Thread: SHTF Truck Gun

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question SHTF Truck Gun

Just for fun I was thinking about how I would like things set up for a SHTF/zombie apocalypse scenario and started thinking about putting a firearm in each vehicle. Say you have a group that you put together well before anything happened so you've had years to combine money and resources towards your common goal of survival. Everyone in your group has a Glock G17 and an M4 clone as their primary and secondary firearms. Now assume that as a group you have 8-10 vehicles from pickups to SVU, couple of vans and box trucks, etc. Your rules are that no one leaves camp alone and vehicles only leave in pairs (no less than two vehicles) so at the least you will always have two people and two vehicles when ever you leave the compound/base. Was thinking about this rule and maybe it's not the best. My intention was that should a vehicle breakdown or get stuck the 2nd could pull it out or bring the crew back but was thinking that without good planning you could end up using a lot more gas then you needed to plus you could loose two vehicles instead of just one. Perhaps it would be better to just go with the two person rule whether on foot or in a vehicle.

Was thinking that each vehicle should carry a spare firearm if for no other reason than it can. Considered making this extra gun a Glock but even though it would take up less room I think a long gun would be better. Basically due to the fact that you can use a rifle up close if necessary but trying to use a pistol at a distance seems less prone to success,

So far I've ended up with two possibilities.

#1 is to add a spare M4 to each vehicle. This would be kept in a soft assault type case, one 20 or 30rd mag in the gun and 4-5 30rd mags in the soft case mag pockets. You could use this firearm to arm another person, replace a long gun that has been lost or has become inoperable/damaged or simply use the extra ammo for your own M4.

#2 is to add a pistol caliber carbine to each vehicle. Since each person would already have a G17 with three mags I would op for something like a KelTec or some kind of AR platform carbine that uses the same Glock mags. The carbine would also be in a soft case with on G17 mag in the carbine and maybe 2-3 G18 mags, 32-33rd in the pouches on the assault case. My thinking on this was that, as with the M4 you could arm another person who either didn't have a firearm or had lost theirs. As with option #1 you could just use the mags in your issue G17 if you needed. Granted it's still a pistol caliber but the carbine would make it more useful at a distance than your standard G17 and it might be a little handier up close than the M4.

So, given the reasoning above which do you think would be more beneficial, the M4 or the pistol caliber carbine and why? I had considered using a shotgun of some type as a truck gun but decided against it. Since it would have less range and accuracy than the M4 and a lot more weight for it and it's ammo than the G17 or a pistol caliber carbine I couldn't see where it would make more sense than the other two other than if you wanted/needed it for shooting birds for food. If you disagree let me know. If you wouldn't use a truck gun I'd like to hear your reasoning for that as well.

Just something fun to discuss for a Saturday morning. TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell