Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Primer strikes, NHM-91

Light Primer strikes, NHM-91

Hey All,
    Recently purchased an NHM-91 and finally got it to the range....unfortunatly about half of the rounds did not fire due to light primer strikes. Did some looking online and it seems the NHM-91 is a bit notorious for this issue due to a shortened firing pin and bolt and a "stepped" hammer. I'm planning on replacing the trigger group with a G2, which is a damn shame cause the stock pull is sweet, but what I'm wondering is if a euro bolt and pin would fit and function with the norinco carrier? Anybody have exp with this model or have some ideas? thanks
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

What brand of ammo?

WOLF, but never had any issues before...
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

I know one thing bud the Chinese trigger group in it now is going to be a lot better then the g2. Most everyone else will tell you the same on here that have a Chinese ak variant. Have you just tried a different firing pin?
    What's up my nigga's

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'm going to say firing pin also...

This was my first AK. The only miss fire I ever had was when I forgot to wind the drum... There has been cases through it.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    First check the firing pin for obvious damage. If it is ok, check the hole in the bolt to make sure there isn't a build up of brass in the area inside that the firing pin lives. I have seen a couple of AKs with light primer strikes that had a build up of metal that kept the firing pin from full travel.

i know, thats why id rather not replace the trigger group, the bolt is made shorter to accomodate the shorter firing pin so a straight swap probably wont work. the rifle has rarely been fired, but I will have to examine the pin some more. it almost seems like the step in the hammer doesn't make full contact with the pin. I will post internal pics tomorrow,
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I'm going to say firing pin also...

This was my first AK. The only miss fire I ever had was when I forgot to wind the drum... There has been cases through it.
    Nice! I need to finish the stock on mine...assuming I get it firing every time I pull the trigger
    nhm-91-2.jpeg
    Plato

I find it interesting that yours has a shorter bolt. Until now the only AKM I have ever seen with a bolt shorter than the standard AK/AKM/AK-74 bolt was/is the SAR-3.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74449to be fair the shorter bolt/pin was info i got from another thread regarding NHM light primer strikes, I only visually compared it to my yugo
    Plato

Ok, learned something new tonight! That old no rules thing for Chinese AK variants.

Pulled out my NHM-91 and a Poly Tech AKS-762 and the bolt from the NHM-91 was about 1/8 inch shorter, and yes the hammer had a special profile to it!

Thank you Kevlar for adding one more bit of knowledge to my brain!

your welcome, every day is a holiday. have you ever had any issues with your NHM?
    Plato

Hate to say this, but mine is a safe queen. Sorry.

Added this:

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I had an NHM 90, it was a 100% reliable AK variant, never owned the NHM91. Learned something new today.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Wow! Shorter bolt! Who knew! Have to remember this one in case I get one of these.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    WOLF, but never had any issues before...
    My cousin was having problems with light primer strikes useing the Hot Shot ammo, the primers are set low on the stuff. I've never had a problem with Wolf either.

I am wondering if a standard bolt and standard hammer would work in the NHM-91. One of these days I might take mine apart and try it, but right now going to let it ride since mine is a historical reference piece.

it seems like it would work as long as the carrier and new bolt fit up, i will keep my eyes open for a decent deal and try swapping it all out. lmk if theres a good site to get a complete bolt, trigger group and maybe a carrier at a decent price. thanks
    Plato

Update: upon further inspection the stepped face of the hammer was not making full/flush contact with the firing pin. Shaved a hair or 2 off and she runs like a Kenyan now. Also decided to redo the OD green stock it came with, the tiger stripes are ugly but it's growing on me. Just stained the other stock as well pics to follow.

021 (2).jpg
    Plato

Interesting to find that the hammer wasn't striking the bolt squarely, a problem with many SAR-3s but would have thought the Chinese would have paid closer attention. Glad to read that you fixed your rifle!!!

As for your paint, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or the owner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast