Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well don't just sit there, BBQ something!!!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You're close enough for my fantasy BBQ tour.

And no, if you didn't know what boiled peanuts are then you're not a southerner.
    Returns June 3rd.

Funky those sauces have my interest. I love the Carolina pulled pork style of bbq. When I attended a relative's wedding in Greenville, they catered in bbq. Oh man I was hooked from then on. I have made some various vinegar/mustard sauces to compliment the pulled pork but I don't feel like I ever really nailed it. Here is whats going on at my house today...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks good, Ten-32!

You ought to try those sauces I posted if your interested. The Greenville BBQ you tried probably had Maurice's sauce or something very similar. The Wadmalaw sauce I posted has a more low country flavor, with more vinegar, tomato, peppers, and sweetness. Maurice's sauce will have a stronger mustard flavor but less of everything else.

In addition to smoked meats, mustard sauce is good on grilled pork chops and chicken as well. Apply it at the very end and let it char a little bit on the meat... good God man!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

good God man!
    Indeed!
    Here is a recipe I found...the guy says it is eastern North Carolina sauce...your thoughts?
    In a med sauce pan put 1 and 1/2 cups of white vinegar
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tbls. red pepper
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. sage
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 1/2tsp salt ( sea salt)
    1 level tsp. dark brown sugar.
    Bring to boil and turn off.
    Allow to cool.
    Last edited by TEN-32; 04-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Matt, those look great!

So, when did you get them on, and what time (roughly) do you think they'll be done?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Indeed!
    Here is a recipe I found...the guy says it is eastern North Carolina sauce...your thoughts?
    1 tbls. red pepper
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. sage
    1 tsp. black pepper
    Allow to cool.
    That more complicated than I've ever made, but thats also not our specialty down here. I'm sure the NC guys make it fancier since thats their specialty. Usually I've had it with whole peppers soaking in it and not a ton of powdered spices.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indeed!
    1 tbls. red pepper
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. sage
    1 tsp. black pepper
    Allow to cool.
    Damn, thats a lot of vinegar.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Um, do you guys consider Missouri as being in the South?

Not that thats an issue of any kind, but I think most here see themselves as being from the midwest.

I dunno, I've personally always sort of thought of Missouri as being where the Midwest, South and South West met to shake hands.
    Being North or South isn't geographic, it's cultural. If your state is famous for barbeque, is generally conservative and religious, then you are a Southern State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Being North or South isn't geographic, it's cultural. If your state is famous for barbeque, is generally conservative and religious, then you are a Southern State.

Its a red state for sure, but St Louis and KC are decidedly blue. But out here in the hinterlands, your description is apt.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post

Missouri

Missouri is classified as a Midwestern state by the Census Bureau and many of its residents. St. Louis was known as the "Gateway to the West" when settlement was expanding. Some observers include the Missouri Ozarks with the Highland South and its predominantly Scots-Irish culture. The northern edge of the Ozark Plateau was settled chiefly by mid-to-late 19th century German immigrants, however, who founded numerous vineyards and wineries. Due to this, Missouri was the second-largest wine-producing state before Prohibition, which destroyed the industry. Wineries have been rebuilt since the later decades of the 20th century, and Missouri wineries are competing well in national festivals. Part of the Missouri River valley, from beyond St. Louis suburbs in St. Charles County to east of Jefferson City, is known as the Missouri Rhineland because of the extensive vineyards and wineries based on German immigrant tradition and descendants.
    In the antebellum years, many settlers from Upper South states such as Virginia and Kentucky migrated to the counties of central and western Missouri along the Missouri River, where they could cultivate tobacco and hemp. Because these southerners brought their culture and slaveholding with them, Missouri was admitted to the Union as a slaveholding state. In modern times, this area became known as Little Dixie. Before the Civil War, six of the counties included in this area had populations in which more than 25% were enslaved African Americans, the highest concentrations in the state outside the cotton plantations in the Mississippi Delta.[53] Antebellum houses typical of the South still stand in some of Little Dixie, although for the most part all of Little Dixie is considered to be Midwestern by modern standards. All the crops grown there today are corn, soybeans and wheat, of which the area was far more suited than for Southern crops like cotton, hemp or tobacco, the latter three of which essentially ceased their presence there after the Civil War along with the dominance of Southern culture. However, the Missouri bootheel is still very much culturally southern.
    Sounds like Missourians have to decide on an individual basis whether they are southern or not.

I'll stick with my two major litmus tests for southern culture:

1: Do you like boiled peanuts?

2: What side did your family fight on?

I'll stick with my two major litmus tests for southern culture:

1: Do you like boiled peanuts? Not sure.

2: What side did your family fight on? Both.
    Returns June 3rd.

Sounds like Missourians have to decide on an individual basis whether they are southern or not.
    German influence as well as Scots-Irish is very strong here. I've always considered myself a Midwesterner and I think most around me do too. Now, if you head down toward the boot-heel, it feels more southern and you start to see a lot of confederate flags. Here in the central part of Missouri you very rarely see the confederate flag, but you see lots of the stars and stripes.

In truth I think its best to describe Missouri as a transitional state. Part southern, part midwestern. Also, down in the south western part of the state you start getting some influence of cowboy culture, from southern Kansas and Oklahoma.

I dunno, it doesn't matter much to me, all I know is I truly love ol Mizzou.
    Returns June 3rd.

Matt, those look great!

So, when did you get them on, and what time (roughly) do you think they'll be done?
    They went on at 0600. Its now just past 1300 and they are at 166 internal. They have hit "the stall". I'd guesstimate another two hours +/-. My God but the aroma is intoxicating...

They went on at 0600. Its now just past 1300 and they are at 166 internal. They have hit "the stall". I'd guesstimate another two hours +/-. My God but the aroma is intoxicating...
    Cool. The last one I did was fairly heavy and it took 11 hours to cook the damned thing. Also, yes, the stall phenomena is quite real. You going to pull it at 195?
    Returns June 3rd.

That more complicated than I've ever made, but thats also not our specialty down here. I'm sure the NC guys make it fancier since thats their specialty. Usually I've had it with whole peppers soaking in it and not a ton of powdered spices.
    OK, I just put one together for this pork. Vinegar, yellow mustard, red & black pepper and brown sugar. Tangy as hell but good. Thin.
    Cool. The last one I did was fairly heavy and it took 11 hours to cook the damned thing. Also, yes, the stall phenomena is quite real. You going to pull it at 195?
    Yessir, thats the plan. I sure would like to eat it NOW...LOL.

OK, I just put one together for this pork. Vinegar, yellow mustard, red & black pepper and brown sugar. Tangy as hell but good. Thin.

Yessir, thats the plan. I sure would like to eat it NOW...LOL.
    Yep, often times Qing can be down right torturous.
    Returns June 3rd.

Sounds good. The local sauces have corn syrup to sweeten it, to thicken it, and to give it the ability to caramelize when it chars on a grill.

SC mustard base is a totally different animal than NC vinegar. With the recipe you posted earlier about the vinegar I thought you were going for NC.

The one you made sounds like it would be good to put on before you slow cook it. I like the thicker sauce for grilling or putting on sandwiches.

Sounds good. The local sauces have corn syrup to sweeten it, to thicken it, and to give it the ability to caramelize when it chars on a grill.

SC mustard base is a totally different animal than NC vinegar. With the recipe you posted earlier about the vinegar I thought you were going for NC.

The one you made sounds like it would be good to put on before you slow cook it. I like the thicker sauce for grilling or putting on sandwiches.
    Okay, thanks for letting me pick your brain. I need to do more research.

Okay, thanks for letting me pick your brain. I need to do more research.
    Hope the weather holds for you, we're having thunderstorms today.
    Returns June 3rd.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast