Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: needing to find a good bore site for my remington 700 sps tac 308

were gun laws are finally making since!!!

needing to find a good bore site for my remington 700 sps tac 308

ok guys, as the title says but i would like to find one that is adjustable to fit from my 223 to my 308 and everything in between do they make such a bore site? if so any info would be appreciated! thanks for any info.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

old fashioned way always worked well for me.

thank you steve!!! that is exactly what i need! going in the shopping cart now!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

what old fashioned way are you talking about??? i have only 50 yards to shoot at the house and all the ranges are closed till after deer and duck season. so i figured i could site it in at 50 and bring it with me when i have 100 or 200 yards in front of me. load it and see were my scope is on the red dot at that distance.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Centerpoint had one with different plugs to fit different calibers from .17 to .50 (and even 410, 20, and 12 guage). It worked well for a while, but then from out of nowhere it started burning up the batteries and over heating. I'm just investing in round specific bore sighters.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

so your going to sight it in at 50, and then check it at 100 with the boresighter. if you get it on at 50 and it is off by more than an inch or 2 at 100, you hve somethign SERIOUSLY wrong with your rifle, and a boresighter will not get it that close anyway.

nah bro im going to bore site it at 50 get it close shoot a few and see were there hitting. get it dead on at 50 and then were i hunt has about 100 to a 150 yd open feild. i'm going to find something to put my scope on and put the bore site on that and see how close i have it at that distance without taking a shot, unless a 10 point get in the cross hairs.... lol. what i have is a remington sps tactical in 308. it has a 3x9x52 brand new redfeild revenge on it

What load are you shooting with? I have a ballistic card made up for Federal Gold Medal Match 308 168 grain ammo.

even still, it shouldnt take you more than 2-3 shots to get you closer at 50 than a boresighter will.

ive got a fixed 10x on mine:
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...cope-P499.aspx

same scope i have on my 50, just lower magnification,. at 100yd i get moa or better groups from steel cases wolf ammo. my handloads will regularly do less than 1/2moa, usually around .25" (thats 5 shots of 308 in a .40 caliber sized hole) you get teh right load for it, and it will perform.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    what old fashioned way are you talking about???

Place target 50 feet away. Secure rifle in a gun vise (or makeshift vise) pointing at target. Remove bolt. Look down bore from butt end. Adjust rifle so that target is centered in bore. Adjust crosshairs to center on the target. The rifle is now bore sighted.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    What load are you shooting with? I have a ballistic card made up for Federal Gold Medal Match 308 168 grain ammo.
    thats what i want to shoot with but can't find any... i'm shooting 170gr federal fusions

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    even still, it shouldnt take you more than 2-3 shots to get you closer at 50 than a boresighter will.

ive got a fixed 10x on mine:
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...cope-P499.aspx

same scope i have on my 50, just lower magnification,. at 100yd i get moa or better groups from steel cases wolf ammo. my handloads will regularly do less than 1/2moa, usually around .25" (thats 5 shots of 308 in a .40 caliber sized hole) you get teh right load for it, and it will perform.
    what gr. do you prefur in your 308?

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Place target 50 feet away. Secure rifle in a gun vise (or makeshift vise) pointing at target. Remove bolt. Look down bore from butt end. Adjust rifle so that target is centered in bore. Adjust crosshairs to center on the target. The rifle is now bore sighted.
    holy shit! never would have thought of doing it that way!! thank you L1A1 for that awsome info!

Your kidding right? You didn't know that?

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    what gr. do you prefur in your 308?
    168gn hornaday a-max. iirc, #30502

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    This puts you on paper, sometimes better. A laser may put you in or near the 9 or 10 ring if done right.

I've got one of the cheaper lasers that uses o-rings in the end of the barrel. It is better than nothing and gets you on paper. The chamber lasers are the best set up and if you work with just a few calibers, the investment isn't too bad.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    Your kidding right? You didn't know that?
    I was in the marines for 5 years and never seen anyone do that... NO i did not know

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    168gn hornaday a-max. iirc, #30502
    i will be trying some of this. but one question is that a specific load you do or can you buy this??

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    This puts you on paper, sometimes better. A laser may put you in or near the 9 or 10 ring if done right.

I've got one of the cheaper lasers that uses o-rings in the end of the barrel. It is better than nothing and gets you on paper. The chamber lasers are the best set up and if you work with just a few calibers, the investment isn't too bad.
    I agree. steve pointed out one made by LaserLyte i already have coming. ordered it after i looked at it on the link. Thanks again GunReferance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast