Thread: Review-New Bear Creek Arsenal AR15

Review-New Bear Creek Arsenal AR15

Some of you may or may not have been aware of the new rifle that was offered at an introductory special price of $499 manufactured by Bear Creek Arsenal and retailed through Classic Firearms. The pricing ended 3/31 and they are now $569 (still a bargain) but out of stock. A friend and I each bit on this deal despite some concerns I had over anticipated quality of the rifle. I don't think I could build one this inexpensively. After shipping and transfer I was still at around $550. The rifle came in a hard case with 1 Tapco magazine. It has an M4 contour non-chrome lined barrel wylde chamber 1:9, flat top upper, commercial buffer tube and 6 position stock (the castle nut is not staked). The bolt carrier is nicely machined, the gas key is staked properly. The upper has m4 feed ramps cut. My initial visual inspection was very satisfactory. I was pleasantly surprised. I cleaned it up and lubed with Miltec-1. I replaced the fat handguards with slim ones, attached an ARMS #40L BUIS and a Vortex Strikefire. Yesterday we took both rifles out for sight in and function testing. We ran over 500 rounds between the two rifles. We had Remington 55 gr. .223, some Lake City 62 gr. 5.56 green tips, and some steel case russian (maybe brown bear). All ran smooth as butter. No failures of any kind. The guns are accurate and so far reliable. My early impression is very favorable. For a nickel you really can't go wrong.
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-...opw-magandcase

Last edited by TEN-32; 04-04-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

good review and I am glad this has worked out for you. I haven't had a fresca in 30 yrs.
    used to love them.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    good review and I am glad this has worked out for you. I haven't had a fresca in 30 yrs.
    used to love them.
    Very refreshing. So was the fresca.

That is a good price. I think I paid more than that for my DPMS 10 years ago.

Nice stogie holder too. I have the same ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    That is a good price. I think I paid more than that for my DPMS 10 years ago.

Nice stogie holder too. I have the same ones.
    The audio feature has crapped out. I need to get a new pair that work. I used to be fun being able to hear the range officers talk...:-)

Electronic muffs are mandatory if you shoot in groups, just my opinion. My batteries seem to be dead every time I pull mine out even though I make double sure they're turned off before I put them away. Other than that, they work great. Might just have to remove the batteries every time I use them.

Oh, and all those times I forget that they're on top of my head before I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Oh, and all those times I forget that they're on top of my head before I pull the trigger.
    I HATE when that happens.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Damn, for that price I'd say you got a killer deal, even if it requires some minor tweaks/ fixes you can't beat that price!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thanks for the pics & review, Matt, that looks & sounds like a good deal. I've been toying with the idea just recently of picking up another AR to play around with. Maybe either a M16A1 or M4 clone...

Oh, and Fresca is one of the very few soft drinks I like, especially in hot weather. Carbonated grapefruit juice, mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Thanks for the pics & review, Matt, that looks & sounds like a good deal. I've been toying with the idea just recently of picking up another AR to play around with. Maybe either a M16A1 or M4 clone...
    Had it out yesterday for a few hundred more rounds. I'm still loving it, no failures. I put on a tactical charging handle latch and ordered a Hogue grip and a VLTOR end plate with a single point sling attachment. I continue to be amazed at the price point on this thing.

Matt- you thinking of a build or complete rifle? Palmetto has been running some killer deals. Go to their website and sign up for their emails.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice range report and nice to know that an inexpensive rifle isn't "cheap", just low price! Yep first thing I notice in that group picture is the stogie holder! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Had it out yesterday for a few hundred more rounds. I'm still loving it, no failures. I put on a tactical charging handle latch and ordered a Hogue grip and a VLTOR end plate with a single point sling attachment. I continue to be amazed at the price point on this thing.

Matt- you thinking of a build or complete rifle? Palmetto has been running some killer deals. Go to their website and sign up for their emails.
    Glad to hear it's running good for you. Yeah, Palmetto has some nice deals when it comes to EBRs. I'll check out their site.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Glad you like it, sounds good. On a related note, who did you like that Strikefire? I bought one a few months ago but have not been able to take it out to try it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Glad you like it, sounds good. On a related note, who did you like that Strikefire? I bought one a few months ago but have not been able to take it out to try it.
    I find it to be a good value dot sight. Works well and seems robust. No issues with mine for a couple years now.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats. I am smirking after reading all the "improvements" you are putting on it. Once you get an AR the accessorizing begins. Adult tinker toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Congrats. I am smirking after reading all the "improvements" you are putting on it. Once you get an AR the accessorizing begins. Adult tinker toys.
    I know...I really didn't "need" another one. And it really doesn't "need" a new grip. You know how it is.