Thread: Taking a Russian/German into the woods.

Taking a Russian/German into the woods.

Cold as crap out. Kids had a two hour delay. Doe season. So, taking my Russian capture K98 out in the woods. Had to dig out the box. But I have some Remington 8mm Mauser 170 grain soft point ammo. Wish me luck!

Also taking a Polish M44 as a back up rifle. Hope to be home by dark. Weather warmed up to 22.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

So how'd it go? Mixing Russians and Poles could be risky not to mention the German connection.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    So how'd it go? Mixing Russians and Poles could be risky not to mention the German connection.
    Saw a squirl, and a black bear. The bear was WAY to far away to take a shot. Did a bunch of walking up and down hills to keep warm. It was cold. And nothing was moving. But me. Stan got a buck. So, no real need to take another deer. So, that is why I took the K98. I figured open sights. If I had a good shot, I would have taken it.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sounds like more fun than I had today. Nice. On a related note, as I went out my garage door this morning a large doe shot from the corner of my lot in the subdivision and ran around the corner of the house across the street. There is a small stream that runs behind that house and through a big pipe as it goes under the road. 10 seconds later as I'm opening my Truck door here comes that same large doe and 3 smaller ones. They run straight across the street and disappear into the thicket on each side of the stream on the opposite side of the road. May have to look into the legalities of zapping one with my crossbow if they're going to invade my suburb.

There are woods about 50 yds. behind me and the deer come to the edge (usually) to eat acorns, etc. The morning after a recent 1-2" snowfall, there were tracks in the neighbor's yard across the street from me where they had come up during the night to eat his acorns! It was a doe or yearling as there was almost no gap between the hooves and were ~2-2.5" long.
    But this is at least 100 yds. from the nearest cover! Go figure!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”