Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunsneters, are you ready?

Back some 40 years ago there was a lot of mine exploration in the Amazon Basin. You could not buy a chicken from a farmer with money or gold. But!! If you had a box of .44-40 WCF Ctgs. 3 rounds would buy a cooked chicken and a bottle of wine. In America around that time the John Birchers were hoarding and building underground bunkers. They claimed Russian Troops would take over the Nation any-day.
    I expect most of them passed away without ever seeing a Russian. Their Bunkers filled with water and rats. The hoarded food was sold at garage sales by their grand children.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nobody can predict the future or how events will unfold. Shit will eventually hit the fan. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen. Better to have something you never use than need it and not own it.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just to address some things brought up in this thread. First, I realize that there have been many "boys crying wolf" for some time now. But they were fixating on isolated problems that by themselves wouldn't bring the whole system down. Times have changed...

I'm not saying to run for the hills lol. I'm just saying that given the current FACTS, any number of negative events could push the dominoes over.

And it's a prudent man that makes some common-sense preparations.

All of my personal preps are such that they're positive regardless of what happens.

I have food stores, etc. but they're all items that I tap into on a weekly basis and rotate for the most part. Some are long-term storage items that last 20 years and I leave them be. But none of it will be a "loss" regardless.

My guns and ammo double as my hobby and all retain value and even appreciate as time goes by. So, nothing lost there if we somehow manage to dodge the bullet.

I live in the country on an acreage - something I always wanted to do anyway and I enjoy living here. I do have it for sale and will downsize to a smaller acreage and small house - that I can pay-off in 5 years. That too suits a dual purpose for me - I want to retire someday and have some savings! But it'd also be a very good move if the SHTF...

I bought a small motorcycle - this will be a great, economical transport in bad times but is also very enjoyable to ride right now and is good for my "soul"

I'm investing in some silver. Silver appreciates over time and is a decent investment. You can make more with targeted stock trading for sure but silver is more of a hedge or "insurance" if you will. Again - not something you put everything into. And it's good regardless of what transpires.

You need to put things into perspective IMHO.

I'm just encouraging everyone to consider where we are right now - do your own research and make what preps you can - that make sense to you.

If I didn't give a rat's butt about you guys, I wouldn't bother typing all of this crap
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I'm getting more and more of the opinion that the moment of truth is getting close. One thing I realize that's missing here is 12 volt lights for nighttime use. Gonna use car batteries to handle the occasional lighting at night and will recharge 'em with a solar panel during the day. Packs of fresh flashlight batteries are a must, as well as slow burning candles and matches.

OSOK, thank you for your concern, along with your words of advice!

Quote Originally Posted by az_paul View Post
    I'm getting more and more of the opinion that the moment of truth is getting close. One thing I realize that's missing here is 12 volt lights for nighttime use. Gonna use car batteries to handle the occasional lighting at night and will recharge 'em with a solar panel during the day. Packs of fresh flashlight batteries are a must, as well as slow burning candles and matches.

OSOK, thank you for your concern, along with your words of advice!
    Car batteries aren't a good idea, they are designed for high initial power, then to be recharged immediately. Deep cycle batteries would be what you need, (Like an electric golf cart battery.) Something designed to be run down more. Discharging a car battery too far starts killing its battery life.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

This is "guns net" right. I'm pretty sure I have the means to get what I need, I know I have the mental ability. no worries.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    This is "guns net" right. I'm pretty sure I have the means to get what I need, I know I have the mental ability. no worries.
    Land piracy is totally unrespectable.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

If you think the world economy is going to crash why worry? If the banks and mediums of exchange are gone so will the Bureaucracy which needs taxes dollars to function. That will make land deeds and titles useless. Why worry about paying off loans?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Land piracy is totally unrespectable.
    Russia's doing it.... And when it comes to survival anything goes if push comes to shove.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    If you think the world economy is going to crash why worry? If the banks and mediums of exchange are gone so will the Bureaucracy which needs taxes dollars to function. That will make land deeds and titles useless. Why worry about paying off loans?
    I may be wrong, but I don't think it will get to that point. No, much more likely, we'll see a deep depression but the basic governmental and legal structure will stay in place.

If the banks are shut down though, obviously, we won't be able to pay any bills. But once we get through the initial shock, they'll be back up and eventually, somebody will come for their money.

That's why I suggest investing in something that's likely to shoot up on value like silver. Don't buy silver instead of beans and bullets of course, but as a financial prep...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I tend to agree with you about the slow "slide" thing.

8 years of Obama, soon to be followed by 8 years of Clinton Part II. If that scenario plays out we will be living in "interesting times", as the old Chinese adage goes. I'm still not building a bunker & buying 5 years worth of canned tuna yet, though.
    We have been sliding since 1978, sure we have had some good years in those times but generally we have been sliding slowly.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Russia's doing it.... And when it comes to survival anything goes if push comes to shove.
    I don't want to be like the Russians, and sure, you'll do "anything" if your an animal. I'd rather die with my soul intact.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I don't want to be like the Russians, and sure, you'll do "anything" if your an animal. I'd rather die with my soul intact.
    Well said. I'd rather die a Christian than live as a heathen.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Do you have the mental ability to absorb a .270 soft point to the sternum as well? I suspect that will be the fate of many who have such plans.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Do you have the mental ability to absorb a .270 soft point to the sternum as well? I suspect that will be the fate of many who have such plans.
    Excellent point. The guy you least suspect will end your depredations.

A few years back there was an elementary school teacher that lived at the end of my block. I had met the guy several times, but didn't really know him.

He just looked like my preconceived notions of a "milquetoast" male school teacher. When my teenage son started dating his daughter, I had a few beers with him at a neighborhood BBQ one night. I found out he was a Naval Academy graduate, and had served 6 years in the Marine Corp as an infantry officer. You really wouldn't want to try to target his family.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

I can't imagine pirates would live very long. Maybe in disarmed areas of the country but certainly not in well armed areas. When I go for runs in my neighborhood I take note of all the cars with military stickers and license plates or pro gun stickers. There's a lot of us and a band of thieves roaming around like post katrina NOLA would get picked off real quick.

I think you all missed the point, and invented your own visions or versions of what you thought I was thinking, total misinterpretation and jumping to conclusions then judgment. Well just to clarify you were wrong. I wish I could go into the mind reading business but I can't because I'm not a mind reader. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12