Thread: Half assed WASR refinish.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Half assed WASR refinish.

I got sick of looking at unfinished front hand guards and a heavily lacquered butt stock. Not to mention how the guards were so much lighter than the butt stock. So I decided to do a quick and dirty finish on it. Just a couple passes with Minwax Ebony stain to better match the butt stock. Almost perfectly matched, but the top hand guard could've used another coat. I'll fix that... Maybe. I was going to use a lacquer on the hand guards... But Minwax Polyurethane was handy. So I did one coat, then lightly sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper upon drying. Cleaned the dust off, and applied another coat. And... Bingo. Still looks a little tacky, but I'm putting lipstick on a pitbull here. Figure any finish is better than none. Should keep my wood from warping when I get back to muggy Ohio summers.

"Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well you must of used flash as the handguard and gas tube wood is whited out from glare. What I can see looks good.

Flash was off. The glare is from the light overhead.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Take it outside for a pic in the sunlight.

And rent a carpet cleaner already.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Looks nice.
    I have a habit of painting the pistol grips black, makes it look more evil.
    And the ink dipped butt stock....what is that for anyway? It takes forever the sand that crap off.
    Yours look good though, I like that original look.

good enough.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

^My sentiments exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    And rent a carpet cleaner already.
    The carpet is the same as was in the house when we moved in. My wife shampooed it a hundred times and it never looks any better. Our options are to replace it, or say fuck it. Seeing how we're moving in a couple months, I'm going with option 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Looks nice.
    I have a habit of painting the pistol grips black, makes it look more evil.
    And the ink dipped butt stock....what is that for anyway? It takes forever the sand that crap off.
    Yours look good though, I like that original look.
    If I wanted a black PG I'd have left the Tapco one on it. But I like the look and feel of the Bakelite better personally. The paint dipped butt stock... I have heard that all the Romanian semi-auto training rifles came with it. I dunno for sure. I like it, but mine is flaking off. I may refinish the butt stock and do a new black stripe for shits and giggles if I get bored.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 02-28-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I agree that bakelite grips rock. I have seen some polished ones that really shine.

I think the paint on the stock is so the semi-auto rifles could be identified more easily. The Romanian "G" marked rifles were for their equivilant of the national guard and were limited to semi-auto only and 7.62x39. Still didn't stop them from capturing and hanging their communist dictator.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

^ Good to know. I thought the semi auto's were just used for training, not National Guardsmen. Now that I know this the black stripe seems out of place on a WASR. lol