Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisconsin Voter ID Law

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Of course I knew what you meant. But there is an equivalent, absentee voting.
    Awesome...next election I'm just going to design and print up my own version of an absentee ballot, fill it out and send it in. That'll fly, right?

After all, if it's a right, there's no reason I should be bound to any specific form.

In fact, I think I'll print up a few hundred thousand of them.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Awesome...next election I'm just going to design and print up my own version of an absentee ballot, fill it out and send it in. That'll fly, right?

After all, if it's a right, there's no reason I should be bound to any specific form.

In fact, I think I'll print up a few hundred thousand of them.
    Pretty sure you can just print them out from online, or pick them up from numerous locations (depending on your state).

If you were to send in a few hundred thousand, no current voter ID law would have the slightest effect on that.

But let me ask you this, if it is about securing the vote, why not have a better system for absentee ballots?

Why is the Republican party more interested in stopping people from voting on election day, rather than the several weeks leading up to it?

Do you think the fraudsters won't think to send in absentee ballots? That they are somehow capable of creating multiple identities, but not capable of using the US postal service?

I used to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume you only wanted fair elections, and I stuck to mostly arguing that all the evidence shows voter ID to be useless, expensive, and unnecessary. But now I am starting to wonder if it isn't actually about stopping "certain people" who otherwise are in fact legally eligible to vote, from being able to vote.

You know, if one was really concerned about voter fraud (people supposedly voting multiple times) wouldn't the smart thing to do be to move to a 100% absentee system like I think Oregon does?

I mean, that way you know that only 1 ballot is going each registered voter in a household. (Although I suppose you could be concerned about mailbox theft, but then it would be pretty obvious when people report never getting their ballot.)

It just seems that if the motive was really to tamp down on fraud instead of suppress voter turnout amongst lower-income folks, there are alternatives to making everyone jump through the hoops of obtaining ID, let alone all the extra time it takes to check those ID's at the polling places over and over again...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    You know, if one was really concerned about voter fraud (people supposedly voting multiple times) wouldn't the smart thing to do be to move to a 100% absentee system like I think Oregon does?

I mean, that way you know that only 1 ballot is going each registered voter in a household. (Although I suppose you could be concerned about mailbox theft, but then it would be pretty obvious when people report never getting their ballot.)

It just seems that if the motive was really to tamp down on fraud instead of suppress voter turnout amongst lower-income folks, there are alternatives to making everyone jump through the hoops of obtaining ID, let alone all the extra time it takes to check those ID's at the polling places over and over again...
    Yep.

Or you could use ID combined with a PIN number, or biometrics. It's not like we don't have the technology to have a pretty damn secure system.

Hell, if they were just worried about someone voting multiple times in person, the Iraqis used a rather low tech system to prevent that, dip a finger in ink.

That could even be a symbol of civic pride, walking around with a blue finger for the rest of the day.

Pretty sure you can just print them out from online, or pick them up from numerous locations (depending on your state).
    You can print a request for an absentee ballot, to send in, to have an absentee ballot sent to you, but you cannot print the ballot itself.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

You can print a request for an absentee ballot, to send in, to have an absentee ballot sent to you, but you cannot print the ballot itself.
    Might be different in other states, but I'll take your word for it. That's a part of the system I've never used, nor looked into.

For some reason I thought you could pick one up at the post office, I recall hearing that as a kid...might have been BS though.

Personally, I don't think fraud is a big problem, but the appearance of possible fraud is a big problem obviously. I think we need to start coming up with ideas that restore faith in the system.

But then again, that's an issue with everything government related these days. However, at least there is a fair amount of evidence to support the notion that our government is often incompetent.

Maybe even frequently, or regularly incompetent.

Perhaps consistently incompetent isn't even an unfair assessment...

Might be different in other states, but I'll take your word for it. That's a part of the system I've never used, nor looked into.

For some reason I thought you could pick one up at the post office, I recall hearing that as a kid...might have been BS though.

Personally, I don't think fraud is a big problem, but the appearance of possible fraud is a big problem obviously. I think we need to start coming up with ideas that restore faith in the system.

But then again, that's an issue with everything government related these days. However, at least there is a fair amount of evidence to support the notion that our government is often incompetent.

Maybe even frequently, or regularly incompetent.

Perhaps consistently incompetent isn't even an unfair assessment...
    I would go so far as to say, nearly always incompetent...as well as interminably imperious about it.

I would go so far as to say, nearly always incompetent...as well as interminably imperious about it.
    yep. this
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

The left is slick. They will win with this kind of action.

I've bought several guns without showing ID. Nothing illegal about it.

I've also bought alcohol, tobacco, and cold medicine without showing ID.
    How do you buy a firearm without an ID? In every state you need to fill out a 4473, yes?

(although come to think of it, I never had to SHOW my FFL my driver's license... but then again he knows me personally)......

As far as "cold medicine", try buying Claritin-D or any other OTC allergy med that contains Pseudoephedrine without ID... you can't... because dopers use the "Pseudo" as a precursor for making meth and the feds want to keep track of large purchases in a small area.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    How do you buy a firearm without an ID? In every state you need to fill out a 4473, yes?
    For a new gun from a store, yes.

For a used gun face to face, such as at a gunshow, no.

As far as "cold medicine", try buying Claritin-D or any other OTC allergy med that contains Pseudoephedrine without ID... you can't... because dopers use the "Pseudo" as a precursor for making meth and the feds want to keep track of large purchases in a small area.
    Oh duh! I totally forgot about that, I really was like WTF. I just ignore that stuff and buy the stuff on the shelves. Yeah, I guess most places have those cards on the shelf that you can walk over to the pharmacy itself and get. But I just don't bother.

The only one probably worth getting that way is Sudafed, in my opinion. But rather than the hassle I just grab Dayquil (well, the generic equivalent actually).

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    At least in Indiana, even though the cashier is given the ok to guess your age, it is still strange to have to show my photo ID at age 60+, and my dad thought it was cute to get ID'd at age 85, but that still gets us away from voting, which as part of your right to vote, you have to be a citizen of this country, or so I thought, so what better way than with a voter ID card, or drivers license as it is here in the Hoosier state?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12