Thread: Mystery Stock

Mystery Stock

I purchased a wooden thumbhole "Dragonuv" style stock from gun broker for my Norinco NHM-91, fits good and looks good. I thought it might be a custom jober, but I removed the butplate and the initials "IW" are marked on it. Does Ironwood mark their stocks? Just curious if it's an old design. No big deal, just seen that and got to thinking.

kevs guns 001.jpg
    Last edited by Kevlar; 03-08-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Interesting stock, but I have no idea...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I just went over Ironwood Designs web page. They show no thumbhole stocks. If it is theirs, perhaps it is an older product that they discontinued. Why don't you give them a call.
    E-mail: Matt@Ironwooddesigns.com

Office Phone: (408) 269-7102

Best time to get us in the office, is between 5-7 PM Pacific

Time Mon-Thurs, ( We are in California ).

I shot them an email, it's a long shot, just curious. I suppose it could be an "MI" instead of an "IW" if you flip it around. Anyway it fits the gun and after some refinishing she'll look nice.

kevs guns 001.jpg
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Looks like that are making SVD stock sets. Perhaps this is a prototype or something that ended up in the "woodpile" they have from time to time where they sell one offs, seconds, blems, etc?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Just got a response from Matt at Ironwood:

"That was indeed, one of our very old interpretations of the Dragunov stock for std. stamped receiver AKs.Probably from the mid 90s, when we were operating manually run carving machines. Cool to see one stil alive.Don't know how many I made back then, but it was probably only a handful."

Thats awesome! Glad I asked, thanks for the advice and link Schuetzenman.
    Last edited by Kevlar; 03-09-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Plato

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice find! Also nice to have that response from Matt. I suggest you keep the email in a safe place since it validates your fairly rare stock.

For sure. Well worth the $ and nice to know the history behind it.
    Plato