Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well don't just sit there, BBQ something!!!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Smile Well don't just sit there, BBQ something!!!

Gonna have a mess of pork ribs tonight. My my, how I do love me some pork ribs.

Better make up a batch of sun tea. (no sugar)

And they're on. Just need to wait now and let the hickory smoke do its thing.

Returns June 3rd.

I wish I was your neighbor!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I wish I was your neighbor!
    Ha! I just thought the same thing.

I'd grab a beer and head over ASAP.

Hell I'd love to boil up some peanuts on a day like today, I'm stuck here at a desk working instead. Arg!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Both of you would have to bring beer, or you would get no ribs!

But, if you got at least a 12'er, come on over!
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Both of you would have to bring beer, or you would get no ribs!

But, if you got at least a 12'er, come on over!
    Like I said, I'd bring beer and cook some fresh peanuts.

I need a day off!
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 04-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Like I said, I'd bring beer and cook some fresh peanuts.

I need a day off!
    What exactly are boiled peanuts?

I'm pretty sure I've never had them. But then, we don't grow peanuts here either.
    Returns June 3rd.

What exactly are boiled peanuts?.
    They are exactly what the name says. Dump raw, in the shell peanuts into a boiling kettle of salted water. Cook until soft, turn off the heat and let 'me soak a bit, then refrigerate for short term storage. Freeze or can boiled peanuts for longer term storage.

What exactly are boiled peanuts?

I'm pretty sure I've never had them. But then, we don't grow peanuts here either.
    What?!

They're the ultimate southern outdoor food right after BBQ.

I use fresh "green peanuts", not the dried ones from out west. Thats the big difference between the roadside stands and the traditional guys like me that do it at home. I'll set up the cooker in the back yard and boil the peanuts for a number of hours until the taste and firmness meats my preferences.

I always use peppers and cajun seasonings in mine, as well as pork drippings, bacon, or ham hock when available.

Beer, peanuts, and BBQ make the ultimate Saturday afternoon in my mind.

I'm literally addicted to boiled peanuts. I can't stop eating them when I make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator89 View Post
    They are exactly what the name says. Dump raw, in the shell peanuts into a boiling kettle of salted water. Cook until soft, turn off the heat and let 'me soak a bit, then refrigerate for short term storage. Freeze or can boiled peanuts for longer term storage.
    The traditional salted in the shell peanuts you buy at baseball parks, are those the same thing?
    Returns June 3rd.

The traditional salted in the shell peanuts you buy at baseball parks, are those the same thing?
    If you're talking about the wet ones, they are the same thing.

Except we use fresh peanuts down here, they come out a lot better than boiling the dried nuts like they do at roadside stands and baseball fields.

What?!

They're the ultimate southern outdoor food right after BBQ.

I use fresh "green peanuts", not the dried ones from out west. Thats the big difference between the roadside stands and the traditional guys like me that do it at home. I'll set up the cooker in the back yard and boil the peanuts for a number of hours until the taste and firmness meats my preferences.

I always use peppers and cajun seasonings in mine, as well as pork drippings, bacon, or ham hock when available.

Beer, peanuts, and BBQ make the ultimate Saturday afternoon in my mind.

I'm literally addicted to boiled peanuts. I can't stop eating them when I make them.
    Seriously, thats completely beyond my experience. Thats not something thats done in this part of the country.

I also had no idea what cheese curds were either until a vendor from Wisconsin sent up about 2 pounds of it along with other stuff.
    Returns June 3rd.

If you're talking about the wet ones, they are the same thing.

Except we use fresh peanuts down here, they come out a lot better than boiling the dried nuts like they do at roadside stands and baseball fields.

Only ones I've had were bone dry.
    Returns June 3rd.

Seriously, thats completely beyond my experience. Thats not something thats done in this part of the country.

I also had no idea what cheese curds were either until a vendor from Wisconsin sent up about 2 pounds of it along with other stuff.
    If you can get your hands on some fresh peanuts I say give them a shot.

As far as cheese curds go.... WTF is a cheese curd? Sounds like a biological waste product.

Nice. I can smell em from here. I just picked up 2 shoulders and the last 2 jugs of Russell's Reserve they had on clearance.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Nice. I can smell em from here. I just picked up 2 shoulders and the last 2 jugs of Russell's Reserve they had on clearance.
    You cooking both shoulders at the same time? That would make for a lot of sammiches.

Good idea on the RR too, since they're all but giving it to you.
    Returns June 3rd.

If you can get your hands on some fresh peanuts I say give them a shot.

As far as cheese curds go.... WTF is a cheese curd? Sounds like a biological waste product.

I'm assuming you're familiar with colby, mild cheddar? The curds are that color and taste about the same, but they're softer. They're roughly the size of a dime and sort of round.
    Returns June 3rd.

You cooking both shoulders at the same time? That would make for a lot of sammiches.

Good idea on the RR too, since they're all but giving it to you.
    Yes, both will go on. I have a vaccuum food saver and a chest freezer. I use it for various meals besides just sandwiches. Namely carnitas (tacos), and I need smoked shoulder to make the beans that go with my ribs.

Holy crap! I saw the RR elsewhere for $46. I paid under $22.

Yes, both will go on. I have a vaccuum food saver and a chest freezer. I use it for various meals besides just sandwiches. Namely carnitas (tacos), and I need smoked shoulder to make the beans that go with my ribs.

Holy crap! I saw the RR elsewhere for $46. I paid under $22.
    Yep, thats what it running here too, $45 and change.

When are you cooking the shoulders? That'll take some time, good thing its not strenuous.
    Returns June 3rd.

LOL strenuous? No. But its still labor. I'll slather them down with yellow mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub tonight and wrap em in plastic wrap. They'll marinate in that overnight and I'll get them going 0500-0600 or so. From there the Digi-Q does the hard part keeping the pit at 225*. I'll pull em at 195ish internal and wrap em in foil and settle em in a cooler for an hour or two. After that the bones will slide out clean and I'll pull em and bag em and freeze em. Damn good eats brother.

LOL strenuous? No. But its still labor. I'll slather them down with yellow mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub tonight and wrap em in plastic wrap. They'll marinate in that overnight and I'll get them going 0500-0600 or so. From there the Digi-Q does the hard part keeping the pit at 225*. I'll pull em at 195ish internal and wrap em in foil and settle em in a cooler for an hour or two. After that the bones will slide out clean and I'll pull em and bag em and freeze em. Damn good eats brother.
    Yes. I use the same method except instead of mustard I brine them over night in the fridge. Then they get rubbed and eventually onto the smoker.

What are you using for smoking wood?

These Q controllers are the snitz! Take a lot of the fuss out of it for sure.
    Returns June 3rd.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast