

There AP, happy?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yep, md. 63 "pistol mitraliera" model of 1963 - chambered in 7.26x39. This would be the closest model to replicate with your WASR.

Also used on the md. 86 "pusca automata" referred to as AIMS-74 when exported - it's chambered in 5.45x39:

If I'm sounding all smart it's because I found this great reference site: http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/ak...cessories.html
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Yes imanaknut, I have a cold beer in hand so I'm very happy.

Sadly, you aren't the first person I've heard of this happening to. My buddy up in Ohio was bump firing his AK74 (or whatever his particular semi auto built from Bulgarian mil surplus parts variant is called) from the shoulder and had ATF up his ass. At an outdoor range while the only other shooter present was busy packing his things to leave. Agents figured out what he was doing pretty quick though, gave him a verbal warning about his parts count, and left him alone.

I finally got my book "Kalashnikov Rifles and their variations" by Poyer in the mail. Showed the Romanian versions with the extra fore grip.

Anyway, thanks, Guys for the info. I gotta do some light trimming on the buttstock to get it to fit inside the receiver. Looks like a winter project. I'll do some pics when its done.

Scott

Just to let you know, I am not surprised by your saying you will have to do some fitting to get the stock to work. I have had several Romanian wood parts that don't seem to be able to be transferred easily between rifles. Seems the Romanian quality control on how the receivers were bent and riveted is as loose as some of the parts in the AK.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Just to let you know, I am not surprised by your saying you will have to do some fitting to get the stock to work. I have had several Romanian wood parts that don't seem to be able to be transferred easily between rifles. Seems the Romanian quality control on how the receivers were bent and riveted is as loose as some of the parts in the AK.
    LOL.

Sure as shit seems true with the WASR series!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    I ordered this set of furniture for my WASR-10.

What's the deal with the extra grip on the lower fore end?

Most of the pics I see, (and I haven't looked at a lot...) the AK's don't have this.

My AK came with a Tapco folding stock, and I wanted to go back to wood stock.

Scott
    That is a really nice-looking furniture set you found for your Romy. I believe the slang-called "dog dick" foregrip the Romanians came up with is unique among the AK family.

I have a 2001 SAR-1 Romanian with solid birch wood stock & straight grip, as opposed to the laminate wood in your pic. Stain is pretty much identical, though. Congrats.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 12-09-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: typo