Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Generator Help

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Question Emergency Generator Help

I'm looking into getting an emergency generator for the house.

How do I calculate the minimum size generator I would need for my house?

Is gas or diesel better?

Is there anything else I need to consider before buying one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Natural gas seems to be the state of the art these days. I have a gas Homelite 5500 with electric start and I keep it on a battery tender. Had it for many years.

Search for "Generator Sizing calculator"
    Last edited by shorthair; 12-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I don't have one, it is one of the things I've been thinking about getting. There are definitely 2 basic options as the way to go; whole house coverage or a generator just big enough to run your fridge and freezer with maybe a light or two as capacity. The whole house option is going to be natural gas or propane powered and they usually have an auto on capability when they sense power loss. In theory a very nice feature and way to go. But it sure does cost a lot more money, $5000 range.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    i've got one big enough to run the fridge, freezer, and the t.v. and a couple lights. don't know what size it is because work gave it to me. and some idiot spray painted it black. they were fixing to chunk it in the garbadge. they thought it was locked up. i pulled the spark plug and pulled the rope. it blew gas everywhere. compression had it seized up. works like a charm now.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

yep I have one that would drive you nuts.

be careful if you plug in sensitive electronics.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

This one is wide open...

Is your major reason for a back up is summer storms, hurricanes, etc. you may want enough to run your A/C or at least a room A/C.

If it is winter storms, electric heat can be diverted to gas, propane, coal, wood or pellet as cheap as the extra generator capacity.

There are two engine types and four fuels for most generators

ENGINES:

*Diesel - Compression Ignition
    **Pro - Long service life, longest between maintenance cycles, most reliable, best on fuel usage
    **Con - Far more expensive to purchase, repairs parts & service are higher

*Gasoline - Spark Ignition
    **Pro - Less expensive to purchase, Less expensive to maintain
    **Con - Uses more fuel, requires more maintenance, life cycle is much less

FUELS:
    *Diesel - Light oil sometimes mixed with Kerosene for winter use; Cannot be used in gasoline/spark ignition engines
    **Pro - Highest BTU potential i.e. generates the most per gallon / uses less gallons per hour, engines last longer burning diesel than other fuels
    **Con - Long term storage fuel storage is a challenge because of water collection and bio-contamination, Cost per gallon is highest

*Gasoline - Aromatic fuel now mostly mixed with ethanol; generally does not work in compression ignition diesel engines
    **Pro - Common and readily available, uses less fuel per hour or Kilowatt than propane or natural gas
    **Con - Water and Bio contamination storage problems, Requires vented tank than losses fuel and is flammable, highest maintenance on engines

*Propane - Liquid gas, can be used in Converted gasoline or diesel engines
    **Pro - Stores best of the fuels in sealed tanks, second cheapest per gallon price, burns clean, can also be used in common cooking devices
    **Con - Uses about 1.3 (I need to verify, I'm thinking it is higher) times the fuel per hour/kilowatt as diesel

* Natural Gas - Gaseous gas delivered by pipeline
    **Pro - Needs no storage or delivery, Cheapest per unit, Generally reliable even in power outages
    **Con - Highest usage per hour/kilowatt, if the utility line goes down you have no fuel, Cannot be used in rural areas w/o gas lines, cannot store on site w/o special provision and extra cost

Basically, if money is no object, a propane converted diesel engine with large storage tanks is the best set up.

You need to balance cost, power requirements, possible run times and other factors.

I have a propane converted gasoline engine 4Kw unit for my RV, a portable gasoline unit for general use and a manual start diesel unit I'm setting up for whole house.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 12-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I have a 4000 w gas gen...

I bought it a few years ago and served me well on an RV trip when a storm knocked out the power for 5 days. Ran the trailer just fine. We were supposed to get ice this past week so I got it all ready to run a couple heaters. Ice did not happen. If it did, I ws just going to put the stuff in the fridge outside in the cold. I had a chance to buy a 75oo w diesel last summer but just did not have the money. chris3

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    I bought it a few years ago and served me well on an RV trip when a storm knocked out the power for 5 days. Ran the trailer just fine. We were supposed to get ice this past week so I got it all ready to run a couple heaters. Ice did not happen. If it did, I ws just going to put the stuff in the fridge outside in the cold. I had a chance to buy a 75oo w diesel last summer but just did not have the money. chris3
    A 4Kw is rated to run an RV using one a/c unit and should be limited to one high draw appliance i.e. Micro, Electric Coffee Maker, Blow Dryer... Really, only the starters on the a/c's use 16 amps and running they draw far less so as long as they both do not cycle at the same time you are OK. I start one and set it to 63º to run continuously, then start the second until I get the unit cooled down. The same works in a 30 amp connection in a 50 amp RV.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

If it's too heavy to lift I would highly recommend getting the wheel kit with whatever generator you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    If it's too heavy to lift I would highly recommend getting the wheel kit with whatever generator you buy.

Why?

LOL

LMAO!!! i do wish i had that son of a bitch setting in the spot where i have mine though.... bet that would run your house! lol
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sorry to OP for the thread hijack but i have bad news.... i went to check on my generator a min ago and it done the same thing as when i first got it . built to much compression and had to take the spark plug out and pull the string to free it. when i did this it blew a watery substance out of where the spark plug goes and not straight gas... is my generator screwed or has anyone else had this problem before. not understanding it because i keep it in a shed that does not leak.

I would look it up in your generator forums. Could be condensation. Do you keep the fuel tank full with sta-bil? I either keep it full or run it out of gas.

no buddy the fuel tank was empty . i run it out before i store it just like you said. i put fresh gas in it this morning. the compression had it seized up again so i took the spark plug out and pulled the rope. it blew water out of it and a fairly good bit. at least a table spoon full. the only bad thing is that i do not have a manual for the generator. so if anybody could help on this situation i would appriciate it. sorry again to the OP

I have not cranked it in about 3 months also.

Most likely condensation... or residual water from the fuel. The ethanol attracts moisture.

Disconnect the fuel line (plug it) and remove the air filter and housing, also the spark plug. Spray carb cleaner into the air intake and fuel intake while cranking the engine periodically. Reassemble with new plug and try it. If the jet is free it should start. If it doesn't start you may have to disassemble and clean the carb.

I've had better luck FILLING the tank with fuel treated with stabilizer. Especially if you start everything once a month or so... Try to avoid ethanol in your small engines and always use premium.

thank you sir's for the help and after i work on it i'll give you all an update! thanks again El Laton Caliente

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    no buddy the fuel tank was empty . i run it out before i store it just like you said. i put fresh gas in it this morning. the compression had it seized up again so i took the spark plug out and pulled the rope. it blew water out of it and a fairly good bit. at least a table spoon full. the only bad thing is that i do not have a manual for the generator. so if anybody could help on this situation i would appriciate it. sorry again to the OP
    Not a problem. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about generators.

On a side note, I went in to Tractor Supply Company (a farm-oriented store) and saw something I might try out, too. They had different sized propane tanks (20 gal. up to 100 gal.) and little cone shaped heater elements (single and double) that fit on the top of them. The sign said the single heater will run for 14 hours on full heat using a 20 gal. tank. I was thinking of getting the 100 gal. tank, with the double heater and two 20 gal. tanks with the single heaters to use for emergency heat. That way, I wouldn't need too big of a generator to run a few other things (refrigerator, water pump, and lights).

Does this sound feasible?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I use my Big Buddy heater in the garage with a 20lb tank. The heater was 120.00, the hose was 35.00, the filter for the 20lb tank was 15.00, the adapter to refill the small tanks from the 20lb tank was 10.00 and the in service full tank was 26.00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast