Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Ruger .22/45 Lite.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Talking Picked up a Ruger .22/45 Lite.

I was looking for something better than the Sig Mosquito I have. Better in accuracy and able to run subsonic ammo without being picky. The first image is what you get in the box. A padlock for locking the bolt open. These also have the politically correct internal lock, that is activated by that black key looking thing below the trigger guard. You get a manual that goes over safe gun handling and how to take it down and put it back together. I swear the Ruger pistols are the biggest pains in the ass to take apart. Advantage Sig Mosquito, much easier to take apart and clean it.

Behind the pistol to the 9:00 in the photo is a Scope / red dot sight rail system that you can install on top of the weapon. I don't believe you have to take the iron sights off to use it. I'm thinking a small cheap red dot might be nice on it. You get a padded zippered pistol case emblazoned with their Ruger logo. It also comes with two metal magazines with the large .22/45 floor plates. Lastly that small manila envelope has a fired case in it. No doubt this is for anti Second Amendment states and cities that think they'll Sherlock Holmes a crime based off a casing left at the crime scene. (I don't believe any LEO agency has ever managed to pull that one off).

Next image the pistol with barrel thread muzzle nut removed. This feature is why I purchased this one. I did buy it on Friday and the gun shop had it $20 bucks discounted so about $380 before state sales tax. Out the door for about $406.

Last image is with my AAC Pilot, (an old one that can't be taken apart for cleaning the baffles). Fits on the barrel threads perfectly, snugs up against a wavy washer that is used to help lock on the muzzle nut / thread protector. Seems to work just fine with the can on there.

Lastly, I did have a chance to do some limited shooting with it. I ran 3 kinds of low velocity subsonic ammo. First one I ran was Winchester Super X Sub Sonic HP rounds. Except for issues with the magazines not wanting to feed 10 rounds the weapon worked fine with this ammo. I have to say I was disappointed with the magazines. They are stamped sheet metal and seem to have internal burrs on them. I lubed them and that helped a bit. I think they will need to be taken apart and worked on or just cycled a lot to smooth them up. I must say I never had this kind of an issue with any of the Sig Mosquito mags, advantage Sig.

Next I tried some Aguila Subsonic, not hollow points. This ammo you could hear variation in how loud it popped, but the Ruger functioned all rounds properly, all ejected and the bolt locked back on the last round just like the Winchester ammo did. Lastly, I ran some Bakial Russian made .22 LR ammo called Jr. Target. This ammo is serious crap, but noncorrosive. I could never get it to cycle in any of my semiauto firearms, Sig Mosquito or my AR15 Upper dedicated to .22 LR. It has a bad habit of the extractor's slipping off the poorly formed rims on these Russian rimfire cases. Well let me say the Ruger could deal with this crap ammo. I had proper cycling on 90% of the rounds through 3 mags of this shit. You could hear even more variation of sound in this ammo over the Aguila. ALL rounds extracted but some of the lower powered rounds stovepiped and caused a jam because they didn't eject all the way. Not a fault of the weapon, totally this crap ammo's fault but you know what, it is workable. I have 1000 rounds of this shit that I still need to blast down range. I now can do it in something other than my .22 bolt action which btw fails to extract the cases 50% of the time. So now I can get rid of this crap that's been sitting in my ammo dump since 1994. The ability to eat about any .22 LR round you put to it goes clearly to the Ruger .22/45 Lite pistol. Advantage Ruger over Sig.

On accuracy, not conclusive but I do believe the Ruger is doing a lot better than the Sig Mosquito. This was about 7 yards distance I was trying these rounds out at and doing sight corrections on the weapon. I do seem to remember larger groups at this distance from the Mosquito vs. what I was getting out of the Ruger. I haven't tried any 1200 fps + speed ammo yet, it may do even better on accuracy with more typical speed rounds.

Edit: Just checked Ruger's web site. The .22/45 LITE has the highest suggested MSRP of $499. I really consider myself to have gotten a deal on this one considering I purchased at the base price of $380 before tax.

nice

I got a 22/45 MK3 , same barrel length just not fluted or threaded.
    Got mine "used" still new in box for $200 last month.

the last full size 22/45 I had ate EVERYTHING. Even the garbage plated HP shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very Nice.

I'd like the same model to go with my older 22/45 target pistol.

Though I think my next .22 will be a M&P-22 pistol. Should be similar enough to most striker fired pistols to be used as a good trainer, and can accept a light to aid in eliminating late-night woodland critters.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    nice

I got a 22/45 MK3 , same barrel length just not fluted or threaded.
    Got mine "used" still new in box for $200 last month.

the last full size 22/45 I had ate EVERYTHING. Even the garbage plated HP shit.
    $200 is a nice price to pay, congrats. I do think these Ruger pistols are really good on eating any ammo you put through them. This Lite model, what looks like the barrel is really a hollow shroud, the real barrel inside is very thin, a pencil barrel you might say. There are multiple spokes or internal ribs that center the barrel and support it, so there is a really big air gap between the real barrel and the false outer barrel looking shroud. These things feel like a water pistol, really light weight. Despite that I didn't find it jumping around all that much, possibly because of the low bolt mass of these pistols. The Mosquito has an entire slide that reciprocates, way more mass in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Very Nice.

I'd like the same model to go with my older 22/45 target pistol.

Though I think my next .22 will be a M&P-22 pistol. Should be similar enough to most striker fired pistols to be used as a good trainer, and can accept a light to aid in eliminating late-night woodland critters.
    Do they make a model with a threaded barrel? That might be a nice one for a can on if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Do they make a model with a threaded barrel? That might be a nice one for a can on if they do.
    They all come threaded AFAIK.

The muzzle has a thread protector on it which can be replaced with a thread adapter that extends beyond the slide. I believe they come with the adapter as well, but could be wrong about that.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Yup.

They are threaded.

Scheutz, nice writeup. I have a MKIII that I really like. I got it for my wife but I enjoy shooting it almost as much as she does. I have found it to be very accurate and the trigger isn't that bad for a cheapie .22.

I was drawn to it because of the Luger-esque look that it has. I love the grips that came with yours, I'll have to see if they make something similar for the mk III. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with the mags. I have a few of them and haven't had any problems.

Yes, it is a B*TCH to take apart and put back together. I am hoping it will get a little easier after a few strippings. I really don't like how one of the steps for re-assembly is to beat on it with a hammer (per the manual). I have been shooting what ever I can get through it and haven't really had any problems with reliability. Right now with .22 as we all know, you take what you can find. I have some mini-mags and .22 lr federal match ammo that seem to work ok.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Fine looking pistol you got there Schuetz, especially with the can!

I don't know why people talk down about Rugers (except when the old man rolled over for the gov't) but their firearms have always seemed to be very good quality wise.

To FunkyP., looks like that one might be something to check out. It is nice they thought to make it threaded for suppressor use. Just looked at the S&W web site. It says it is
    Made by the .22 experts at Carl Walther, GmbH for Smith & Wesson.
    To NAPOTS, thanks for the compliments on the grip panels but I think they may be synthetic, I've seen several of these 22-45 LITES and they all have that grip regardless of the color of the barrel shroud. I wanted a basic black one like this, wasn't interested in the metallic silver and gold ones. On the trigger, I find the trigger pull to be nice and crisp, no grit to it. I had a 5.5 inch bull barreled Mk II back in the mid 1970's. It had a really awful gritty trigger on it with a lot of creep to it as well. Sold that one mostly because the trigger was so crummy.

To Nut, yes old Bill Ruger was a sell out in 1994 and I hadn't purchased a Ruger product since then because of him. He's dead now and it is a different company now. The SR-5.56 rifles and them selling factory high cap mags for the Mini-14's again prove that. The functional quality and robust nature of Ruger weapons has always been high, though the old Mini-14's were scatter gun accurate. Despite that lack of accuracy they always ran 100% with a quality magazine in it. I really think Ruger has made a commitment to put out a "better" product since Bill checked out. My compliments to their vast improvement in weapon quality and not kissing the anti-gunner's asses any longer.

Very nice. Does this mean there is a new can for it in the future?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Very nice. Does this mean there is a new can for it in the future?
    I would love to have a better .22 LR can, one you can take apart and clean. It would either be one of the AAC Element 2's or if I could find it local the new Yankee Hill Stinger. I like that one as it is a lot cheaper than an AAC Element 2 and it has steel baffles that can stand up to cleaning better than the typical aluminum baffles of most .22 LR cans like the Pilot that I have. Even if you get it jail broken for $200 you still have aluminum baffles that in time will wear down.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Do yourself a big favor and get a Majestic Speed Strip kit. With this kit, the pin that runs all the way through the receiver holding the bolt inside is removable from the top with a hex key. Never have to cram that poorly fitting part back into the rear of the grip again.

I also remove the lawyer parts and add a Volquartzen trigger kit while I have it opened up. No more magazine safety or loaded chamber indicator.

Also, if you're in the market for a new .22 can, take a look at Liberty. I have a Liberty Kodiak and love it.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

I hadn't heard of the Majestic speed strip kit before now or Liberty Suppressors. Checked them both out. I see Midway USA has the Majestic kits for about $55 bucks. I noticed a review that said the Majestic hammer gave the reviewer's pistol failures to fire ever 2 to 3 rounds. He had to put his stock hammer back in and that cured it. You ever had any problems like that?

I hadn't heard of the Majestic speed strip kit before now or Liberty Suppressors. Checked them both out. I see Midway USA has the Majestic kits for about $55 bucks. I noticed a review that said the Majestic hammer gave the reviewer's pistol failures to fire ever 2 to 3 rounds. He had to put his stock hammer back in and that cured it. You ever had any problems like that?
    I used the hammer from the Volquartzen trigger kit, so I wouldn't know about the Majestic hammer. I have two Ruger .22 pistols. They make hands-down the best .22 pistols once you've done a little tinkering. The Majestic kit is the only thing that has kept me from throwing both of them out the window after a range session. After installing the kit, I never have to fight with the mainspring housing again.

There's a guy on another forum (don't remember which, it's been a while) who makes a solid piece that fills the opening in the receiver if you want to take out the loaded chamber indicator.

Liberty has a great reputation on Silencer Talk.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I assume those are after market grips. Are the .22/45's bone?

I assume those are after market grips. Are the .22/45's bone?
    Redwood burl. The other ones are birdseye maple.

Cool. One of these days. I am going to venture into suppressor land.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Cool. One of these days. I am going to venture into suppressor land.
    Now that surprises me that you don't have one yet, you're not shy about NFA purchases. These don't cost nearly as much as the full autos. They definitely put a smile on your face when you shoot even a semi with one, (all I own). I've let others shoot my AR and the Mosquito before this Ruger with the cans on and they all grinned big time. One guy giggled like a 5 year old school girl after he shot just one round out of a mag.

The Pilot isn't the quietest can on the market but even so with subsonics it is less noisy than a BB gun. An AR15 with ball ammo sounds like a .22 LR going off.

Now that surprises me that you don't have one yet, you're not shy about NFA purchases. These don't cost nearly as much as the full autos. They definitely put a smile on your face when you shoot even a semi with one, (all I own). I've let others shoot my AR and the Mosquito before this Ruger with the cans on and they all grinned big time. One guy giggled like a 5 year old school girl after he shot just one round out of a mag.

The Pilot isn't the quietest can on the market but even so with subsonics it is less noisy than a BB gun. An AR15 with ball ammo sounds like a .22 LR going off.
    Every time that I have money saved up....Something else gets in the way. Maybe Santa will be good to me. I like your new Ruger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast