Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I had a KB today!

Well I pulled the bullets out of the last ~25 rounds from that batch. The charges all weighed between 4.9 and 5.1 grains. Doesn't mean it wasn't a double charge but I am hoping if it was it is a one off!

If it was a bad piece of brass I hope I never find another one, that sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Well I pulled the bullets out of the last ~25 rounds from that batch. The charges all weighed between 4.9 and 5.1 grains. Doesn't mean it wasn't a double charge but I am hoping if it was it is a one off!

If it was a bad piece of brass I hope I never find another one, that sucked.
    Do you shoot .45acp out of a glock ? I have found that most brass shot from factory glocks has glock brass bulge. Even though some think its only .40cal I have found it happens in other calibers. FL sizing die can help.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Do you shoot .45acp out of a glock ? I have found that most brass shot from factory glocks has glock brass bulge. Even though some think its only .40cal I have found it happens in other calibers. FL sizing die can help.
    I don't own a glock but I do pick up a lot of brass at the range. It was a winchester case which I know is very common but a lot of my brass is winchester so odds are it was one of mine. If it was it was probably only fired a couple of times.

I don't own a glock but I do pick up a lot of brass at the range. It was a winchester case which I know is very common but a lot of my brass is winchester so odds are it was one of mine. If it was it was probably only fired a couple of times.
    Check your brass while you load it, you can feel it some times but cant see it. I just toss it unless its .40 then I run it through this http://www.redding-reloading.com/new...ase-sizing-die .

https://www.google.com/search?q=gloc...ml%3B600%3B486

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I am by no means an expert and this is just my opinion, but I think your bullets moved back during recoil and caused high pressure.
    Did you check the crimp on any of the unfired rounds?

You've got guts for sharing this with all of us. Just remember failures are gonna happen. This helps us all to learn and be more cautious.

Glad you're okay and thank you...
    I now think that this is the most likely scenario. I was reloading some more rounds this weekend and pushed a few against my work bench. I was able to push the bullet into the case relatively easy on a couple of them. I think that there may be some brass on the shorter side or thinner side which is not gripping the bullet firmly at the amount I was crimping. Well this got me a little scared so I re-crimped about 1200 of my reloads to .465 at the case mouth. I was crimping to .470. This seems to hold the bullet much more firmly. What kinda irks me is I haven't read a good description of what constitutes an appropriate crimp in any of my reloading manuals. They kind of gloss over the subject. As much as that KB sucked I'd rather crimp on the heavy side from now on. A round must have caught the feedramp at an off angle and got pushed into the case.

Well a bit of an update for you guys. I had been having occasional FTFs with this pistol where the round would partially seat in the chamber and get stuck, the slide would sometimes close fully when I released that mag. It usually felt too stuck to rack the slide with the mag in. A couple of weeks ago I took it out to the range and it felt like it was having trouble feeding. I could feel the slide struggling to close when it was cycling. about halfway through my shooting session I had an FTF as I described when when I cleared the round the bullet was pushed back into the case considerable. When I got it home I could see marks on the feed ramp where the bullets where hitting. I think they were hitting the feed ramp at an off angle and entering the chamber too steep and getting jammed between the chamber and extractor. I picked up some different mags (Chip McCormick power mags) and used those at my last match. It seemed to feed much better and I didn't have any malfunctions. I think my gun may just not like the mags I was using. The feed lip geometry is different between the Wilson Combats and the CMC power mags.

I am pretty certain that the KB as caused by a round not feeding right and getting pushed back into the case.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Good on you for continuing to look for the problem till a reasonable one was found. Glad it is easy to fix.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Caliber is .45 acp, brass was winchester, probably from white box as I shoot a lot of that. Load is 5.0gr of bullseye. I will heed your advice on the powder and switch to something that requires more volume.
    Bullseye does two bad things in reduced target loads.

#1 It can shift to the front of the cartridge leaving an air gap.
    #2 It can level in the cartridge exposing the primer hole to an air gap above the powder.

In both situations, the entire powder charge ignites all at the same time instead of a progressive burn like it is supposed to do. This rapid burn causes very high case pressures and results in a Kaboom.

As I remember, in larger cases when using reduced loads, the old timers used a piece of wadding on top of the powder to hold it in place. I seem to remember .357 and .45ACP/LC wads being sold for that purpose back thirty years ago. I also remember rolled paper and cotton being used. The wads hold the powder in place so you do get a progressive burn every time.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 05-18-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Bullseye, fast burning and small charges so people get a lot of shots per pound making it attractive for plinker ammo. OTOH it is very easy to double charge it and have no clue. The position in the case thing makes me go meah ... super low possibility iMO. I've probably shot 10,000 rounds of 185 gr. and 200 gr. cast semi-wadcutter .45 ACP bullets since 1973 when I got my first 1911 handgun. I've never had a case blow out. Some of my cases have been loaded 50 times each possibly, I found myself picking up the brass and reloading those first resulting in some boxes of ammo I'd loaded to this day never having been shot.

BTW, never had to trim a .45 acp case for OAL and never had a failure to chamber as a result. The one thing I have always done is run a heavy crimp. I've had a couple rounds get jammed back in the case and not knowing the dogma of a bullet back in the case causes high pressures (doubt it) fired just fine, case didn't bulge, split or Ka-boom.

Honestly I've heard of Winchester brass failing in other calibers, seems Winchester doesn't make the best brass on the market (2000 year and forward) despite the Name Reputation. I've got 10's of thousands of Winchester and Remington cases in multiple calibers, never had one of them blow up, out or head separate. Have had case mouths crack on some of the .45 acp brass that has been reloaded a lot. Anneal the case mouths and then no cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Bullseye, fast burning and small charges so people get a lot of shots per pound making it attractive for plinker ammo. OTOH it is very easy to double charge it and have no clue. The position in the case thing makes me go meah ... super low possibility iMO. I've probably shot 10,000 rounds of 185 gr. and 200 gr. cast semi-wadcutter .45 ACP bullets since 1973 when I got my first 1911 handgun. I've never had a case blow out. Some of my cases have been loaded 50 times each possibly, I found myself picking up the brass and reloading those first resulting in some boxes of ammo I'd loaded to this day never having been shot.

BTW, never had to trim a .45 acp case for OAL and never had a failure to chamber as a result. The one thing I have always done is run a heavy crimp. I've had a couple rounds get jammed back in the case and not knowing the dogma of a bullet back in the case causes high pressures (doubt it) fired just fine, case didn't bulge, split or Ka-boom.

Honestly I've heard of Winchester brass failing in other calibers, seems Winchester doesn't make the best brass on the market (2000 year and forward) despite the Name Reputation. I've got 10's of thousands of Winchester and Remington cases in multiple calibers, never had one of them blow up, out or head separate. Have had case mouths crack on some of the .45 acp brass that has been reloaded a lot. Anneal the case mouths and then no cracking.
    Back 10-15 years ago Winchester had some money issues and their components seemed to go down hill.

I never use winchester components

i just buy starline/hornady now if I need new brass .

I've had close to 25 case failures During initial sizing/loading on various rifle calibers with new in bag winchester brass.

no issues with their .303 brass but , 25-06, 30-06 , 6.5x55, and even some 45-70 split like wet toilet paper with ease first time they went into the sizer.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i just buy starline/hornady now if I need new brass .

I've had close to 25 case failures During initial sizing/loading on various rifle calibers with new in bag winchester brass.

no issues with their .303 brass but , 25-06, 30-06 , 6.5x55, and even some 45-70 split like wet toilet paper with ease first time they went into the sizer.
    look at the base of their .224 55gr fmj then compare it to Hornady 55gr fmj...

Wouldnt know..

I only ever buy hornady bullets unless it's bulk 9mm .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Looks to me like your feed ramp got polished too far forward and got past the web area of the case. Classic un supported case wall failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12