Thread: New AK!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

New AK!

I picked up an M70 o-pap while the forum was down. Paid $545 plus $20 for transfer, thanks to Recon's post about these rifles a few weeks ago.

For those that don't know, the Serbian "o-pap" being imported by Century is the civilian version of a "Yugo" M70, meaning it has no grenade launching parts like the sights or gas shut off, its missing the flip-up night sights, and the bayonet lug is missing. All for the children of course.

The O-pap and the N-pap differ in that the O-pap uses the 1.5mm receiver and the RPK style enlarged front trunnion. Barrels are not chrome lined, but they are standard Serbian hammer-forged AK barrels. Scope rail is weird and cause everything to sit high and far back. The only "perfect" fit is an RS mount model 310 base. Midwest industries mounts seem to be able to be made to fit by filing a channel for the upper rail of the side mount to pass through. Also it came with a single hook G2, although the gun is cut for a double hook.

I've added a US Palm brown grip and a knock-off 6-slot phantom flash suppressor I had laying around. I'll also refinish the wood and add a rear sling swivel and sling.

Here she is:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Very nice looking rifle. I knew it was a version of the M70 but didn't realize a Serbian variant. Learned something new the first few minutes the site was back up!!!

I read the o pap is going away. Get em while you can.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks good, congrats. Have you shot it yet?
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-19-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Looks good, congrats. Have you shot it yet?
    My opportunity to test fire it was ruined by bad luck.

My spring break is week after next and I plan on testing two guns for reliability, and sighting in two optics. This gun will get test fired and sighted in as well.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Nice looking muzzle break. Can't remember which kind that is?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Nice looking muzzle break. Can't remember which kind that is?
    Its a phantom compensator/flash hider. I've actually swapped it with a phantom flash suppressor since these pictures were taken.

You can spot the difference between the phantom compensator/flash hider and flash suppressor because the comp/hider has six slots and six sharp points, and the suppressor has four slots and four serrated blades.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 02-23-2014 at 08:04 PM.