Thread: Canadian Gun Confiscation Begins. Again BY thetruthaboutguns

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Canadian Gun Confiscation Begins. Again BY thetruthaboutguns

By Matt in FL on March 4, 2014

Canada's done the heavy lifting on gun control. Apparently. (courtesy teenymanolo.com)

by Andrew C.

I live in the frozen wasteland of Canada and get my news via the Morse code receiver in my igloo. Hearing furious beeping, I slid inside from the backyard curling rink to find myself facing the news that our gun control regime has given up the pretense of respecting civilian gun ownership and began moving guns from legal ownership status to prohibition. Before I explain any more, it’s important to understand the mess of our gun laws to some degree so here’s a quick primer. Be warned, none of it makes any sense . . .

In Canada, all private firearm ownership is illegal. You are granted the privilege to own guns by possession of a license. The licensing scheme has three major classes–Unrestricted, Restricted, and various flavours of Prohibited (all arbitrary and unfair, primarily based on what you owned when the government passed sweeping ineffective gun control legislation).

We have three major classifications of firearms that reflect the licensing. “Unrestricted” firearms may be used anywhere the law does not prohibit their use (like the bush, for hunting). “Restricted” firearms may only be used at designated ranges, and require onerous paperwork to posses and transport, all of which has no proven public safety benefit but does create a pretty decent employment program for paper-pushers (this includes all handguns and arbitrarily-chosen rifles, including all AR variants). “Prohibited” firearms are effectively disallowed from being used, with the arbitrary exception of some classes of firearms (these include the AK family and all kinds of other ‘scary’ stuff).

All this gun control gibberish is overseen by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), popularized worldwide by Brendan Fraiser and, less positively, for killing restrained suspects in custody, sexually assaulting female employees, framing farmers for terrorism, and breaking-and-entering private residences to steal guns from the citizenry during a natural disaster. To read up on their history, please see this enlightening Wikipedia page.

The RCMP has repeatedly exhibited hostility towards civilian firearm ownership but has somehow remained in control of it in Canada. On February 26th, they began advancing a new phase of their goal of prohibiting firearms in Canada by re-classifying a line of guns (the Swiss Arms family) that were previously Unrestricted or Restricted, and made them Prohibited.

For those following along despite the convoluted web of senseless rules, police corruption and maple syrup, this is sort of analogous to the NY SAFE Act that turns previously-allowed property into instant contraband. The Swiss Arms rifles have been in circulation in Canada for ten years and have NEVER been used in the commission of a crime nationwide.

The government is not planning to pay out any of our brightly-coloured rainbow money to compensate owners during confiscation. There has been talk of reversing this stance, which would only mean wasting multiple millions of dollars of taxpayer money on the RCMP’s inability to classify previously-purchased firearms appropriately.

But wait, it gets better!

Not content to sit back on their wave of epic accomplishments in the name of public safety, late on Feb. 28th we Canucks are learning that a subset of CZ 858 rifles are now being moved to Prohibited status as well. The details are still coming out on this one, but one thing is clear: these rifles are common and popular, much more than the Swiss Arms family ever was. This means the RCMP is dropping their previous program of slowly confiscating obscure firearms to maintain a low profile.

This is effectively a frontal assault on the gun-owning public of Canada. In a distinctly un-Canadian fashion, they haven’t even said “sorry” while stating they were planning to steal our property.

I am writing this for two reasons:

1) Hoping any Canadian who reads your blog sees this. The time for action is now if you own any firearm. You WILL lose that privilege (in Canada our government has decided that they know better than to permit us the natural right of self-defense, and ownership of arms is a privileged) if Canadians do not fight back against this NOW. To learn more on what you can do, please visit the National Fireams Association and Canadian Shooting Sports Association‘s websites. Join both groups.

2) To let gun owners around the world know the statist agenda of civilian disarmament is being pushed forward everywhere. Those who are in worse condition than Canada will likely recognize what I am describing as having happened where they live; those better off, heed warning. Similar events will come to you if you let them. Stay vigilant!

Thanks and sorry,

~ Andy, from America’s (not-disarmed-without-a-fight) Hat

[NB: It doesn't look like he's been around here for a few months, but Canadian reader Marty penned a "view to America's future" just a bit over a year ago. In it, he mentions his ownership of a now-Prohibited Swiss Arms CQB rifle. We wish Marty the best. -Ed.]

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...n/#more-300903
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 03-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Really a sad situation, but once it gets that far, what do you do? It is so easy to say "from my cold dead hands" but if the civilians in red come to your door, resistance is futile.

We in the states are having similar laws getting passed. I won't touch commiefornia, but Connecticut has made news about turning honest people into felons at the stroke of a pen, all because they are exercising their rights per a written federal law that people of Canada do not have.

I wish I had an answer.

I want to thank you for writing that in a way that it was an easy read. I have a bit of dyslexia and the way some people write their stories, I am lucky to be able to read the first line before it becomes a jumbled mess. Nice to be able to read a long article and not have to physically highlight it line by line to figure out where I am reading.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Use em or loose em is all I have to say on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Use em or loose em is all I have to say on the subject.
    I have been putting out a dozen hand written letters per day to members of parliament. There is a movement right now to bury them in mail regarding the current situation. For the next 18 months left before the next election we have a pro gun party in control. We need to convince them to do something before the pothead liberal Trudeau jr. takes the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I want to thank you for writing that
    nah i didnt write it, it is an article from thetruthaboutguns.com

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    nah i didnt write it, it is an article from thetruthaboutguns.com
    I fixed the link at the bottom of your original post.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Canadian Gun Confiscation Begins. Again BY thetruthaboutguns

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    I fixed the link at the bottom of your original post.

Steve
    Thanks!