Thread: MAK 90 what was it?

MAK 90 what was it?

Can anyone please tell me what my MAK 90 was before it was turned into a MAK 90.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It was an actual, authentic, real-life, Chinese AK-47 before it had to be neutered/butchered/gelded to make it "safe" for import into the US. In its original form it was a true baby killer, but now it won't kill any babies.... The Fed guaranteed that.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Most of the stamped receiver MAK-90s started life as the Norinco 56S. The ones will milled receivers started life as a Poly Tech Legend underfolder that weren't drilled for the folder mechanism.

Some stamped receiver MAK-90s started life as the Norinco 84S (.223/5..56x45).

Mine got the 5 U.S. parts to be 922 compliant, and then a synthetic "Dragunov stock."
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Welcome Wizzrd
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Please bear with me as I am new to this. Thank you all, glad to be in your company and thanks for the response. I purchased my milled MAK 90 a few months ago and was wondering if I were to deban it what type AK did it start out as. I have searched for info and have come to the same conclusion as imanaknut. I not sure if it should have spiker or a type 1 bayonet. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to. It is not a .223, it does have the slant cut, I bought it as is with IW furniture no thumbhole. No date preceding the serial#, with 396 in oval stamp and only MAK 90 with nothing after, might this be one from the 93' lot, or an early MAK.

Thanks for clarifying you have the milled version. As I stated, they started with an unfinished Poly Tech Legend underfolder receiver, before the folder holes were drilled. To meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, as if the double angle cut of the underfolder receiver wasn't enough, they drilled a round hole in the rear so that the standard milled butt-stock could not be used. Thankfully Ironwood Designs makes one specific to the milled MAK-90, but I have made a couple using scrap wood from Menards.

The 386 denotes the factory used by Poly Tech to build the rifles.

The Legend series was considered to be the closest thing to a true Kalashnikov Type 3 you could buy except in semi-auto only.

If you want to replace the neutered front sight and gas block, the Bulgarian parts are a very close fit. I installed them on my milled MAK-90 and only needed a little sanding to get them to slide on nicely.

Mine, with custom AK-nut stock set and Bulgarian front sight and gas blocks.

Don't feel bad, we were all new to this at one time.

beautiful! very nicely done. Mine looks exactly like that except I have the IW on it, minus the lugs, cleaning rod and tip. So what type of bayonet would it have?

I believe they are called Type1 bayos, they snap onto the front sight "fangs".

By the way, the muzzle is the correct diameter to be threaded to the standard AK thread of 14x1mm left hand.

While I am normally a purist, since this rifle already has a strange cut to the rear of the receiver, I decided that having Bulgarian parts on a Chinese rifle can be overlooked. Also the fact that the Chinese parts are impossible to find had a minor part in getting Bulgarian. Unlike the stamped Chinese receiver AKM which had a covered (hooped) front sight, the milled models had open sights protectors (dog eared as some call them).