Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well don't just sit there, BBQ something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Yes. I use the same method except instead of mustard I brine them over night in the fridge. Then they get rubbed and eventually onto the smoker.

What are you using for smoking wood?

These Q controllers are the snitz! Take a lot of the fuss out of it for sure.
    I've wondered about a brine for pork shoulder. Maybe something I need to try. I'll use hickory for the smoke.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I've wondered about a brine for pork shoulder. Maybe something I need to try. I'll use hickory for the smoke.
    Sounds like a plan. I've got 15 minutes till chow time!
    Returns June 3rd.

Sounds like a plan. I've got 15 minutes till chow time!
    We're gonna need a pic of those ribs...

Here ya go. Damn these were tasty and being the first of the season a nice treat. we had ear corn and fruit salad with them. Damn, why did I eat so much?

Returns June 3rd.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Nice.
    There was hardly any breeze in the backyard this afternoon. I don't think the temp ever got off of 2 degrees from 230.

Of course now in the morning I have to clean up the mess.

I'm kinda jonesing for some brisket. Might do one in this coming week, or something. A shoulder sounds good too. Some chicken wings sound good too!
    Returns June 3rd.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks like sauce on top of your dry rub. What is it? Or it just the picture?

I have to say, if ribs are cooked right, I'm fine with just dry rub.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Looks like sauce on top of your dry rub. What is it? Or it just the picture?

I have to say, if ribs are cooked right, I'm fine with just dry rub.
    While I would agree with you, the wife and chilrens demand BBQ sauce. They specifically like Sweet Baby Rays.
    Returns June 3rd.

While I would agree with you, the wife and chilrens demand BBQ sauce. They specifically like Sweet Baby Rays.
    Still looks good.

People like sweet baby ray around here too. I thinks its nothing special. Almost all corn syrup. Budweiser brand is actually pretty good for grocery store BBQ sauce IMO.

I like dry rub and NC style pepper vinegar on ribs, NC pepper vinegar on brisket, and South Carolina style mustard sauce on butts of any cut (chopped, shredded, country ribs, or steaks).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Still looks good.

People like sweet baby ray around here too. I thinks its nothing special. Almost all corn syrup. Budweiser brand is actually pretty good for grocery store BBQ sauce IMO.

I like dry rub and NC style pepper vinegar on ribs, NC pepper vinegar on brisket, and South Carolina style mustard sauce on butts of any cut (chopped, shredded, country ribs, or steaks).
    I have to be careful with pulled pork too. They don't want any vinegar in it and don't want it too spicy either. The wife thinks mild rotel is too hot for dip or even chilli.
    Returns June 3rd.

I have to be careful with pulled pork too. They don't want any vinegar in it and don't want it too spicy either. The wife thinks mild rotel is too hot for dip or even chilli.
    This is the shit for pulled pork:

http://www.piggiepark.com/product/so...old-bbq-sauce/

I like the sauce from his brother more. Called Bessinger's, its the sweeter low country version, but its not available to ship it looks like. Bessinger is actually Maurice's brother, their father pretty much defined SC BBQ.

Also they were some of the last outspoken segregationists in America.

This is the shit for pulled pork:

http://www.piggiepark.com/product/so...old-bbq-sauce/

I like the sauce from his brother more. Called Bessinger's, its the sweeter low country version, but its not available to ship it looks like. Bessinger is actually Maurice's brother, their father pretty much defined SC BBQ.

Also they were some of the last outspoken segregationists in America.
    Is that mustard based or what?
    Returns June 3rd.

Is that mustard based or what?
    Hells yeah.

Mustard based is the SC way.

I actually like some stuff called Wadmalaw Sauce, made on one the barrier islands around here (Wadmalaw Island), but that stuff will never be available to ship.

Actually I did find it online.

http://wadmalawislandbbq.com/Rates_JGY9.html

Now THIS is the shit!

I like it on burgers and everything else too. Would be awesome on smoked chicken wings.

Actually I did find it online.

http://wadmalawislandbbq.com/Rates_JGY9.html

Now THIS is the shit!

I like it on burgers and everything else too. Would be awesome on smoked chicken wings.
    Well, at least its red.

Mustard base sauces are simply not heard of in these parts. Hell, you don't run into the slaw on a pulled pork sammie till you hit St Louis.

The way I Q can best be described as KC style. It would be quite authentic if the clan would leave me alone.

As an example: When I do ribs, I'm trying to get the flavor of what you'd get at Gates & Sons. To me their Q, is perfection.

https://www.gatesbbq.com/Default.aspx

Old Ollie Gates knew his Q.
    Returns June 3rd.

Tell ya what, Funky, we (our group here) should do a seasoning and sauce exchange of some sort. I find stuff like that to be a lot of fun, plus, if one is not careful, you might learn of something you like.
    Returns June 3rd.

Well, at least its red.

Mustard base sauces are simply not heard of in these parts. Hell, you don't run into the slaw on a pulled pork sammie till you hit St Louis.

The way I Q can best be described as KC style. It would be quite authentic if the clan would leave me alone.

As an example: When I do ribs, I'm trying to get the flavor of what you'd get at Gates & Sons. To me their Q, is perfection.

https://www.gatesbbq.com/Default.aspx

Old Ollie Gates knew his Q.
    One day I'll go on a BBQ tour of the south and I'll make sure to try that place.

Tell ya what, Funky, we (our group here) should do a seasoning and sauce exchange of some sort. I find stuff like that to be a lot of fun, plus, if one is not careful, you might learn of something you like.
    I would be down for this.

One day I'll go on a BBQ tour of the south and I'll make sure to try that place.
    Um, do you guys consider Missouri as being in the South?

Not that thats an issue of any kind, but I think most here see themselves as being from the midwest.

I dunno, I've personally always sort of thought of Missouri as being where the Midwest, South and South West met to shake hands.
    Returns June 3rd.

Um, do you guys consider Missouri as being in the South?

Not that thats an issue of any kind, but I think most here see themselves as being from the midwest.

I dunno, I've personally always sort of thought of Missouri as being where the Midwest, South and South West met to shake hands.
    You're close enough for my fantasy BBQ tour.

And no, if you didn't know what boiled peanuts are then you're not a southerner.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast