Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Sunday

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thank you Funky. The really hot items for S&W are of course just about anything without an internal lock and it goes without saying any prewar S&W but those are high dollar. Anything with a 3" or shorter barrel is super hot like a Model 65, 66, 586. 686, etc. Personally I kind of like the standard, old school Model 10 and Model 64 guns in .38 Special. Now that being said I kind of like the 2nd & 3rd generation S&W autos like this M645 in 45ACP.

Some folks don't care for them since they tend too the large side for a bottom feeder but that just means there are deals to be had. I scored this one at Gander Mountain of all places a few years ago for $399.00 with both factory mags, box and accessories. The stocks are Pachmayr but they feel fine and the gun itself seems to have been fired very little. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find something you like at a fair price.

Ran across a few more in my photo album and thought they might give you some ideas on what you might like.

Model 38 Bodyguard from 1964

Model 25-14 in 45ACP IRRC they only made a few hundred of these.

Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman for the 1970's I think.

Thunder Ranch Model TR22 something or other in 45ACP. Haven't had it out in awhile so my memory is a tad foggy on the exact model number.

Here's a Model of 1950 38/44 Heavy Duty I posted in another thread. Love it!

Pretty sure this is a Model 14-2 or -3. Never version of the K38 Target Masterpiece. I say "newer" but I think it's a late 60's, early 70's revolver.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-23-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice looking auto! I actually haven't been reading anything about Smith autos and I the only ones I have any experience with are the SW99 and modern M&P series.

I share some of your tastes in revolvers I think. I love my Mod 19-4 4" that came from my dad and would like to have a 66, 586, or 686 with 4" or 6" barrels. But like I said I'd very happy with just about any thing. A Mod 15 "Combat Masterpiece" would be right up my ally, along with a mod 29, 629, 10, 13, 14, and also I really like the looks of the 28/ Highway Patrolman with both 4" and 6" barrels. And target grips on everything; I love target grips! If I got a brand new 686 I'd still put round-to-square conversion target grips on it.

One of the best parts about aquiring a taste for these revolvers is learning that my own smith is a sweet one, with pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, good bluing, and the "three T's" as you called it.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I'd also like to try a revolver with moon clips. Maybe a .45 or a 686P cut for moon clips. Just for the sake of being badass.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

And another question:

Are gunbroker prices jacked up or what? I was hoping you I could still find some used Smith .357 revolvers for under $500 for less desirable models like blued pistols with extra long barrels or nickel guns.

And is there anything that can be done with peeling nickle? Or should you just acquire a taste for worn nickle? I have no experience with nickle firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I'd also like to try a revolver with moon clips. Maybe a .45 or a 686P cut for moon clips. Just for the sake of being badass.
    Both the TR22 and the 25-14 I posted photos of use full moon clips as does my M610-2. Works better than a speedloader and you don't have to pick up six separate pieces of brass every time you eject the empties. I don't have anything in .357 that takes moon clips.........yet.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

And another question:

Are gunbroker prices jacked up or what? I was hoping you I could still find some used Smith .357 revolvers for under $500 for less desirable models like blued pistols with extra long barrels or nickel guns.

And is there anything that can be done with peeling nickle? Or should you just acquire a taste for worn nickle? I have no experience with nickle firearms.
    Several variable with auctions. Two or more bidders that really want the item can drive the price or some folks will buy their own stuff at a high price, eat the fee and try and set a new price standard for the item. Say it costs you $100 in fees to buy your own guy for $2000. You relist it in a few weeks or a month with different photos with a Buy It Now of $1500. Even though it's only worth $1000 some guy sees it, looks around and see something like it sold for $2000 and figures $1500 is a steal.

With flaking nickel you really can't do much but live with it or get it refinished. IMHO the biggest culprit is using bore cleaners that dissolve copper. They copper plate the gun before they apply the nickel. If that cleaner gets under the nickel anyplace and dissolves the copper you now have a void and bare metal under the nickel. Void + bare metal leads to rust and nickel won't stick well to either.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Several variable with auctions. Two or more bidders that really want the item can drive the price or some folks will buy their own stuff at a high price, eat the fee and try and set a new price standard for the item. Say it costs you $100 in fees to buy your own guy for $2000. You relist it in a few weeks or a month with different photos with a Buy It Now of $1500. Even though it's only worth $1000 some guy sees it, looks around and see something like it sold for $2000 and figures $1500 is a steal.

With flaking nickel you really can't do much but live with it or get it refinished. IMHO the biggest culprit is using bore cleaners that dissolve copper. They copper plate the gun before they apply the nickel. If that cleaner gets under the nickel anyplace and dissolves the copper you now have a void and bare metal under the nickel. Void + bare metal leads to rust and nickel won't stick well to either.
    Thank you for this advice.

If I get a nickle gun I'll make sure to clean it with CLP only and not touch it with Hoppe's.

I'm seeing things get reposted on gunbroker over and over. I think people just set a high price there or something.

For example that Detroit special edition I posted a while back has been reposted at the same price two times already since then.

I'm seeing things get reposted on gunbroker over and over. I think people just set a high price there or something.

For example that Detroit special edition I posted a while back has been reposted at the same price two times already since then.
    I feel like some folks don't really want to sell but figure that if they put a high enough price on it someone eventually will bite. I can't remember his name at the moment but there was/is a Guy out west that always seems to have some fairly rare S&W and Colt firearms. His prices always seemed at least 50% higher than the going rate but if you checked his website, stuff eventually sold.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12