Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love my Beretta 92 F/S!

was_peacemaker

I love my Beretta 92 F/S!

I know about two years ago I complained about the trigger on these...but now that I have gotten used to it I can't say there is a smoother pistol out there.

The balance feel and weight of the gun is awesome and once I got used to the 3 dot sight system and all I can say is what a heck of a gun.

I like it better than other offers in 9mm because, in aimed or rapid fire it handles well, and you can get serious rapid fire out of it with tremendous control! Now that I am more used to the trigger and "get" the weapon I have to say I will be buying another one!

My AK-47, Beretta 92 F/S Centurion, and Winchester 1300 Defender are my rock n rollers!

Here was a great article on the 92/FS.

"The Beretta 92FS," by Christopher Bartocci...
    ...published in Krause Publications' Handguns 2001(13th Edition), states the following information:

"With the gun's major criticisms in mind, I wanted to see how the M9/92FS would stand up to a 20,500 round torture test using mostly +P and +P+ ammunition. I purchased a stock 92FS from a local gun distributor and made some calls for some high-power ammunition. The ammunition used in this test is as follows: 9X19mm (NATO, Parabellum/Luger) manufactured by Winchester/Olin Corporation.

Beretta U.S.A. claims their pistol is serviceable to 35,000 rounds and that it will function under the most adverse conditions. Beretta U.S.A. claims 'the average reliability of all M9s tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without stoppage.' The ammunition I chose was the hottest ammunition available and I would not recommend anyone put high round counts of +P+ ammunition through any alloy-frame pistol regardless of manufacturer.

The first thing I did was fire for out-of-the-box accuracy, I used the 115-grain +P+ ammunition and at 15 yards the 15-shot group measured 1.5 inches. I had nine magazines loaded up and someone loading magazines as I emptied them and, within 20 minutes, I fired 500 rounds with no malfunctions of any type...

The next day I began firing 2,000 rounds of the 127-grain +P+SXT, by far the hottest 9mm ammunition I have ever fired. There were no malfunctions of any type using this ammunition. Over the next 3 days I fired 8,000 rounds of 9mm NATO, the standard M882 Ball ammunition issued to U.S. military personnel. The M882 ball cartridge is rated as a +P cartridge by SAAMI specifications.

The barrel was cleaned every 2,000 to 3,000 rounds. It would take us 45 to 50 minutes to fire 1,000 rounds and, at times, the pistol would become too hot to handle. I fired 1,000 rounds of Winchester USA 115-grain 9mm ball with no problems and the pistol, after 11,500 rounds, was still delivering groups in the 1.5-inch range.

At this point, the pistol was totally disassembled and cleaned. Then I fired an additional 6,000 rounds of the 115-grain FMJ with only one malfunction. There was one failure to extract due to an under-powered cartridge, not the pistol.

After about 15,000 rounds I began to notice some pitting on the right wing of the locking block. I recommend changing this part when pitting is noted, but this was a torture test and we wanted to see how long the gun will last.

As of now 17,500 rounds have been fired and I headed back to the range to fire the remaining 3,000 rounds. Finally at round count 19,498, I had a locking block failure. The left wing of the locking block broke and the pistol's slide locked up. By pushing down on the broken wing with a drift punch, the action was freed and the pistol subsequently disassembled, revealing some minimal frame damage - but nothing that would affect the operation of the pistol. I changed the locking block and within 10 minutes I was back in action and concluded the test with no other malfunctions. The last 15 rounds were fired for accuracy; the group measured about 1.75 inches at 15 yards. The accuracy had hardly changed at all.

The locking block survived 19,948 rounds, which included 2,500 rounds of +P+, 8,000 rounds of +P and 10,000 rounds of standard 9mm ball. One friend of mine put it best: 'You fired $4,000 worth of ammunition out of a $450 handgun and broke a $60 part after 19,498 rounds were fired, what more could you ask?'
    Here is a good article on why its still kicking in the military today.

