Thread: NRA Talks the Talk - May Not Walk the Walk

NRA Talks the Talk - May Not Walk the Walk

I hope this is not true -- but it probably is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-s..._b_576680.html

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How about these two quotes, from the very same article:
    North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.

Thank you for contacting us.
    The Charlotte Convention Center does not allow the carrying of firearms, both open and concealed.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best Regards,
    Ken
    NRA Member Communications

Did you see who the author of this is?

Josh Sugarmann

Executive director of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, DC
    Posted: May 14, 2010 02:03 PM

This is nothing but propaganda to make gun owners turn on the only people keeping the progressives from accomplishing their mission of total disarmament.

This is the author's opinion, which I hope no one here agrees with:

...even the NRA is well aware that a heavily armed crowd numbering in the tens of thousands (as promised by the organization) is an invitation to mishap and even disaster.
    Personally, I buy the NRA's story. I imagine most convention centers do have rules against the carry of firearms. I know you can't carry at SHOT show either.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 04-30-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    We just finished the NRA convention in downtown Indianapolis. Our convention center is huge and handled it very nicely. Some said it was the largest convention in the history of Indy, but small when you consider that once a year we cram upwards of half a million into a race track and control that nicely, a 100,000 three day convention is easy.

Oh, and all the fears of blood in the streets was urban legend too, as most people attending the show, myself included, were armed per our rights. Our convention center had no problem with it, but maybe that is because Indiana as a whole is a very firearm friendly state. There were no problems.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    We just finished the NRA convention in downtown Indianapolis. Our convention center is huge and handled it very nicely. Some said it was the largest convention in the history of Indy, but small when you consider that once a year we cram upwards of half a million into a race track and control that nicely, a 100,000 three day convention is easy.

Oh, and all the fears of blood in the streets was urban legend too, as most people attending the show, myself included, were armed per our rights. Our convention center had no problem with it, but maybe that is because Indiana as a whole is a very firearm friendly state. There were no problems.
    Nice!

This is more evidence that the NRA doesn't have a problem with people carrying at NRA functions.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Of course it is a propaganda piece -- but the best propaganda is true or based on truth. I don't think for one minute the NRA could not find an alternative venue, i.e., one that allowed the NRA members attending this event to be armed.