Thread: Orlite Magazine Rib Modification

Orlite Magazine Rib Modification

Most folks know that Orlite mags will not fit the new spec AR mag wells. The rib on the Orlite mag was placed for the old style AR mag well that did not have the flared and beveled section that aids in mag insertion. Most sellers of Orlite mags remove this rib after importation. But doing that also removes the stopper that keeps the mag from being over inserted into the mag well, creating all sorts of problems. Consequently, the Orlite mag has gotten a rather bad reputation.

However! If you call the mail order retailers when they get some of these diamonds in the rough, you can often have them shipped to you with the rib intact. Now if you are careful, and have a steady hand, you can modify the rib to work as intended with modern AR receivers. You will need to take a bit off the rear, and taper down on the forward third taking more and more off.

Below is a picture of a factory Orlite, and one that I have modified to work. Notice that the rib is (mostly) still there. The modified mag cannot be over inserted into the mag well; and the remaining rib acts as a seal, keeping crud from intruding into the mag well. I'm rather proud of myself.

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

What's the big deal about Orlite mags? I know zip about them. This is actually the first I've heard of them.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    What's the big deal about Orlite mags? I know zip about them. This is actually the first I've heard of them.
    Israeli made they were possibly the first polymer mag for the M16. They have a metal mesh, like a screen door, inside under the polymer. IMO if you can get them for under $9 bucks each they are worth getting. If more, just get the Magupl P mags.

They used to be $3 .. $2 if you bought 20 or more at most spots, still full of sand too.

Want to play a cruel game, have someone insert one into their FS2000.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

They are CRAP with a capital shitty.
    Just ask ANy Canadian military guy.

You use them a few times and they crack, then the feed lips break.....
    Don't even say the word Orlite to shooter up there.

BISHOP

OOPS NEVERMIND!!!!!

I just took I look at what I have and I was talking about Canadian THERMOLD mags. The mags I have are completely different, but they do have the same rib. It was the rib I saw and thought of the mags I have.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 03-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.