Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norinco 84 - need info/value.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have to agree, you are not buying a new in box rifle, you are buying a really nice shooter that you can enjoy at the range or anywhere else you can shoot. To me the wood looks pretty good for a 25 year old rifle.

I was trying to decide between this Norinco, or a new Yugo O-PAP. Wish I could have both, but funds are low because of other recent toy purchases...and kids...and Christmas...and....

I've decided to buy the Norinco. We are meeting on Tuesday the 10th.

So, it's time to start building a respectable magazine stockpile. I have boxes full of AR/HK mags, and would love to have a box or three full of Norinco mags. Between the current cost, and the availability, I'm guessing it will take some time to fill a box. I keep reading that certain mags will function filled with only 20rds, and others will function with a little dremel work. Is this correct, or are Norinco mags the only option available? Any chance that someone here is looking to part with any decent Norinco mags in the near future?

My "How do I clean this thing" thread should be posted Tuesday night.

Thanks again to all for the helpful posts!

EDIT: I've been watching a few 84S auctions on GB. Seeing that this one just got a bid for $1299 makes me think $700 is money well spent.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=379628010
    Last edited by MJH; 12-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.

My AK cherry has been popped! The pictures sent by the seller made it look worse than it is...no rust can be found. Overall, I am very happy with the condition. Thanks again for all the advice!

All of the Norinco mags that I have seen pictured say MADE IN CHINA on the bottom. Should I assume that this is just a typical variation of Norinco markings, or lack thereof?

Oh, and is it normal for the lower portion of the handguard to have a little movement, or should it be solid? There is a very slight amount of movement, just curious.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Absolutely beautiful!!! As I have said before, the 84S series is my number one favorite AK variant.

I have several AK variants from different countries that the lower handguard wobbled a bit. I used a piece of cardboard or a folded piece of paper depending on how bad it wobbled to tighten it up. Stuffing a paper or cardboard under the rear tang on the lower guard usually will tighten it up. There are a lot of parts on the AK that are slop fit. All the more reliable.

As for the base plate, as you see not all were stamped "Made in China".

Looking at the recoil pad, I have one just like that and it is held on using the standard screws and you should find the original plate underneath.

You got a real steal there getting all that for $700!!!

Enjoy

Added, I have also cut some paper or cardboard in the "U" shape of the lower guard front locking device as a way to tighten things up.

Ok, I figured it was OK but wanted to make sure there in fact was no issue. I am fine with the very slight "wiggle" as it's very minimal. I keep looking at it, and grinning. Something tells me it won't be the only AK in the safe for too long. The wood is a really nice change from the all black rifles. I thought the few dings in the wood would bother me, and was all set to pay $190 for new wood...but it seems to give it character.

You should see the lower handguard of the 84S-1 or 56S-1 underfolders. That folder lock up isn't adjustable, so most handguards wind up getting pretty nicely dented on the bottom by the folder, and if not folded straight forward, the folder will contact the side of the handguard with resulting damage. Yep, just a little character!

Also sounds like you might be demonstrating the first symptoms of AK-addiction!!!

Can the blued finish be "polished" with steel wool and oil, or was the steel wool suggestion only if using cold blue on what I thought were rust spots?

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Can the blued finish be "polished" with steel wool and oil, or was the steel wool suggestion only if using cold blue on what I thought were rust spots?
    only in spots when using cold blue. you do the whole gun you will get rust off the oil in your skin and condensation. because you will take some of the bluing off the gun
    Last edited by silentkilla; 12-14-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok, thank you.

When we thought you were going to find rust, the very fine steel wool was the way to remove it. The only thing you want to do to the finish of your rifle is to give it a light coating of a good oil like Breakfree CLP. I regularly rub mine down with a cloth soaked in CLP. The bluing on many Chinese AKs was very thin, but you really don't want to do anything to change it, otherwise your good investment could lose it's value.

MJH, listen to this man. he is a genius on the A.K varient. also i am extremly jealous! you lucky dog you! fine rifle my brother, fine rifle!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He does seem to know a thing or two.

I certainly do not want to damage the original finish, so I will just stick with oil and a cloth. It does appear to be a very thin finish. I switched to Froglube for cleaning/protecting, but for some reason I think a true oil type product would be best for this situation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-14-2013 at 07:51 PM.

my lord man you have a nice rifle there. its not been shot much at all it appears. the safty/fire switch hasn't been flipped many times at all or you would see a scratch mark on it where it has been if so.

Previous owner said he had it out 2x, and guessed 3-400 rounds total. He didn't do a great job cleaning the internals, so I am getting ready to give it complete cleaning. Do most people remove the wood to protect it from solvents/etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Previous owner said he had it out 2x, and guessed 3-400 rounds total. He didn't do a great job cleaning the internals, so I am getting ready to give it complete cleaning. Do most people remove the wood to protect it from solvents/etc.?
    you can if you want to go that far but you don't have to. just make sure you wipe the wood down when finished. a little wood oil or something like that wouldn't hurt.

I only remove the lower handguard when cleaning my AK variants, but on something as old as your Norinco, I would think about removing the pistol grip to make sure there is no rust hiding under it. It usually is more of a problem with the plastic pistol grips, but something to think about. If you do, just remember how the grip nut fits into it's square hole.

The reason I remove the lower handguard is to make sure the complete barrel gets a good wipe down. While it would not be a bad idea to do the same to the gas tube, removing the upper handguard is risky as they are very easy to break if they don't want to come off easily. I have had many that slid off with no problems, but I have also had some that refuse to twist off, so with the exception of one, they won and stayed on. That one needed to come off as I was doing a swap for a friend, and I wound up having to wrap the wood in a heavy rag and use a large set of water pump pliers to convince it to come off. Not happy but at least it finally unstuck itself and didn't break.

I think for the first good cleaning, I am going to attempt to remove everything. It's not likely that the previous owner did that at all. My biggest concern is exactly what you mentioned, rust hiding somewhere normally unseen. If the upper doesn't want to cooperate at first, I won't force it.

Thanks again for the help!!

What did these rifles sell for when new back in the mid-80s? I was emailing back and forth with the seller to see if he had any luck finding the 5th magazine that he thought he had somewhere in his possession. When I asked him if he remembered what he paid, he was certain it was $795. That's nowhere close to the original selling price, right? I was in high school at the time, but I remember talking to the owner of a LGS, and recall that most AKs were in the $200 range, and most ARs were about double that.
    So, is he having an justified senior moment, or am I having one about 20yrs too soon?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

VERY nice score on the Norinco Chinese AK there. The last time I saw one of those in a gun shop in my area (about 4 yrs ago) the asking price was around $1200, & that's what it went for!

Very Very nice score!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12