And this is an awesome article from cheaperthandirt about how awesome the Beretta is!
    http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/defense-beretta-92/

I have got to shoot a lot of different pistols but I have to say the 92 F/S has become my favorite.
    Last edited by was_peacemaker; 04-23-2014 at 12:32 PM.

I don't get to shoot it as often as I would like, but my 92 FS is definitely a good shooter.

This target was shot with my free hour of range time with the purchase of the pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My favorite pistol. The nice thing about the 92 Series is they get better with age. The trigger smooths out by itself after a few rounds giving it a custom feel without the custom price, and they are like AKs when it comes to reliability, but with amazing accuracy.

The other nice thing about them is like the AK they are built with huge tolerances which is why only the frame has a serial number. You can strip down 10 92FS, toss all the parts into a box, and then pull them out randomly to build 10 perfectly functioning pistols.

Be careful, they are like AKs and can be very addictive with all the variations and special editions available.

92FS Brigadier Inox --- 92FS standard Bruniton
    92G Elite ----92FS standard Inox

safety is off.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Sad to say I've never shot one. Always wanted one, even held a few at the shops.
    Will they run steel cased ammo?

I have the Taurus version of the 92. I have had it for around 12 years and it has never once malfunctioned. I credit that to the Beretta design, not the Taurus manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    safety is off.
    G model has no safety, decock only.

why the red dot then?

is it more of a military version because of the serrations on the front of the slide?
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Had one back in the '90s, they were the must have pistol of that era.

Nice pistol but just moved on to other things over the years. Kinda big for a 9mm but a real sweet shooting gun that's very easy to control.

Always wanted an Inox and still wouldn't mind getting my hands on one if the right deal came along.

hey buddy save your pennies. from what I have read you can find one of your liking.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Had one back in the '90s, they were the must have pistol of that era.

Nice pistol but just moved on to other things over the years. Kinda big for a 9mm but a real sweet shooting gun that's very easy to control.

Always wanted an Inox and still wouldn't mind getting my hands on one if the right deal came along.
    Yes it is big for a 9, but with a flush fit 18 round mag and one in the ready, hard to beat for firepower. That Inox Brig is really nice! Standard Inox is a keeper too, but only with the silver controls. I personally have a thing about the Inox with black controls, it just looks wrong.

THe 92 is a great handgun IMHO.

was_peacemaker
    Hey, imanaknut. I was talking a fellow and he said that if a live round was in the chamber then the "firing pin block" should be sticking up. You know the little piece that sticks up one you pull the trigger? I have never seen mine stick up on a live chamber, and I thought the live chamber indicator was the extractor claw.

Just so I know...that firing pin block should not be sticking up on a live round. Correct?

The firing pin block should only be up in the last few millimeters of trigger pull. If it is sticking up at any other time something is broken and the pistol is in a dangerous condition.

Yes, the extractor claw works as a live chamber indicator.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    The firing pin block should only be up in the last few millimeters of trigger pull. If it is sticking up at any other time something is broken and the pistol is in a dangerous condition.

Yes, the extractor claw works as a live chamber indicator.
    Ok...mine is staying flush with the top of the slide until the trigger is pulled and then it raises up. So I guess mine is normal.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    That Inox Brig is really nice! Standard Inox is a keeper too, but only with the silver controls. I personally have a thing about the Inox with black controls, it just looks wrong.

Yeah I've never carried for that look either.

Gives a gun a sort of mix-&-match look, like they were too cheap to finish the small parts and used off the shelf generic parts.

mines cooler.

after some inspecting, mine has only been factory fired.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Nice early 92 with frame safety!

Won't out-cool you by posting a picture of the step-side first gen 92!

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    mines cooler.

after some inspecting, mine has only been factory fired.
    Is that an old 92SB?

I hate to be the kill joy but I sold mine after owning it for over 12 years. It worked great but I could never get used to it. Just couldn't adapt to it, guess I'm more of a 1911 guy. On the other hand I'm deadly accurate with my XD9... go figure. So the M9 has been replaced by the XD. I still love the design and feel of the Beretta but there was no sense in keeping a pistol I could not shoot accurately.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast