Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any purple martin fans here?

Anything to keep to the mosquito population down. They're like the liberals of the bug world. Blood sucking parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    You sure you aren't thinking of swallows?

Martin's are good to have around if you can get them
    Im talkking about blackbirds with a purplish head. Come around in big groups or will park in the same tree shitting it the same spot. They crawl under the door, through gaps in the overhang to nest behind a piece of tin in my barn. Shitting over everything in the barn and all over the cement. Thats the bird im thinkin of. I did a quick search, but maybe im thinkin something different. Like a small crow kinda. Plug one hole it finds another.

Swallows are cool. They eat the skeeters here and stay in the neighbors barn.
    Last edited by 00RedZX-6R; 04-15-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Yeah, those aren't purple martins. Those birds are scumbags. They used to kick all the other birds out of their nests around my yard. You have to make sure they can't fit in the birdhouses you hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    Im talkking about blackbirds with a purplish head. Come around in big groups or will park in the same tree shitting it the same spot. They crawl under the door, through gaps in the overhang to nest behind a piece of tin in my barn. Shitting over everything in the barn and all over the cement. Thats the bird im thinkin of. I did a quick search, but maybe im thinkin something different. Like a small crow kinda. Plug one hole it finds another.

Swallows are cool. They eat the skeeters here and stay in the neighbors barn.
    Ah, OK that sounds more like "The Common Grackle"

Got a lot of practice with my first pellet gun on those down here on the farm
    My Grandma didn't care much for those either
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Ah, OK that sounds more like "The Common Grackle"

Got a lot of practice with my first pellet gun on those down here on the farm
    My Grandma didn't care much for those either
    Yeah, grackles suck, they're the Democrats of the bird world.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Yeah, grackles suck, they're the Democrats of the bird world.
    My thoughts, exactly. They let the other birds work all day to build a nest and then they take it away.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    My thoughts, exactly. They let the other birds work all day to build a nest and then they take it away.
    I'm sure the grackle is LAQC's favorite bird.
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'm wanting some Martin Houses. The neighbors have them; both gourds and the condos. I have the room but just got enought trees down.

We've had bats since I moved in...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I had bat houses too. They need all the help they can get right now. They were pretty much wiped out in my area by some fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    Right on. I don't need to be loved. I will give you the sound of my pipe in your ear next time I pass you while flipping you the bird if I knew who you were.

I don't mind cardinals, robins, blue jays, ect. Them damn shit birds could go extinct and I would be a happy camper. All they are good for is shitting over everything.
    I think what you are talking about are Starlings. they are such a nuisance here in Ga that you can shoot them all year.

about the bike pipe flipping finger thing. the last person that did it to me, got scared real quick. when you are riding something that has the weight of a spare tire.........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I think what you are talking about are Starlings. they are such a nuisance here in Ga that you can shoot them all year.

about the bike pipe flipping finger thing. the last person that did it to me, got scared real quick. when you are riding something that has the weight of a spare tire.........
    I hope you have a wonderful day too

I definetlly was not thinking of purple Martins. Did a better google search, and those are definetlly different. The pic above is very similar to waht I am thinking, although the color shade is slightlly different. Mor purple color here.

I was wondering why you guys all seamed to like this bird. I was sitting here like WTF, why would anyone try and attracks those POS.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I have a purple martin house at my north camp but it is fastened to a pole that cannot be lowered. It needs to be cleaned out. I put up seed feeders and hummingbird feeders and really enjoy the birds. Grackles are a pain but it is fun to watch the males do their dance in the spring. Otherwise, they just shit all over the rest of the year......chris3

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I've learned that purple martins are dependent upon man for help with housing, but they eat skeeters like nothing else.

Well they've arrived. The first couple have begun flying in and out of their chosen dorm.

Hot damn, cool beans. see if you can get some pics.

be the heat..

Dude if only I could post pics. I will probably at some point pay for lessons on how to post pics. I can only get them to load onto facebook with my phone. I have never been able to use a laptop to get a pic on a site.

sorry. me too. at least we can be photo challenged together. BFF

be the heat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12