Thread: just a question for you early vietnam era vets.

just a question for you early vietnam era vets.

my father in law died a few years back and I was by my mil given a map. the map is of n and s vietnam, laos, cambodia. it says
    1960 internal administrative divisions

n vietnam
    s vietnam
    laos
    cambodia

and all the provinces within in all the areas.

10-62 printed by army map service. corps of engineers

it also shows thailand, burma and china not in detail.

this map has a very distinctive 3 or 4 lap circle, in marker, drawn around a town in thailand . the town is about 80 miles n of bangkok and has only a railroad line and a major road.

the name is/was Lop Bun.

Have any of you ever heard of this place?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Haven't heard of it, but a quick search makes me ask if it is Lop Bun or Lop Buri, and the "ri" looks like an "n"?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

N/A you are correct it is Lop Buri.

just seems strange to me that nothing on this map is marked but that town. this map has a scale of about 1" equals about 30 miles and shows all of the major roads, towns, rail, rivers, track/trails, canals.
    it is also made of a material I am unfamiliar with, like a plastic/rubber combination that seems very strong and pliable. 27"w x 36"l.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Found this, sounds like a lot of white, black, and gray ops set up around there:

There were 3 build ups of Military Troops in Thailand. The first occurred between 1950 and 1961 with the first military agreement signed between Thailand and the United States. The second between 1962 and 1965, the third was between 1966-1976.

1950-1961 Units
    1950 MAAG Thailand
    1951 SEA SUPPLY at Lopburi (Southeast Asia Supply)(CIA)
    1952 MAAG Thailand become JUSMAGTHAI
    1952 ACAN Army Communications Administrative Network Unknown what units ran this network
    1959 83rd RRSOU Bangkok
    1959 SEATO Medical Lab
    1960 US Army Signal Research Unit 11
    1960 ACAN becomes STARCOM – Unknown what units ran this network
    1961 JTF-116 (Consisted of the 3rd MEW and VMA 332 which took up residence at Udorn and the 27th Infantry Division in Korat)
    1961 6010TAG at Don Muang RTAFB
    1961 27th TFW at Tahkli RTAFB

Was there when Cambodia fell under Pol Pot in 75, don't remember hearing that name or base, best bet CIA front HQ, they worked a lot out of Thailand until the fall of Saigon in April 75. Hell the crawled all over SE Asia, no borders for them chaps. I remember one time on the Thai border they came in yelled at some Major and in 30 minutes they had 6 Huey's at their disposal, with 2 being Huey gunships. No argument at all.. I was surprised a few yrs after I ETS-ed that VN invaded Cambodia going after Pol Pots ass. They also fought off the Chinese in a 6 month incursion into their country. VN do not like the Chinese one bit, never have and never will. Air Force and Army were heavy in Thailand though and a lot of Airmen there and on Guam never got any credit at all for anything. Thailand was WIDE open in them days for sure., was better duty than Nam. Some of the most beautiful women I ever saw, half Thai and French, momma mia as daddy would say. The Cambodian Khmer Rouge where no joke though they drove hundreds of thousands of Cambodians into Thailand and the UN set up camp after camp, some I hear today have become permanent villages now. Don't know and ain't ever going back. Watch a movie called the "killing fields" you will get a damn good idea of what was going on there at that point in time, and it ain't pretty at all, I was a 20 yr old soldier and I look back and see how naïve I really was about this world we live in, and the BS these days makes me wonder, A LOT!
    Last edited by rshaneck2002; 12-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.