Thread: AK Pmags

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

It's about time!
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't think these have the steel reinforcement.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The AK mags just don't seem to like the sharp mag retainer or mag well. I bought one to test it out and after one range trip its all gouged/scratched to hell, not that Im worried about scratches but there is only so much plastic there...

Originally Posted By abpt1:
    Originally Posted By Magpul:

The AK MOE mags are not inferior to the steel lined versions (the next release) in regards to function and general abuse. The difference is in extreme handling conditions the metal reinforced version will hold up better but the non reinforced version will be lower cost. Again different missions.

Coming out with the polymer mag first makes sense in manufacturing as adjusting geometry with a single injection mold makes more sense than adjusting both an injection mold and metal stamping die or other type of metal insert. Once the MOE AK magazine completed testing it was ready to be released and the magazine body geometry was fixed, allowing us to focus on the insert geometry without the body changing.

Oh while we have your attention, It seems like the The AK MOE doesn't really fit in to my RomyG or my AMD63 very well. This is do to the forward grip and the large base of the mag just FYI

This was a known issue during testing but only happened on a small sub set of AKs with the integrated wood vertical grip. It was decided that modification to the magazine for this compatibility was not wor
    th the compromises in the magazine design.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I don't think these have the steel reinforcement.
    They don't. Those are coming later.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I'm sure these mags function just fine, but until they master the steel inserts I'll be sticking to buying steel mags. And use my on hand Tapco mags for range use, as Magpul's current offering seems to be the exact same thing with a different external texturing pattern. Function will be pretty much identical I expect.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I acquired three standard capacity AK Pmags, loaded them to top. Took the mags and my M&M M10 to the range yesterday to get my red dot lined up. All three mags performed flawlessly.