Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this package worth the price?

Is this package worth the price?

Someone local to me has the following for sale for $950.00. I have considered getting into reloading, but I don't know if this is a good deal of not. I think the press costs just under $400.00 new by itself.

Complete Dillon RL550B Reloading setup for sale. Like new, used for about 2,000 rounds. $950 obo.

Dillon RL550B 4 stage progressive reloading press
    Dillon Strong Mount
    Dillon Bullet tray
    Dillon 9mm conversion kit
    Dillon 9mm carbide 3 die set
    Lee .223 Deluxe 3 die set
    Frankford Arsenal case tumbler & media separator
    Primer Flip Tray
    Hornady primer pocket cleaner
    4-Primer pickup tubes
    Frankford Arsenal impact bullet puller
    1000 Federal small rifle primers
    800 Federal small pistol primers
    4- 1# jugs Ramshot Tac rifle powder
    1/2# Alliant Power Pistol powder
    Approx. 1750 9mm 115 grain Plated round nose bullets
    Lyman Reloading manual #49
    Speer Reloading manual #14
    The ABC'S of Reloading 9th edition
    Alliant Reloaders guide
    2'X4' Bench

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

IMO, decent buy but no steal...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    IMO, decent buy but no steal...

Thanks for the input sir. I kind of felt the same way but being a reloading neophyte, I wasn't sure.

I got a 650 with similar extras for about the same price. Bought a 550 for less the came with HUGE extras...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I got a 650 with similar extras for about the same price. Bought a 550 for less the came with HUGE extras...
    May I ask what you would consider a good price for the package offered?

Excluding the bench, I came up with $1200 retail (mostly Midway and Graph), which is more than I thought it would. At 75% I would say top price used is $900 excluding the bench. Lowball would be 50% retail or $600. I had mentally come up with about $1K or a little more originally.

You say condition is nearly new. Half way from lowball to high end is $750. I would shoot for about $750 plus what I thought the bench was worth as a baseline price.

He is at what I would call the buy line in price if it was something I needed/wanted.

If you are running out to buy a new Dillion 550 and run into this deal, you have still saved about $300 minimum. If you already have a reloading press, especially something like a Lee or Lyman Turrent, and are looking to up grade, you can afford to wait for a deal...

This really boils down to your situation and what you want.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Depends on how bad you want to get into reloading. I would say it is a pretty nice and complete package. It adds up to more than $950 if you go out and purchase all of it brand new. It isn't a steal, but it isn't a rape job either. I can say that the Dillon 550B presses are great presses, I've been using one since 1993 and nothing has broken on the press. The Ramshot Tac powder is a decent one for .223 / 5.56 NATO reloading, good for 55 to 69 gr. bullets. You could do worse than getting into reloading with that over all deal.

Thank you for your input gentlemen. I presently have nothing in the way of reloading equipment. I had a rockcrusher years ago, but that is long gone.

Wave eight $100 bills at him and see what he does....

Wave eight $100 bills at him and see what he does....
    I did offer him $800.00. His first response was he could do that without the 9 mm bullets. I mentioned that without the bullets, $800 is paying his original quoted price of $950.00 He is considering my offer for all of it. I'll let you guys know how it shakes out.

Split the difference with him, offer $875. By the way, did they say why they were selling all their reloading stuff?
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-26-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Split the difference with him, offer $875. By the way, did they say why they were selling all their reloading stuff?
    I may do that. He didn't say why he was selling and I didn't think to ask. This is through a local Facebook group for buying and selling guns.

if anything you could sell off the extras.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The guy just messaged me. He will take my offer of $800.00. All I have to do is pick it up and pay da man!

Good deal!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, a little late on this but I think you're getting a good deal at $800 - especially if you are interested in the 9mm loading. Lots of good equipment included, and as said, good press.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The good thing about a dillon is that if something does break, they will send you a new part for free.

I picked it up tonight and I am very pleased. I'll spend the next few days sorting it out and setting it up. Thanks again all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    He said he needed the cash. I didn't press him as to why. I noticed he was selling several handguns in the same group on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    He said he needed the cash. I didn't press him as to why. I noticed he was selling several handguns in the same group on FB.
    Sounds like a Divorce or he lost his job. Either one is a bad deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast