Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were hungry,would you eat it?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

If you were hungry,would you eat it?

I grew up hunting,fishing,and raising my own animals and growing my own food.I have eaten just about anything that has walked,crawled,swam,and slithered in our country.Alligator on down the alphabet list.

My girlfriend is a city girl,her father,uncles,and other male family members were hunters, but not out of necessity.The wildest thing she has ever eaten was white tail deer.

Ever since her and I have hooked up,I have introduced her to various other protein sources.The most recent experience for her was Alligator,crawfish,and quail.I'm heading down to the lease for some doves this weekend.She is a bit apprehensive about eating dove.I have tried to assure her,the way I plan to cook it she will enjoy it.

She looks at various animals as cute and cuddly and does not think she could eat rabbits,squirrels,or goat and lamb.

She did say if she was hungry enough she would eat it.Wait until I bring home a raccoon or opossum for dinner.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

If it's fresh kill and not some carrion eater or something sure, if I was hungry.

And I hope you have better luck with the doves than I've had thus far. 4 attempts, 3 birds and over 20 shells used. Sheesh.

I don't have any problem eating something with a face.... its all about the taste. I think I may actually bag a squirrel in the back yard this weekend and give it a try.

How do you like to prepare squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    If it's fresh kill and not some carrion eater or something sure, if I was hungry.

And I hope you have better luck with the doves than I've had thus far. 4 attempts, 3 birds and over 20 shells used. Sheesh.
    No carrion eaters for me.

I'm hoping to at least get my limit twice.Don't need more than a two day hunt.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I used to have a brother-in-law that ate nothing but meat. Not a good diet. However, he thought I was uncivilized because I hunt. I tried to explain to him that the meat he ate used to be alive and that at least I knew how my meat was killed and processed, but he could not (or would not) understand. I think if you are going to eat meat, then at least once you need to have killed and dressed an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I don't have any problem eating something with a face.... its all about the taste. I think I may actually bag a squirrel in the back yard this weekend and give it a try.

I have had tree rat many ways,the best was marinaded and open fire cooking.You can roast them,boil them,fry,but open fire was my preferred way.

The easiest way, is to soak it in either salt water or milk in the fridge over nite. Then just fry it like you would chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    No carrion eaters for me.

I'm hoping to at least get my limit twice.Don't need more than a two day hunt.
    I need to hit the skeet range.

I need to hit the skeet range.
    I'm not that great shooting clays,but live birds I do very well with.I have no idea why it is that way.

I'm not that great shooting clays,but live birds I do very well with.I have no idea why it is that way.
    I'm not real hot at either. But I think one could help the other.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Ever since her and I have hooked up,I have introduced her to various other protein sources.

Quote Originally Posted by a-kmanator View Post
    Yeah I laughed at that while I was typing it.I'm glad someone noticed my humor.

I'm not real hot at either. But I think one could help the other.
    I try to go practice but the range I go to does not have the best shotgun setup.Too close to other shooters and most of them flash the muzzle far too often for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I used to have a brother-in-law that ate nothing but meat. Not a good diet. However, he thought I was uncivilized because I hunt. I tried to explain to him that the meat he ate used to be alive and that at least I knew how my meat was killed and processed, but he could not (or would not) understand. I think if you are going to eat meat, then at least once you need to have killed and dressed an animal.
    Killed and dressed my first wild hog about two months ago.

There's a lot of work between free range pig and chops on the the plate!

But that meat is delicious, and I apreciate every single bite!

I'll do it again when my frezer runs low.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Killed and dressed my first wild hog about two months ago.

There's a lot of work between free range pig and chops on the the plate!

But that meat is delicious, and I apreciate every single bite!

I'll do it again when my frezer runs low.
    I have over 200 lbs of venison harvested last year,I'm down to about 60lbs of ground meat and sausage.Deer season is coming up and I'm ready to go.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

IMHO, if we are to have mandated curricula in our schools (which I DO NOT believe in) we should mandate that every child should have to kill, prepare and eat a live animal in order to better understand their place in the world.

They can play "the circle of life" disney song if they like while the class is underway
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    They can play "the circle of life" disney song if they like while the class is underway

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    IMHO, if we are to have mandated curricula in our schools (which I DO NOT believe in) we should mandate that every child should have to kill, prepare and eat a live animal in order to better understand their place in the world.

First children, never cut toward yourselves or others.

Next, make your disembowelment cut starting at the genitalia.

Honestly, I bet children used to learn this and being in the same room with a real frontiersperson would probably make most people from this time cry.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    First children, never cut toward yourselves or others.

Next, make your disembowelment cut starting at the genitalia.

Honestly, I bet children used to learn this and being in the same room with a real frontiersperson would probably make most people from this time cry.
    For sure!

I'll bet that it you weren't worth much of anything if you didn't know this stuff up until @ 150 years ago.

But pre-industrial revolution, I imagine every man woman and child that wasn't royalty had to learn to process their own food stuffs.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Slow roast over campfire would be best. Keep your favorite sauce on hand and apply when needed.

Pan frying would be the next best choice. Use some virgin olive oil and add some onion.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

When shooting birds or clays, I use the "there it is" method... grand daddy told me to think of the shotgun as an extention of your arm... just as you would use your arm and finger to point at a bird or clay in the air... "there it is".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast