Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But,..........but,......... Peak Oil!?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

But,..........but,......... Peak Oil!?

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2014/04/15/r...el-since-1980/

We were supposed to be completely out of oil by now. But then all of the worlds coastal cities were supposed to be under water by now too.

You know if it weren't for lies, the left would have nothing to say.
    Returns June 3rd.

are you the fidel version of jefferson? Sorry for being totally off topic. There never was a peak oil by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    are you the fidel version of jefferson? Sorry for being totally off topic. There never was a peak oil by the way.
    Its a secret, or something.
    Returns June 3rd.

I can keep a secret too for a price. I want a dozen of your finest cigars deliverred to my front door. I can just savor the lithium rich nut flavoring................hummmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    I can keep a secret too for a price. I want a dozen of your finest cigars deliverred to my front door. I can just savor the lithium rich nut flavoring................hummmmmm
    They're in the mail. Yeah thats it....
    Returns June 3rd.

The cia paid for some study back in the day that said the world would be out of food by like 2004 or something. The same guy who did the study is today paid by farmers to predict future weather and crop prices.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

You are confusing "peak oil" with "oil depletion".

Peak oil can refer to a worldwide peak, a peak in a certain region, or even of a specific well. The theory itself is obvious, at some point a well's production will peak, after which production will drop off.

Producing more doesn't mean "peak oil" doesn't exist for a region, it simply means the peak has not yet been reached.

As to the man who advanced the term, yes his global predictions were premature. I believe he had it as peaking in 2005 or so. His predictions were done in the 1950's BTW, and he did accurately forecast the increases fairly well into the late 1960's, perhaps early 70's. But he had no way to account for the effect of new technologies that would increase production, and stated such in his research.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    You are confusing "peak oil" with "oil depletion".

Peak oil can refer to a worldwide peak, a peak in a certain region, or even of a specific well. The theory itself is obvious, at some point a well's production will peak, after which production will drop off.

Producing more doesn't mean "peak oil" doesn't exist for a region, it simply means the peak has not yet been reached.

As to the man who advanced the term, yes his global predictions were premature. I believe he had it as peaking in 2005 or so. His predictions were done in the 1950's BTW, and he did accurately forecast the increases fairly well into the late 1960's, perhaps early 70's. But he had no way to account for the effect of new technologies that would increase production, and stated such in his research.
    Here's a clue: we have no idea how much oil is on this planet.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Here's a clue: we have no idea how much oil is on this planet.
    Correct, sort of.... or what future technologies may be developed to allow us to get to more difficult deposits.

What we do have an idea of is the extent of the "fairly easy to get to oil". We can say within a reasonable percentage what individual "fields" likely hold.

And we can make predictions based on current production, proven reserves, and theoretical technologies being developed when "worldwide peak oil" may occur.

So far these predictions aren't extremely accurate, currently they range from "we already hit peak oil" to "production will peak in the next 20 years".

Nor is "peak" necessarily an instant in time, worldwide "peak" may look more like a plateau, possibly lasting for years.

Naturally during that time "peak" won't be a matter of all regions either, some places will peak earlier, some later.

Correct, sort of.... or what future technologies may be developed to allow us to get to more difficult deposits.

What we do have an idea of is the extent of the "fairly easy to get to oil". We can say within a reasonable percentage what individual "fields" likely hold.

And we can make predictions based on current production, proven reserves, and theoretical technologies being developed when "worldwide peak oil" may occur.

So far these predictions aren't extremely accurate, currently they range from "we already hit peak oil" to "production will peak in the next 20 years".

Nor is "peak" necessarily an instant in time, worldwide "peak" may look more like a plateau, possibly lasting for years.

Naturally during that time "peak" won't be a matter of all regions either, some places will peak earlier, some later.
    Do you have a point, or are you just mumbling to yourself.

Your attempt to refute what I said has failed, its just that you'll be the last person to realize it.

And so it goes...
    Returns June 3rd.

Do you have a point, or are you just mumbling to yourself.

Your attempt to refute what I said has failed, its just that you'll be the last person to realize it.

And so it goes...
    My point is that we don't know when worldwide peak oil will happen, or even if it already happened. All the link proves is that apparently Texas hasn't yet peaked, or is peaking just now.

A regional increase says little about a worldwide peak, thinking otherwise is using flawed logic.

My point is that we don't know when worldwide peak oil will happen, or even if it already happened. All the link proves is that apparently Texas hasn't yet peaked, or is peaking just now.

A regional increase says little about a worldwide peak, thinking otherwise is using flawed logic.
    For fucks sake, you're rambling on all over the place. I never said if we had or had not reached a "peak oil" milestone. You're also attempting, as you often do, to change the orientation of conversation. I have mistaken nothing, and there is no flaw in my logic. You're attempting to build a straw man, pin my name on it, then knock it over. We have no idea if oil supplies has peaked or not, because we have no idea how much oil is out there.
    Returns June 3rd.

So, I somehow misconstrued this....

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2014/04/15/r...el-since-1980/

We were supposed to be completely out of oil by now. But then all of the worlds coastal cities were supposed to be under water by now too.

You know if it weren't for lies, the left would have nothing to say.
    ...as having no relation to this ...

I never said if we had or had not reached a "peak oil" milestone
    Do you actually expect anyone to buy that?

No, of course there was no way you were suggesting that "peak oil" was some sort of myth or that we had or hadn't reached it...bullshit. It's rather obvious what you were trying to say.

If you blow me hard enough, I can make methane. Some need it others would kill the source.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

So, I somehow misconstrued this....

...as having no relation to this ...

Do you actually expect anyone to buy that?

No, of course there was no way you were suggesting that "peak oil" was some sort of myth or that we had or hadn't reached it...bullshit. It's rather obvious what you were trying to say.
    Actually, I was making a passing comment on all the "peak oil" hysteria thats out on the web.

But keep on making a fool of yourself, you're good at it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    If you blow me hard enough, I can make methane. Some need it others would kill the source.
    Careful, Kad will take you up on it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Actually, I was making a passing comment on all the "peak oil" hysteria thats out on the web.
    Got it, just a comment on peak oil "hysteria", but no comment whatsoever on whether or not the theory is valid, or whether we have already, or will reach it.

Just a completely unbiased and un-opinionated post, with a laughing turtle, and a mention that this has some connection to "leftist lies".

Whatever man, backpedal harder, maybe you'll get there eventually

Got it, just a comment on peak oil "hysteria", but no comment whatsoever on whether or not the theory is valid, or whether we have already, or will reach it.

Just a completely unbiased and un-opinionated post, with a laughing turtle, and a mention that this has some connection to "leftist lies".

As I've said at least twice you fucking moron, theres no way to know since we don't know how much is out there.

Now you should rant about global warming or something else you know dick about.
    Returns June 3rd.

Fact: The left has been pushing the peak oil meme for decades.
    Fact: They did so without knowing how much oil there really was, nor whether or what new technologies may give access to sources harder to reach.
    Fact: They did so to create unease and panic, so they could push whacko enviro-weenie policies that that restrict access to oil that is available.
    Fact: They're doing the same with glo-bull warming, for the very same reasons.
    Fact: You can attempt to defend the theory all you want, but the defense of a false theory, propagated for false reasons, still arrives at false conclusions.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

As I've said at least twice you fucking moron, theres no way to know since we don't know how much is out there.

And as I noted we do actually have a fairly good idea.

What gets me though is you don't appear to see the irony of your own statement.

If we truly "don't know" then how are you so sure it's either "hysteria" or "leftist lies"?

Now you should rant about global warming or something else you know dick about.
    Why? Global warming isn't the topic. Nor am I so quick to put up topics that I "know dick about" as you appear to be, as evidenced by your choosing this one.

Backpedal all you want, but you chose the article and you chose to make claims about what the deeper meaning was. I merely pointed out the flaw in your logic, which you essentially conceded, but also insisted you weren't trying to make.

Frankly, it's pathetic.

And there is very little point in continuing to discuss it. You already know you failed (or at least I hope you do), I certainly know it, and anyone else with half a brain can see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast