Thread: Hog hunting with monkeys?

Hog hunting with monkeys?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Holy cow that is amazing. Strangely, I feel sorry for the hog. I saw one near Virgin Falls in Tennessee. It was way bigger than those. Ever since I learned pigs have the mentality of a dog, I grew a soft spot for them. I still eat pork, mind you, but I feel different about it now.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I love how the music is obviously supposed to appeal to Hispanics.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I don't care how they die, so long as they die. They're crop-destroying vermin in Texas. Texas Parks and Wildlife estimates that we'd have to kill 70% of the feral hog population each year just to keep the numbers stable. You're allowed to hunt them from helicopter here now because they're such a nuisance.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    I don't care how they die, so long as they die. They're crop-destroying vermin in Texas. Texas Parks and Wildlife estimates that we'd have to kill 70% of the feral hog population each year just to keep the numbers stable. You're allowed to hunt them from helicopter here now because they're such a nuisance.

Doesn't seem to be very efficient. Seems he had to get pretty close to hit the hogs and then it took a bunch of ammo. I saw him change out 3 mags to shoot 3 hogs out of 5 he chased.

My BIL has land in Oklahoma. He told me that if he starts to see hogs on his land he will give me a call. Hasn't happened yet, but I keep hoping!
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 02-22-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Finished the video
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well that was entertaining. If I was to go the hog hunting route I'd do it the Night Vision and suppressed weapon route. Probably 300 blackout chambered rifle with 220 to 240 gr. bullets. That should get the job done and not spook the hogs too much.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-22-2014 at 10:19 AM.

That wasn't one of the better vids. There are some where better shooters are knocking down 10-12 at a time without even reloading. The aviation companies are signing contracts with land owners that allows them to take clients (who are paying up to $1,000/hour) over their land on these hunts. The land owner isn't even being paid. He's just getting his hogs eradicated for free. Trust me, it's on my bucket list.

I have hunted all kinds of game with Monkeys. Many of the Monkeys were family members.

What was the point of having the monkeys jump on the backs of the wild boars? To make them exhausted? Not sure. In the beginning it looked like "monkey HOG RACING".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What was the point of having the monkeys jump on the backs of the wild boars? To make them exhausted? Not sure. In the beginning it looked like "monkey HOG RACING".
    I think that Is the point, wear them down so they get tired and then they can net them.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I thought it was a less expensive way to have a rodeo. Instead of broncs and bulls you have wild pigs, instead of cowboys you have monkeys, and for payment all you need is some bananas and mangos.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

The old trainer at work has a video of him taking down 12 hogs in 60 seconds from the passenger seat of a moving dune buggy with an AR using .223. Used 20 rounds.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".