Thread: Zastava N-PAP M70 from CAI...furniture finish question

Zastava N-PAP M70 from CAI...furniture finish question

Just bought one of these....nice rifle!

But all that's said about the furniture is that it's an "oil finish". What kind of oil finish? BLO, Tung or other? Anyone know?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Welcome to the AK-47 Site! Mine really doesn't have a finish on it. Going to do some light sanding and use some tung oil on it.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

EDIT: I just realized that you're asking about a N-pap and I was thinking O-pap.

The N-paps supposedly come with a nice finish on the stocks.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 04-25-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

welcome to the site. wow when your are talking wood it is almost like women. your taste, be slow and easy. Enjoy!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

To be honest, the only way to possibly know would be to contact Century and see if they know. If they do you are lucky, if they don't, and my guess is they don't, there might not be a way to find out unless you know someone who is hot into wood finishing that might be able to give you a best guess.

Seriously, many AK variants come into this country with features that nobody can figure out what, or why.

At least the N-PAP is one of the nicer of the current generation of AK variants.

Thanks for the responses and the welcome...guess I'll just have to work on it, since it seems that it has no finish at all looking at the answers

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quite a few AKM variations have shown up over the last few years with either no finish or if something was used, it sure doesn't look it. I have seen WASR-10s and some of their variations with obviously unfinished wood, a couple of M70 AB2 with no finish, and like yours, a couple of N-PAPs that look like unfinished wood.

Might save them a few cents in the build of a rifle that normally sells for under a hundred dollars in the rest of the world. Unfortunately we with a law about shall not be infringed have to put up with ATF bans that only drive the prices up. And thinking about it, what better way to slow the sales of firearms than driving the prices up to crazy levels.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
    Thanks for the responses and the welcome...guess I'll just have to work on it, since it seems that it has no finish at all looking at the answers
    I had to edit my reply, I was thinking O-pap, which comes with no finish at all. The N-pap comes with a nice looking finish but I don't know what it is as I don't own one.

From what I understand though, all Serbian / Yugo stocks call for an oil finish of some sort, with no laquer or poly coat.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    If I had to guess from the ones I've seen I would say tung oil.

Here's some photos of the rifle with close ups of the wood...maybe someone can tell by looking at it...

P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

I have gone over stocks that I had used linseed oil on that have dried with Danish oil with good results. If the stock is dry, rub it with linseed oil or danish oil , just a little bit. after it soaks in give it a little more in a few days.

How many times you apply it depends on if you want a really nice finish or just want to protect the wood.

Here's some photos of the rifle with close ups of the wood...maybe someone can tell by looking at it...

P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Kinda has a linseed oil look to it.

For some reason, the top gas tube handguard has a much higher shine than the lower handgurard and especially the buttstock...odd...

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    For some reason, the top gas tube handguard has a much higher shine than the lower handgurard and especially the buttstock...odd...
    Not really, the furniture is American and I doubt very much they bother trying to match up the color, on mine the forend is noticeably wider than the handguard

exactly, make the wood your own.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator

The original wood on these rifles is native Beech, not teak. The current rifles are finished wood stocks the originals were oiled....we like to use lemon oil its as close as you can get to the originals...in fact mates up perfectly. good luck.