Thread: loading lead pistol bullets

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

loading lead pistol bullets

i have a few hundred lead pistol bullets i was given. some are sized/lubed, and some arent.

do i really need to worry about sizing/lubing? there are no gas checks on any of them. can i just stuff them right in dry and use them? or do i really have to worry about sizing?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lube definitely, sizing ... depends on how they cast and what size they are. What caliber are they? I genereally use bullets .001 to .002" bigger than spec. It helps prevent leading. A small bullet will lead heavily.

Because cast bullets are not usually as hard as jacketed bullets they won't develop as much pressure. Still, if they are too oversized they could bump pressures up a lot. If you're using starting powder charges you should be OK more than likely. Go buy some liquid Alox by Lee and you can tumble the un sized bullets to put a film on them. Follow the instructions on the packaging.

yea, biggest thing is .. what caliber?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

ok, a bit of a moot point now.

nothing to do at work today, so i was just internetting. i was under teh impression that id have to get a whole set up like this:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...lube-sizer.php

but now i see there are simple sizing dies that i can use with my existing reloading press for $20 ea. for that, its not a big deal. also, if that liquid lue can just be coated on them and work, and not have to worry about those wax based shit that has to be heated and whatnot, again, that is definitely simple (and cheap) enough for me to handle.

am i on teh right track here? would that be sufficient?

i inherited a few hundred, mostly .45, a few .44, bunch of .38/357, and a box of .380.

i do some casting, but only round ballls and maxi balls for the flintlock (and some fishing lures), ive never done any lead in cased ammo.

would that be sufficient?
    yep It's what i use for about everything, mostly all my various .30 cal bullets I toss a gas check on when sizing too.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...lube-sizer.php

I have one of these set up for my .451 bullets , Way more cleaner than alox and a whole lot less smoke.

I'd be broke if I didnt cast, Im making about 30 lbs of ignots today to add to my "i dont know how heavy" pile of ignots
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 12-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

did these tonight between working on my bren and another project or 3.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yep I have the Lyman 450 luber sizer since I was 17. The best thing about them is that you can seat a gas check and crimp it on while sizing and lubing the bullet. For non gaschecked bullets the Saeco Luber Sizer might be a bit better because you should be able to simply drive the bullets in and not have them come back up like he Lyman system. Put a cloth chute into a box and you can just punch it in, put on the lube then pull up put in another bullet and punch it down, lube it. Thus they all come out the bottom, so a bit faster than the Lyman. http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...co-lubri-sizer

Ah the Lyman ingot mold, I think I have at least two of those.

so, something like this on my rcbs rock chucker would work or not?

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/b...010171_d_21344

i plan on keeping casting for black powder, but that much lead would last me half a lifetime. maybe after i use these up i might get into the whole lead bullet thing more. prob have around 2k-2500 all together, so it will take a while to use these up.

those are fine. I have multiple Lee sizers and have no issues.

I only bought the lubrisizer cause .45 is my primary caliber. I might get the .309 and .312 setup next but shit pricey for those little parts.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    so, something like this on my rcbs rock chucker would work or not?

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/b...010171_d_21344

i plan on keeping casting for black powder, but that much lead would last me half a lifetime. maybe after i use these up i might get into the whole lead bullet thing more. prob have around 2k-2500 all together, so it will take a while to use these up.
    Sure that will work just fine. It's a different approach but there are more ways than one to skin a cat or in this case size a bullet. I have a similar system I made up to size 58 caliber Mini balls for my musket, it works the same way. Use the ram on the press to shove the bullet up thorough the die nose first.