Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 84 - need info/value.

Norinco 84 - need info/value.

Hello. I was referred to this site in hopes of finding out some info, and the value, of a Norinco AK 5.56 that was purchase new in the mid-80s. An older gentleman is selling the rifle for $700, which includes a total of 4 magazines, bayonet, and the manual. No box is included, but he is including 320 rounds of Norinco ammo. He claims to have put 400 rounds through the rifle. From the pictures he sent to me, it has obviously been used/abused. The stock has several large dings/deep scratches, and there appears to be small areas of rust on several locations.

I have spent the better part of this weekend trying to find a current value, along with more info regarding this rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have to decide whether to buy this or continue to look for something else. I have AR and HK rifles, so it's time to get an AK. The biggest problem I have had is trying to find a good source of info...which may have now been located on this site.

One thing that concerns me is the markings on the rifle. Every picture that I have been able to find of similar rifles has the small Norinco symbol near the rest of the stamping marks, however this one does not.

Can anybody offer me info regarding this particular rifle based on the picture provided? Given the condition as described, and items included in the sale, what would a fair value be for this rifle? Are these 5.56 rifles as reliable as the 7.62 versions? I know magazines are hard to find, and expensive...but that is the only negative thing that I have read about. Anything else bad/negative that I should know about with this rifle before I possibly buy? I have more pictures of various parts available, but I think they are too big to upload right now.

Last edited by MJH; 12-01-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Inserted photo.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I am going to type up a my feelings about the rifle, give me a minute and I will have your answer up soon.

PS, I inserted the photo for you.

First, the markings on the rifle are correct for a Norinco 84S.

Four mags these days are worth around $200 or more as they are getting very hard to find.

As to the rifle, I wouldn't worry about the wood as Norinco stock sets are still available in very good to new condition, and are running $100. That gives you an idea as to how much of a hit the rifle takes if it was in excellent condition.

About the rust, if not too bad you should be able to remove it using a good oil like Breakfree CLP but be careful not to use a pure rust remover as the bluing on the rifle might be removed along with the rust. I would suggest if you do get it to use CLP or come other good gun oil and a very fine steel wool to rub it out. I would then go over it with a cold blue followed by reoil to protect the rifle.

As to value, they are selling for about $1000 to $1200 new in box these days. Without box figure $900 to $1000 in excellent condition. The way you describe the rifle, $700 really isn't bad even with damaged wood and as long as the rust isn't deep. The four mags are a big plus even though the original rifle did ship with three mags.

The 84S is a great shooter, one of the most accurate of all AK variants imported into the land of shall not be infringed. I have an 84S-1 (underfolder) that I can pick off shotgun hulls at 50 yard with the iron sights. Add to that a great trigger and very low recoil makes for a lot of fun at the range.

Personally if I found an 84S with four 30 round mags and the other stuff for $700, as long as the insides were in good condition, the bore good remembering that chrome lined bores are normally shiny, I would be hard pressed not to add it to my stable.

And rereading your post, it comes with ammo! BUY IT!

Like nut said. Buy it. You would be surprised what some 0000 steel wool, OXPHO cold blue and break free can do. They are every accurate and reliable.

000 steel wool can and will be your friend. I agree with Nut. Welcome to the forum, enjoy.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Thank you to everyone that replied, the info is very helpful!! I was concerned that the surface rust would require a refinish, which might take away from any value associated with the rilfe.

I have one more question. Is the production date in the series of numbers pictured above?

imanaknut - So you made the picture work, huh...and here I thought that I finally figured out how to do something on a computer. Thanks for the help with the picture, as well as the great info!! Where can a like new stock sets be found, I am not finding them anywhere? The seller said that he can't see any rust or pitting in the barrel....but he is an older gentleman that admits to having horrible vision.

jojo & l921428x - Thanks for the suggestions. If I end up getting it, I will certainly be asking more about the process involved with bringing it back to it's proper condition.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.

The majority of the Chinese AK variants did not have date stamps on them. Some of the post-Bush1-ban rifles did, and there were some Poly Techs that had dates worked into their serial numbers, but as far as I know the pre-Bush1 Norincos were not date stamped. The 84S was one of the later imports, most likely in 1988 or 1989.

As for photos, check your PMs. Simply right click the uploaded photo, copy image URL, then in your post click on the at the top of the text window, select from URL tab, uncheck the box and then paste the copied URL in the space provided. Click ok and your photo will be inserted into your post. Really simple after you have done it two or three times.

As for a stock set, check Gunbroker auctions as Chinese wood comes up fairly often, or at least they used to.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    nut, would iron wood designs have them?
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes Ironwood Designs now makes a replacement set for the 56S/84S. It comes unfinished but I believe they do have a finishing service to match the Norinco color. I also have gotten good results using Minwax Antique Maple to closely replicate the Chinese yellowish gold.

Occasionally there is a guy on Gunbroker from Denmark that sells NOS furniture sets. I have purchased a couple from him and have always been happy.

OK, I need to decide if the 2hr road trip, and $700 is worth it. The seller sent me some pictures. Does anything seem like a possible issue that I should be concerned about? Do any of these pictures change your mind about this being a good deal?

The rifle looks fine. I do wish there was a picture of the muzzle as the 84S had a bird cage type flash hider very specific to that model. Luckily lately there are aftermarket replacement copies that look almost exactly like the original, so it no longer is as big a deal as it used to be.

Ok, if anyone saw this post before I checked things closer, it was just camera angle that made something look wrong. No problems after checking closer.

So to make things clear as I have seemed to be dreaming, if someone showed me that rifle for $700 with the four mags and ammo, I would probably hurt myself getting the money out!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    The rifle looks fine. I do wish there was a picture of the muzzle as the 84S had a bird cage type flash hider very specific to that model. Luckily lately there are aftermarket replacement copies that look almost exactly like the original, so it no longer is as big a deal as it used to be.

Ok, if anyone saw this post before I checked things closer, it was just camera angle that made something look wrong. No problems after checking closer.
    I was worried about that area as it appears to be broke, and missing a piece. However, I have never seen one in person, so I am not exactly sure what it is supposed to look like. Do you happen to have a good picture of that area so I can compare it to the actual part before I buy it?

Any idea what the black item is on the end of the stock? To me, it looks like a huge recoil pad. I can't find a picture of one of these with that thing attached to the stock. The seller claims that it came that way when new.

Here is a bad picture of the flash hider. I didn't post this pic before because the quality is not too good.

This is what it should look like, correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everything looks ok. There is a recoil pad available that fits over the standard butt plate and uses the same original screws. If it is one of them just remove the screws, remove the pad and reinstall the screws into the original plate being careful with the location of the cleaning kit trap door.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    This is what it should look like, correct?
    Those are the breech end of the barrel, not the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Those are the breech end of the barrel, not the muzzle.
    Yeah, in post #11 pics2&3, I thought it looked like there was a piece broken off. I just want to know how it should look so I can confirm the used rifle is good to go when I see it in person.
    Thanks a 3rd time for pointing me to this site, it's very helpful.

Those are clearance cuts for the AK's huge extractor.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

If you pass it up, I'll buy it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

i wouldn't bother changing the furniture on it. It looks great. Get it. Clean it. Shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast