Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency Generator Help

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14 miketx's Avatar

I have one on these:

It works well, and I have used it to run 1 good size ac unit and an icebox along with some lights. One thing that you have to do: Be SURE you have fuel before the power goes out because the gas stations pumps run on electricity. 20 gallons (what I keep) won't last long. as an alternative, which is what I will do when I finish my bug out house, is to install a wind generator and 6 deep cycle marine batterys to provide a minimum of power for grid down situations. LED lighting draws very small amounts of power. Here's one that you can afford:

http://www.amazon.com/Turbine-Genera...bine+generator

You'll need an inverter and some other stuff that you can look up, but it will power some stuff in a pinch. If and when I get one up, I'll post it.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14 miketx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Not a problem. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about generators.

On a side note, I went in to Tractor Supply Company (a farm-oriented store) and saw something I might try out, too. They had different sized propane tanks (20 gal. up to 100 gal.) and little cone shaped heater elements (single and double) that fit on the top of them. The sign said the single heater will run for 14 hours on full heat using a 20 gal. tank. I was thinking of getting the 100 gal. tank, with the double heater and two 20 gal. tanks with the single heaters to use for emergency heat. That way, I wouldn't need too big of a generator to run a few other things (refrigerator, water pump, and lights).

Does this sound feasible?
    You're probably looking at 20 POUND tanks and 100 POUND tanks. It's real easy to make that mistake. We have a 30000 btu heater that will heat a small home. The colder it is the faster it goes.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12