Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China ‘considering’ building high-speed rail line from Beijing to the United States

China ‘considering’ building high-speed rail line from Beijing to the United States

China is considering plans to build a high-speed railway line to the US, the country’s official media has reported.

The proposed line would begin in north-east China and run up through Siberia, pass through a tunnel underneath the Pacific Ocean then cut through Alaska and Canada to reach the continental US, according to a report in the state-run Beijing Times newspaper.

Crossing the Bering Strait in between Russia and Alaska would require about 200km (125 miles) of undersea tunnel, the paper said, citing Wang Mengshu, a railway expert at the Chinese Academy of Engineering.

“Right now we’re already in discussions. Russia has already been thinking about this for many years,” Wang said.

The project - nicknamed the “China-Russia plus America line” - would run for 13,000km, about 3,000km further than the Trans-Siberian Railway.

The entire trip would take two days, with the train travelling at an average of 350kmh (220mph).
    http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...-united-states
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

If .gov gives any funding to this I'll shit a brick.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Well, I expect the 0bamaregim to give this its full support if the chicoms and kremlin are serious about it. And probably any follow on regim will also.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

OK, so they can ram a nuke up our ass via train?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Na, Russia or its dupes will bring nukes in and plant them before the attack - likely across the southern border or in the diplomatic pouch. The rail line will be for troops and armor and supplies.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    The entire trip would take two days, with the train travelling at an average of 350kmh (220mph).
    You could take a plane, be there to order authentic take out for lunch and be back the same day.

Inefficient waste of money.

good luck crossing the tectonic plate boundary with something that won't leak. spend two days underwater travelling from China to the US? only in a US navy submarine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    China is considering plans to build a high-speed railway line to the US, the country’s official media has reported.

The proposed line would begin in north-east China and run up through Siberia, pass through a tunnel underneath the Pacific Ocean then cut through Alaska and Canada to reach the continental US, according to a report in the state-run Beijing Times newspaper.

Crossing the Bering Strait in between Russia and Alaska would require about 200km (125 miles) of undersea tunnel, the paper said, citing Wang Mengshu, a railway expert at the Chinese Academy of Engineering.

“Right now we’re already in discussions. Russia has already been thinking about this for many years,” Wang said.

The project - nicknamed the “China-Russia plus America line” - would run for 13,000km, about 3,000km further than the Trans-Siberian Railway.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...-united-states
    How would it be possible to exchange the air in that tunnel? What if there were an accident or fire? No way would I go 125 miles underground with no way out. No way.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    You could take a plane, be there to order authentic take out for lunch and be back the same day.

Inefficient waste of money.
    A 747 burns roughly 3,600 gallons of fuel per hour. Figuring about 12 hours to China that's 43,200 gallons of fuel

Although it sounds a lot nicer if you put it in terms of 86.4 gallons per passenger, assuming 500 passengers.

That same 3,600 gallons of fuel per hour is the rate of the worlds largest container cargo ships (obviously they take longer to get there)

Many trains run at well under 100 gallons per hour

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    How would it be possible to exchange the air in that tunnel? What if there were an accident or fire? No way would I go 125 miles underground with no way out. No way.
    If you want some real speed, pump as much air as you can out of the tube.

the average depth is also 14,000 ft, this is a non-idea.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    A 747 burns roughly 3,600 gallons of fuel per hour. Figuring about 12 hours to China that's 43,200 gallons of fuel

Although it sounds a lot nicer if you put it in terms of 86.4 gallons per passenger, assuming 500 passengers.

That same 3,600 gallons of fuel per hour is the rate of the worlds largest container cargo ships (obviously they take longer to get there)

Many trains run at well under 100 gallons per hour
    At 220 miles per hour? I doubt it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    At 220 miles per hour? I doubt it.
    Newton's first law of motion

Newton's first law of motion
    How long will these trains need to be to be economically viable? Weight and incline will play a roll. Are there large high speed trains that run that efficiently?
    Returns June 3rd.

How long will these trains need to be to be economically viable?
    Depends on what they carry. But the fuel savings will be huge. Construction costs will also be huge. But, frankly, China is the one in position to do it, cheap labor, cheap resources.

Weight and incline will play a roll.
    It's a plus and minus, the rolling weight keeps it rolling, even up mild grades (to a point), and if you use the downgrades to generate power for a diesel electric hybrid, then you can be looking at some even more serious gains.

Are there large high speed trains that run that efficiently?
    Yep. Well, good sized one's at least. Most of the really high speed are passenger trains, but they are moving far more freight then ever before. If we aren't quite there yet, then it won't be long. It's mostly a matter of designing one for the task and having the funds to build it.

Depends on what they carry. But the fuel savings will be huge. Construction costs will also be huge. But, frankly, China is the one in position to do it, cheap labor, cheap resources.

It's a plus and minus, the rolling weight keeps it rolling, even up mild grades (to a point), and if you use the downgrades to generate power for a diesel electric hybrid, then you can be looking at some even more serious gains.

Yep. Well, good sized one's at least. Most of the really high speed are passenger trains, but they are moving far more freight then ever before. If we aren't quite there yet, then it won't be long. It's mostly a matter of designing one for the task and having the funds to build it.
    So, in other words, you don't know, natch.
    Returns June 3rd.

So, in other words, you don't know, natch.
    Obviously I can't give anything exact, but I can give a general idea.

No knowing the engine, how much weight its pulling, and on what grade, it's impossibly to really accurately say.

But that doesn't mean it's impossible to get a general idea.

If I were to say a car is going to go 100 miles, how much gas will it use? I couldn't accurately answer that question, but the rough idea would likely be between 2 and 12 gallons.

It's not likely to be 200 gallons. Regardless of type of car, city/highway, or grade of road.

A train isn't going to jump from 100 GPH to the 3,600 GHP of a cargo ship because there another couple cars added or the incline goes up another couple inches per mile.

Obviously I can't give anything exact, but I can give a general idea.

No knowing the engine, how much weight its pulling, and on what grade, it's impossibly to really accurately say.

But that doesn't mean it's impossible to get a general idea.

If I were to say a car is going to go 100 miles, how much gas will it use? I couldn't accurately answer that question, but the rough idea would likely be between 2 and 12 gallons.

It's not likely to be 200 gallons. Regardless of type of car, city/highway, or grade of road.

A train isn't going to jump from 100 GPH to the 3,600 GHP of a cargo ship because there another couple cars added or the incline goes up another couple inches per mile.
    Um, I already had a general idea, dude.

Just so you know, because you obviously don't, none of us here need to be schooled on any topic by a pajama boy such as yourself.
    Returns June 3rd.

Um, I already had a general idea, dude.
    Then why did you ask?

Just so you know, because you obviously don't, none of us here need to be schooled on any topic by a pajama boy such as yourself.
    Obviously you did, else-wise you wouldn't have asked, or tried to "prove me wrong".

Blah, blah, fucking blah......
    Um, the reason I asked the question is lost on you obviously, and you proved to me what I figured your reaction would be. Its hilarious just how predictable you are.
    Returns June 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast