Thread: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel & H. Upmann #2

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel & H. Upmann #2

Right, I've been wanting to try this particular bourbon for some time now. But it simply isn't available out here in Fumbuc.

This is yet another excellent product from our friends at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort Kentucky. Its 90 proof with no age statement. Its a $28.00 bottle.

I'll share some opinion a little later, but in the mean time here's what Jason and Ralfy have to say about Elmer T. Lee, Single Barrel Kentucky bourbon.

Last edited by El Jefe; 05-06-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Returns June 3rd.

Returns June 3rd.

Interesting. Here, let me share some first impressions.

Aroma; the ethanol is surprisingly tame, which is great, because it lets the aromas really shine through. At first blush I'm reminded of Old Grand Dad, licorice, mint and orange peel. But as soon as that impression is formed it changes some and I notice a whiff of burnt sugar and dark chocolate. Really nice.

Taste; its a bit sweeter than I would have guessed, caramel, dark chocolate, fennel, bitter mint and citrus zest. There's a lot going on here, this right from the start strikes me as a pour to concentrate on and take seriously, in an enjoying the moment kind of way of course. This is far too good to mix cocktails with, and I wouldn't use it in a flask while fishing either. No, this is a serious sipper.

Mouth feel; neat it feels a bit thin, but with a bit of water it gets thick and oily, I've always found this phenomena quite interesting. .

The finish; a bit of sweet and some rye spice, oak notes from the barrel and a bit of astringency. The finish on this goes on for days.

Okay, I fully understand why Matt the other day said of of the three whiskeys I had ordered; Weller Antique, Blanton's single barrel and this one, that this one would be his choice. At the time that somewhat surprised me, but no more, I get it, I really get it. This is a superb whiskey that would be a good buy at twice the price.

I'll uh, be ordering more................soon!
    Returns June 3rd.

Well said. Its a favorite no doubt. The other two are good, but this one is special. Ditto the WT Russell's Reserve.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Well said. Its a favorite no doubt. The other two are good, but this one is special. Ditto the WT Russell's Reserve.
    Did you go back and buy those guys out who had it on clearance?
    Returns June 3rd.

LOL, yes. Only 2 left but I grabbed them.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    LOL, yes. Only 2 left but I grabbed them.
    Cool. Last night while I was sitting up waiting on my son to get home, I was looking around and found an outfit online that has Evan Williams Single Barrel for $21.95 per 750ml. I'm thinking of getting like 5 of them since the EWSB has jumped up to $36.00 here recently.
    Returns June 3rd.