Thread: New/Old Buck 110 "Federal"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up New/Old Buck 110 "Federal"

Here is the new Buck limited "Federal" 110. This is a retro model based on the original 110 made when Buck had it's factory on Federal Avenue in San Diego, CA. Like the original it has 440C steel, (in todays version it has the now famous BOS heat treat), macassar ebony scales and the flatter, hand finished frame. The blade is also slightly thinner than current 110 blades. It is even marked Buck in the horizontal position with the blade instead of across the blade at the base. Mine is #254 of 500.

I was expecting a pretty nice knife but this really exceeded my expectations. Not only is it superbly assembled but the retro features are really to my liking. It also comes with a USA made sheath the is a copy of the original. A very minimalist sheath compared to current production. It's gonna be really hard not to use this one as it just begs to cut something and the way it feels in the hand is unbelievably nice. Not many of these out there but if you love the Buck 110 like I do I think you will love this one even more.

Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-12-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Oh my goodness. What beautiful knife!

I love all the little details that differentiate this from the standard 110.

The super thinness is awesome. The unsharpened portion beneath the blade (ricasso?) has an interesting shape as well. And is the clip point "flared" or more pronounced on this one?

That sheath looks a lot nicer than the black made in Mexico sheaths they sell with most of them.

I made the mistake of carrying my dads hand me down 110 a few years ago when I was broke and needed a knife and had to go into my collection for a daily carry knife. Its only honest wear combined with poor sharpening skills but still I wish I had kept it NIB.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Thumbs up

I do think the blade profile is a little different then current models. The only thing I wish they'd have done different it to have gone with the very shallow nail nick like the original instead of keeping the newer, deeper nick. IMHO the shallow, old school nail nick makes the sweep of the clip point blade look even more pronounced. As I understand it since Buck no longer has the tooling from the original knife they pretty much had to do all 500 of these by hand.

I ended up paying about $165.00 for this. Online prices are running around $190.00. That's a pretty good chunk of change for a 110 Hunter but if you consider the limited production, the 440C BOS heat treated steel and the fact that you are buying a pretty much hand finished knife it's actually a pretty good deal.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I would totally buy one for that price if collectible knives fit into my budget right now.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That is a beautiful knife. I have always like the 110s.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I believe I bought my first 110 some time after boot camp in late 1978, early 79, (wish I still had it). Back then and really up until the last decade or so I really didn't think that much about the 110. I'd owned others since that first one abut all they were to me was a tool. Now, while they are still a tool I can and do rely on I have come to appreciate the model for the true work of art it is. The design in and of itself is simple yet robust. The materials used in it's manufacture run from the fairly mundane to nearly exotic if you consider the various custom offerings. If a person is looking for a rugged, reliable and economical knife that they can count on day in and day out then the Buck 110 fits that bill to a tee. On the flip side it has some many variations and mutations it is a collectors dream as well as nightmare since collecting them all is a never ending task.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

$? seems it hasn't come up
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    $? seems it hasn't come up
    I don't understand your question?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068