Thread: Reunion with an old friend

Reunion with an old friend

Earlier this week an old friend made it's way back into my hands, my Winchester 9422. This was my first gun given to me by my father at about 5 or 6 years old. I wasn't allowed to handle it but he made it well known that when I was old enough to learn how to shoot that it would be my gun. A couple of years later he started to teach me how to handle it safely and to shoot proficiently with it as well as how to clean and oil it. I wasn't allowed to handle it without him being present until I got a bit older and can't begin to count the number of evil beer cans and bottles that fell prey to it at our range sessions which took place at the local landfill.

Through the years we hunted rabbits, gophers, prairie dogs, among other things, and the 9422 was a constant companion. When I was in my twenties I got the proverbial wild hair in my posterior and had the idea of selling it to fund another firearms purchase and when I mentioned it to my dad he got this strange look on his face and said "If you think you really need to sell it, i'll buy it from you." which he did. Sadly enough, I can't even remember what gun I bought with the money.

Dad passed away a year ago tomorrow. Earlier this week we (My girlfriend, her kids and I) were at my mom's for dinner and mom brought the rifle out and said "He wanted you to have this back." I have to admit that my eyes got a bit watery when the gun was in my hands remembering all the times shooting with my dad, and I can guarantee that this one will never leave my possession again!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, but it has to be a great feeling to know that he loved you so much, and was smart enough to keep that rifle for you. Thanks for posting this very nice thanksgiving story.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing and for the picture. It looks like a great rifle. And you never forget your first rifle.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Great story / post. I'm happy to read of the return of your first firearm and the special relationship it has to you and your now passed Father. For me it was a Winchester 1200 pump 12 ga. shot gun. I still have it, very happy to have you have yours back now.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what he paid for it initially and how much he gave you for it when he bought it back? They're pretty pricey these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder what he paid for it initially and how much he gave you for it when he bought it back? They're pretty pricey these days.
    No idea what he gave for it originally, knowing my dad it very well could have been a "horse trade" deal. I think when he bought it back from me it was for $200-$250 or so.

Thank you all for the kind words.