Thread: EBay Tells Users to Change Passwords After Hack Attack

EBay Tells Users to Change Passwords After Hack Attack

The popular online merchandise site eBay is urging its customers to change their passwords after hackers managed to slip into one of its databases months ago.

In a posting on the company’s website, eBay said a cyber-attack “compromised a database containing encrypted passwords and other non-financial data.”

Hackers broke into the database "between late February and early March," but eBay didn't detect a problem with employee log-in credentials -- which the hackers had hijacked -- until about two weeks ago, the statement said.

The company assured customers that it's seen “no evidence of any unauthorized access to financial or credit card information, which is stored separately in encrypted formats.”

“However,” the company said, “changing passwords is a best practice and will help enhance security for eBay users.”
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ebay-t...ry?id=23809703

If you ebay you might want to change your pw.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I hate egay. Now they're taking a percentage of shipping costs too which is driving that up. They charge you to list, they charge when it sells, they charge again when you accept money through paypal and now they want some of your shipping charges too.

People I know say the same things as you have, that they're asking for too much for what they do and I agree. Pp is just as bad. Pp will charge 3 percent of all funds transferred - now if they topped it at a max of say 3 or 10 bucks I'd be ok when you transfer 2k, but no.

I have long felt teh innernets needs some competition; an ebay that doesn't rape, pp likewise, and a flash player that doesn't glitch. Whoever can pull that ebay thing off will get a lot of business.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Your financial information isn't "compromised" but all of your personal info is. So basically they just gave away your identity to whoever. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh